Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odometer stopped working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevend914
Noticed today that the odometer is not working but the speedometer does work. Tach also works. What do I need to do to fix?
PanelBilly
You need to fix the odometer. That was a silly question
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Somebody already started drinking
914sgofast2
I have tried 3 used speedometers in my 914, and none of them has had a working odometer, but the speedometer works fine. In dissassembling 2, I found that the gears were OK, but the shaft on which the odometer’s drive gear operates had worn an oval shaped hole in the body of the speedometer. This condition is not mentioned in the Pelican Parts thread on how to fix your speedometer’s gears, or in the Lapuwali classic thread on this forum. You will need to send the speedometer to a professional to get it fixed. It’s not a DIY job if the body needs to be drilled and rebushed.
mark04usa
Our member Dave Darling did a great repair write up on this common problem. I followed the steps Dave outlined and my odometer has been working now for over 5,000 miles. (Thanks, Dave!). Do a search and you'll find info on how to do this repair, it is on the Pelican board and probably here on the classic threads as well.

After the repair, remember to never reset the trip odometer while the vehicle is moving. beerchug.gif
76-914
agree.gif But get it out and look at it. If the body is good go for it. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.