Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chirping / clunking noises
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Retroracer
Guys / gals: in need of some experienced opinion. On the drive back from LA I noticed a chirping noise related to road wheel rotation coming from the LHS rear of the car at lowish (20-40mph) speeds when loaded / accelerating. Dabbing the brakes didn't affect it (hoping it was a pad rubbing!) but pushing the car to higher (freeway) speeds made it go away.

So - how do I determine whether this is CV joint failure or a diff/transaxle issue? Swap the drive shafts L and R and see if the noise moves? The wheel bearings have less than 1k miles and feel tight and smooth.

I'll dig into it more tomorrow but suggestions welcome!

- Tony
GeorgeRud
I’d suspect a CV joint over the differential. Maybe try to jack each side independently and see if there’s any play when you try to rotate a rear wheel back and forth before swapping axles? I’m assuming trans fluid levels are normal and you didn’t roll the car around on the new rear bearings without hubs/axles installed.
Retroracer
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 12 2019, 07:34 PM) *

I’d suspect a CV joint over the differential. Maybe try to jack each side independently and see if there’s any play when you try to rotate a rear wheel back and forth before swapping axles? I’m assuming trans fluid levels are normal and you didn’t roll the car around on the new rear bearings without hubs/axles installed.

Yep, will get it up on stands tomorrow - fluid levels are normal. Did NOT roll car about without full drive assembly in place.

Thx for the response and suggestions,

- Tony
Olympic 914
Check that the spring clips on the CV joints are still in place. had one come loose and it let the axle walk side to side and was contacting the flange at the trans.

The axle can't go anywhere but it made some noise. mine was only really noticeable on turns.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have had rear wheel bearings do this in the past

QUOTE(Retroracer @ May 12 2019, 06:25 PM) *

Guys / gals: in need of some experienced opinion. On the drive back from LA I noticed a chirping noise related to road wheel rotation coming from the LHS rear of the car at lowish (20-40mph) speeds when loaded / accelerating. Dabbing the brakes didn't affect it (hoping it was a pad rubbing!) but pushing the car to higher (freeway) speeds made it go away.

So - how do I determine whether this is CV joint failure or a diff/transaxle issue? Swap the drive shafts L and R and see if the noise moves? The wheel bearings have less than 1k miles and feel tight and smooth.

I'll dig into it more tomorrow but suggestions welcome!

- Tony

Retroracer
Click to view attachment

SO after replacing the LHS CV joints the issue seems to have gone away. Wheel bearing seems tight and working well.

Thx to AutoAtlanta for the refurbished parts. Of note, I also used the 914 Rubber bolts that can be safety wired, which is a cool option.

Once again, am reminded that there are a handful of vendors without whom maintaining and modifying our wonderful, funky, aging vehicles would be almost impossible. Shout out to all those guys - you know who you are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.