Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering column interchangability?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deemsriddle
The steering column in my 1971 914 started out with problems starting. The starter would not engage every time but would always start eventually. Now the switch is hung up in the start position. I know that Ii need a new column, but wonder if the columns and interchangeable? The wiring should be doable, but are there any other considerations?
mepstein
Mine had issues. I found a replacement for the piece that was broken on the turn signal and sent my switch to “tweet” so the key would work properly. There was a little plate on the back of the switch that was broken and it needed cleaning and a new, non worn out key was made. I would repair what you have vs making a Frankenstein steering assembly. Later columns have the wiper on a stalk so adding a late into an early will never look right.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the easiest thing to do (although it is not that easy) is to replace the switch.

To change to the later column, you would have to weld brackets into your car and change the wiring harness around. NOT easy NOT fun

QUOTE(deemsriddle @ May 16 2019, 06:06 AM) *

The steering column in my 1971 914 started out with problems starting. The starter would not engage every time but would always start eventually. Now the switch is hung up in the start position. I know that Ii need a new column, but wonder if the columns and interchangeable? The wiring should be doable, but are there any other considerations?

deemsriddle
We got the steering column off and we have had a small fire. I looks like I need another column.
mepstein
QUOTE(deemsriddle @ May 16 2019, 02:08 PM) *

We got the steering column off and we have had a small fire. I looks like I need another column.

Like George said, The mid and late columns mount differently. There are a lot of early columns floating around from parts cars.
914Sixer
Some NOS columns on Ebay and the Samba.com Direct plug and play. NO hassles.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 16 2019, 08:26 AM) *
To change to the later column, you would have to weld brackets into your car and change the wiring harness around. NOT easy NOT fun

agree.gif

I put a '74 steering column and main wiring harness in my '70 car and it was a royal pain in the arse.

As the Dr. mentioned, i had to drill, grind and weld the column support under the dash to accept the '74 unit.

I also had to customize the steering shaft that goes down to the steering coupler since the attachment points on the column are in a different location and the geometry doesn't work (the u-joints will bind!), i had to shorten the downlink and re-groove the shaft for the bolts to get the correct geometry.

The wiring of the column was not problem for me since i also went with a complete '74 main harness. But that in itself was also no simple undertaking.

Trying to match the '74 column wiring to a early wiring harness looks like a nightmare since the stock connectors don't match and the wires don't match either.
For starters, early cars have the windshield wiper switch on the dash, not on the column. But there's more mismatch.

TL:DR
Tons of work, not worth it, wouldn't do it again ...

shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 16 2019, 02:21 PM) *

Some NOS columns on Ebay and the Samba.com Direct plug and play. NO hassles.

agree.gif pay the money, plug it in, done. good for another 50 years, priceless.
76-914
You can do it w/o welding but welding would be easier. And yes you'd want to get the appropriate harness. agree.gif with others comments and you'll need to change the dash metal trim piece as well. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 17 2019, 07:07 AM) *
You can do it w/o welding but welding

I don't see how this could be done without welding. The metal sub-frame is different from early to late.
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.