Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck front caliper pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
Heard some metal grinding so I took off the front caliper and the pads are gone. The pistons are maxed out and they won't go back in even with a C-clamp. I cracked the bleeder valves and no help. Any ideas out there?
Chi-town
Pop them all the way out and inspect for corrosion
Dave_Darling
PMB Performance. Send them in and get them rebuilt.

--DD
porschetub
The pistons have stuck in the caliper bores,that will do it.
sixnotfour
Round file it,, lottsa parts in the portland area..
r_towle
you should be able to wrap the top area with a few rounds of duct tape, then use vice grips to get the piston to turn back and forth just a little bit to free it up.

You can also use a high pressure air hose through the inlet and blow the piston out...but it may not work with too much corrosion.

Try not to put teeth marks in the piston, but if you must just grab the top 1/8 that never goes into the cylinder area.

rich
Superhawk996
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2019, 10:15 AM) *

you should be able to wrap the top area with a few rounds of duct tape, then use vice grips to get the piston to turn back and forth just a little bit to free it up.

You can also use a high pressure air hose through the inlet and blow the piston out...but it may not work with too much corrosion.

Try not to put teeth marks in the piston, but if you must just grab the top 1/8 that never goes into the cylinder area.

rich

Please try to avoid the vice grips -- only as absolute last resort. If high pressure air won't blow them out they are in really bad shape anyway and then at that point, you're probably in for new calipers.

I've never found the duct tape thing to be that much help it's far too soft. Thin 0.040 - 0.060 copper strip will work much better to prevent vice grip jaw teeth markings and metal deformation on the top of the piston.
r_towle
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 12 2019, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2019, 10:15 AM) *

rich

Please try to avoid the vice grips -- only as absolute last resort. If high pressure air won't blow them out they are in really bad shape anyway and then at that point, you're probably in for new calipers.

I've never found the duct tape thing to be that much help it's far too soft. Thin 0.040 - 0.060 copper strip will work much better to prevent vice jaw teeth markings and metal deformation.

Its all in the technique I guess. smile.gif
YMMV.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.