Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail Panel Vinyl on New Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
I want to glue on my sail panel vinyl but I've been warned to give the paint plenty of time to gas off. It's been about six weeks now. Is that long enough?
mepstein
Ask your painter. But usually the longer the better.
defianty
Yeah, I guess that makes sense Mark.
Mikey914
I would think so, but yes ask. Also make sure the glue has fully flashed or you risk bubbles.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 16 2019, 07:45 AM) *

I would think so, but yes ask. Also make sure the glue has fully flashed or you risk bubbles.

@Mikey914 Can you explain what you mean by fully flashed?
mepstein
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 16 2019, 01:25 PM) *

The biggest mistake that people make when using contact cement is not letting it dry first. It's better to let it dry 2-3x as long as directions than too short. Also, the second coat will reactivate the first coat so again, let it dry. You usually need at least two coats on fabric.
914_7T3
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2019, 11:06 AM) *

The biggest mistake that people make when using contact cement is not letting it dry first. It's better to let it dry 2-3x as long as directions than too short. Also, the second coat will reactivate the first coat so again, let it dry. You usually need at least two coats on fabric.

What is the recommended brand of contact cement for sail panel vinyl?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
should be fine now, but when you do it put a light dry coat on first and use the 3m product

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 16 2019, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2019, 11:06 AM) *

What is the recommended brand of contact cement for sail panel vinyl?

Mikey914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 16 2019, 10:25 AM) *

I've become more if a fan of the Scotchweld product. You brush it on, but really you can make a bigger mess with rattle can stuff. You can pot it if you have a gun, butI brush.
Others have mentioned the flashing. Basically the stinky solvent smell will be gone and it will be sticky. Yes it's usually longer than directions say.
defianty
I spoke with the painter who confirmed the paint is dry enough to stick on the vinyl so that will be my next job.

I've been using this glue on the car for the carpet and interior vinyl and will use it again for the sail panels.

IPB Image

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1263...istant-adhesive

It's a high heat adhesive used in the trim industry and widely used to install vinyl roofs on classic cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.