Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
71six
Other than the factory wheels what are available in either 5.5 or 6 inch width with correct back spacing for a stock body 914?

Thanks,
Mark
rhodyguy
Cip1.com
dr914@autoatlanta.com
correct back spacing, eliminates the empi style and riviera style. Not many wheels are made for the 914 that are reasonable and with the correct back spacing.

Fuchs reproduction wheels have it
Mahle gas burner reproduction wheels have it

a guy now makes 7 x17 inch wheels with the correct back spacing as well

These days, most are installing the original wheels on their 914s as they are the best. One neat thing is to obtain , bead blast and powder paint the original 74-76 stock steel wheels that are date stamped.

QUOTE(71six @ May 15 2019, 06:38 AM) *

Other than the factory wheels what are available in either 5.5 or 6 inch width with correct back spacing for a stock body 914?

Thanks,
Mark

betz
I was wondering, I'm looking at the 4x130 Enkei Compe.
Anyone tried these wheels on a 914? They're 15x5.5, 4x130, 17mm inset. I'm looking for a quality watanabe style wheel to put on my 914 that won't break the bank. I'm thinking with the enkei's it might be pushing it on a narrow body. I don't want GT flares, though I'm open to some more subtle flaring or just rolling the fenders. I would want 195's or 205's for tires probably.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 15 2019, 08:55 AM) *

correct back spacing, eliminates the empi style and riviera style. Not many wheels are made for the 914 that are reasonable and with the correct back spacing.

George,

The original run of Rivieras like on mine were the correct 914 back spacing.

Click to view attachment

They would've been a 1972 run, because the original new sold dealer put them on & took off the 2L Fuchs when the OO got it in Nov 72. Rivs were an easy way to get the 5-spoke look without hub conversion back in the day.

It was later runs that went to one generic VW-914 back spacing, & IIRC that was on the later repops with the lip for balancing weights. Those will sit tight on the rear fenders unless "rolled".

Yes - I do now have a nice set of 5 restored Fuchs 2Ls to go back on for concours & when originality matters. shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris914n6
For 205 tires you will need a 40mm offset in a 5.5" width, and even that's tight.

Those 17mm offset wheels are almost an inch closer to the fender. You have to be careful when looking for 914 fitting wheels on an aircooled VW site.

QUOTE(betz @ May 15 2019, 11:09 AM) *

Anyone tried these wheels on a 914? They're 15x5.5, 4x130, 17mm inset. I'm looking for a quality watanabe style wheel to put on my 914 that won't break the bank. I'm thinking with the enkei's it might be pushing it on a narrow body. I don't want GT flares, though I'm open to some more subtle flaring or just rolling the fenders. I would want 195's or 205's for tires probably.

Racer
if willing to run a 6.5x15, you could source some Minilite wheels.. They made them in both 4 and 5 bolt patterns that fit a 914.

http://minilite.co.uk/application.php?a_make=PORSCHE

back in the 1980s, I ran a set of 6x14 minilites front and Panasports on the back. In the 1990s I was always the "second caller" when I would spot a set of the above mentioned 15" wheels.. doh!
betz
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 15 2019, 11:19 PM) *

For 205 tires you will need a 40mm offset in a 5.5" width, and even that's tight.

Those 17mm offset wheels are almost an inch closer to the fender. You have to be careful when looking for 914 fitting wheels on an aircooled VW site.

QUOTE(betz @ May 15 2019, 11:09 AM) *

I was under the impression the stock offset was 35mm?

In any case, I'm guessing to run these I'd have to run like 165's and roll my fenders. And I'm not going to roll my fenders for 165's haha. If I could conceivably run 195's I would consider these, even at the 17mm offset.

I emailed panasport and they don't seem to make 914 wheels anymore. Looks like minilite does though. But I'm almost certain it will be over $1k for the set.

Edit: oooo these look very promising!! https://www.vtowheels.com/914_c_162.html
71six
What are the actual specifications (backspace, offset, etc) necessary for the best fit on a standard narrow body? rolleyes.gif

Mark
thelogo
I would go for the vto wheels

But its a little hard to believe
They fit narrow body car s

sixnotfour
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 16 2019, 08:13 PM) *

read the listing with the proper offset add $30 ..@ 187 plus 30 ...makes them spendy for
914 wheels..
taylspin46
Performance plus has Empi 5.5x15 35mm offset. Very nice with Fuchs look.
r_towle
@dr914
Pics of 7 by 17 inch wheels? On a car?
sixnotfour
shades.gif
sfrenck
Guess wheels in the sixnotfour pic are these HPD Rader Wheels ??

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 11:35 PM) *

shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't think so they look awfully tight, and could be five inch. The riviera wheels were always made for vw beetles that had the fender sticking out from the body of course. They always fit a 914 tightly towards the outside and one could never wear the widest tire, but of course at the time they were all shod with 165x15s which fit just fine

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 15 2019, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 15 2019, 08:55 AM) *

George,

The original run of Rivieras like on mine were the correct 914 back spacing.

Click to view attachment

They would've been a 1972 run, because the original new sold dealer put them on & took off the 2L Fuchs when the OO got it in Nov 72. Rivs were an easy way to get the 5-spoke look without hub conversion back in the day.

It was later runs that went to one generic VW-914 back spacing, & IIRC that was on the later repops with the lip for balancing weights. Those will sit tight on the rear fenders unless "rolled".

Yes - I do now have a nice set of 5 restored Fuchs 2Ls to go back on for concours & when originality matters. shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

rhodyguy
What are the odds the fenders have been rolled on that orange car? Better than 50/50?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes these were the ones I was writing about, guy spent a lot of time developing these wheels for the 914 good job!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 08:35 PM) *

shades.gif

billh1963
The ATS wheels are growing on me....

Click to view attachment
betz
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 07:19 PM) *

read the listing with the proper offset add $30 ..@ 187 plus 30 ...makes them spendy for
914 wheels..

Or you can do their 16" ones already come with proper bolt pattern and offset. Would save around $60 a wheel, and the 16's look real nice imo.
71six
QUOTE(betz @ May 17 2019, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 07:19 PM) *

914 wheels..

Or you can do their 16" ones already come with proper bolt pattern and offset. Would save around $60 a wheel, and the 16's look real nice imo.

What are the chances of the VTO 7"x16" fitting a standard body (no rolled fenders) car? Assume 205 width tire at least, correct? idea.gif
betz
QUOTE(71six @ May 17 2019, 10:18 AM) *

What are the chances of the VTO 7"x16" fitting a standard body (no rolled fenders) car? Assume 205 width tire at least, correct? idea.gif

Same as a 15x7 et35, except you will be running lower profile tires to keep the diameter the same. I think it's a tight fit from what I hear but should fit. Personally I'm not scared of rolling the fenders (rather than "pulling"), it just folds up the inside piece of metal and doesn't affect anything aesthetically. Worst comes worst you could just run 195's which wouldn't be a crazy difference.

Disclaimer, I have not yet tried to run 205's et35 on a 914, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that fitment.
campbellcj
Years ago I had some Panasport wheels (Minilite style), which were awesome. 15x7 4x130 as I recall, and I ran 205 tires. Loved that setup but not sure how available this type of wheel is anymore.
Literati914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 10:35 PM) *

shades.gif

Wow! Usually not a fan of 17" at all on a 914, from a visual stand point but that don't look half bad...what do they weigh?

You car looks great as a whole in that picture !! first.gif well done.
Larmo63
In my never to be humble opinion, stock 914 Fuchs wheels look the best done in their original finish.

Porsche got this one right and I don't care for the four lug wheels back painted black.
campbellcj
Actually I think the Panasports were 15x6
rick 918-S
I like the Enkei 92 style. They are very light.
Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 17 2019, 07:56 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Nice looking car ya got there, Bill poke.gif

ATS Classics are my favorite 4-lug wheels ... I think I have two more sets here ... one set destined for the '71 914, and maybe I'll toss the other set on the Ghia idea.gif

I have a set of 5-lug Classics as well, but they're 14x7". Don't remember the backspacing and offset, so I'm not sure if they'll fit my 912 (yet).
rhodyguy
A little curb rash. dry.gif better off buying like condition fuch wheels.
71six
This is a long shot but nonetheless I'll ask it. Has anyone actually mounted a set of the VTO 7 x 16 wheels on a stock bodied 914? If they would work with no fitment issues it would open up a wide variety of tire options not available with 15 inch wheels.

Thanks,
Mark
betz
QUOTE(71six @ May 21 2019, 08:13 AM) *

This is a long shot but nonetheless I'll ask it. Has anyone actually mounted a set of the VTO 7 x 16 wheels on a stock bodied 914? If they would work with no fitment issues it would open up a wide variety of tire options not available with 15 inch wheels.

Thanks,
Mark

This guy looks like he did

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=219941
burton73
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 17 2019, 07:56 AM) *

Click to view attachment

They are great looking wheels if the finish is good. If cast then a RS paint finish look. If forged, polished and anodised

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.