Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Fatarse
Right rear brake looks to have locked up after a recent caliper rebuild (less than 50 miles). I followed a pelican article and loosened the hex by going clockwise...wouldn’t twist counter. Brake pads look like they are glued to the rotor though...if anyone is in Phoenix area, there’s a six pack for anyone wanting to come to the garage and help me get the car on the road.
Chi-town
Did you set the gap originally?

Are the parking brake cables moving freely and not keeping tension on the caliper?

Is the brake pedal returning all the way (can you pull up on it?)
Fatarse
Thanks Chi-Town. Autobahn Garage rebuilt the calipers, so I did not set the gap. Can’t really tell about the brake cables, but the brake pedal is all the way up. I am trying to get the piston to return to the housing, but don’t know how far to turn the adjuster clockwise. Pads looked glued to the rotors at this point and rotor will not turn by hand.

Chi-town
Ok, there's an adjuster on both pistons in each caliper. Removed both caps (need to go through the hole in the trailing arm for the inside one) and unscrew the adjuster till you see the pad start to move back towards the caliper. Some times you have to push a little on the pad while turning the adjuster.

Once you get them backed off then you can set the correct gap.
Fatarse
Does the caliper need to be removed in order to loosen the inner adjuster?
Chi-town
No, you'll need an Allen key socket and a 10-12" extension
Fatarse
Local shop thinks it’s an issue with the parking brake. Anyone know someone in Phoenix that can work on this with me?
rjames
QUOTE(Fatarse @ May 14 2019, 08:24 PM) *

Local shop thinks it’s an issue with the parking brake. Anyone know someone in Phoenix that can work on this with me?

Should be obvious if the parking brake is on. You can see the cable where it attaches to the caliper. Is it slack or taut? Once you see where it connects you’ll be able to tell how to disconnect or loosen the cable.

Chi-town
Simply pull the little pin out at the connection from the cable to the caliper.

If the cable is stuck the caliper will release when the pin is pulled
Fatarse
This sounds incredibly simple, but any pictures or diagrams of what pin I’m supposed to pull?
mepstein
QUOTE(Fatarse @ May 16 2019, 08:29 PM) *

This sounds incredibly simple, but any pictures or diagrams of what pin I’m supposed to pull?

The pin that connects the end of the ebrale cable to the ebrake lever arm on the caliper. It has a tiny c-clip on the end. On the east coast they are always corroded over so I get them cherry red with map gas and then work it loose.
Fatarse
Trying to take the pads out. Tried using a screwdriver, but not wiggling at all. Any suggestions?
Fatarse
Got one pad out, but no luck on the inner. Rotor still won’t rotate...any thoughts?
Fatarse
After tapping the arm I was able to get the rotor to rotate and remove the inner brake pad. Everything looks clean.
rjames
QUOTE(Fatarse @ May 18 2019, 03:20 PM) *

Got one pad out, but no luck on the inner. Rotor still won’t rotate...any thoughts?

Did you check the parking brake cable yet? BTW, those calipers don’t look rebuilt to me. I’m not even sure they are rebuildable with all that corrosion.
davep
I agree with Robert. If the pads do not slip in and out of the pad cavity easily, then essentially the pads are seized. The pad cavity needs to be cleaned and coated to prevent corrosion and this sort of problem. Just putting new seals in the piston bores is NOT a rebuild. If the external surfaces of the caliper have not been cleaned, then the internal surfaces are probably at least as bad. That will just lead to continuing problems.
PMB does a full restoration job including new plating. That's a ticket to ride.
Fatarse
Thanks. Car is now at Exotic Motorwerks in Scottsdale. Hope they can give me an honest assessment of condition and what needs to be done to get it on the road.
rjames
QUOTE(Fatarse @ May 20 2019, 08:03 PM) *

Thanks. Car is now at Exotic Motorwerks in Scottsdale. Hope they can give me an honest assessment of condition and what needs to be done to get it on the road.

Decent calipers. PMB Performance https://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.