Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbocharging a 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
electrolime
Hello there and pardon me for my igorance. I am new to the 914 community and have a few questions. How come I see no threads or anything on turbocharging 914s? Is there something I don't know? Is it really hard or expensive to turbocharge them? Where can I find information on turbocharging them? What would you use as fuel enrichment if you were to turbocharge a 914? Also, just add anything you know or any experience you have with turbocharging 914s.

Thanks!
-Pat
Verruckt
QUOTE (electrolime @ Jun 24 2005, 11:13 PM)
I am new to the 914 community and have a few questions. How come I see no threads or anything on turbocharging 914s?

It's because "you can't turbocharge a 914".

WooHoo! I'm the first to say it!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

J/k. It can, and has been done. Use the search feature, there will be plenty of threads on it.
Mueller
you can turbo a lawn mower if you want, a motor is a motor, does not matter what it is installed in smile.gif

plenty of turbo 914's here, a few /4's and a few /6's
....fuel managment handled by modified stock D-jet fuel injection (not the best method), CIS*, and aftermarket fuel injection.....prices range from just a few hundred bucks using junkyard parts to thousands of bucks...no kit's anymore, you'll have fab it all up...if serious, buy a few turbo books and do as much searching as possible...it normally falls into the category that if you have to ask how to do it, you shouldn't be attempting it....

*google it if you don't know what CIS is
iamchappy
Heres one for the asking.
iamchappy
And the latest version.
iamchappy
2 much fun
Britain Smith
Here is my turbo on a type-4 engine...in a 912 though.

-Britain

user posted image

user posted image
Evill Ed
Look here.

http://community.webshots.com/album/56139700KTKzDo

Ed
redshift
huh.gif

Anyways, yes, it is too hard, or too expensive.

M
airsix
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 25 2005, 06:29 AM)
huh.gif

Anyways, yes, it is too hard, or too expensive.

M

Miles, I think this is the first time I've ever dissagreed with you.

Not too hard. Not too expensive. BTDT. Worth the effort? Sure. Do it again? In a heartbeat.

-Ben M.
Maltese Falcon
yu kant turbochagre a 914 meng ... blink.gif
redshift
QUOTE (airsix @ Jun 25 2005, 01:17 PM)

Not too hard. Not too expensive. BTDT. Worth the effort? Sure. Do it again? In a heartbeat.

-Ben M.

It's too hard to do if you don't have sKillZ, and it's too expensive if you put it together in online catalogs. smile.gif

Oh my.. did you just say you'd do it again? Make a kit!

M
lapuwali
I don't agree with Miles too often, and don't disagree with Ben too often, but I have to here.

If you can do all of the wiring and whatnot for PEFI or you're willing to fit K-Jet off a VW and you can weld up exhaust tubing, then it's relatively cheap (could be done for under $500 if you used MS, borrowed a wideband, and got lucky on parts scrounging).

However, if you can't weld, and computers just confuse you, and wiring makes you gag, then paying someone else to devise a setup for you would not be cheap (by 914 standards).

The gains aren't going to be all that much with an otherwise stock engine. As you yourself said, Ben, you have a 1.7 turbo that makes about as much poke as a decent 2.0. Jake's comments suggest that adding a turbo to a big bore engine (anything over the 1.7 bore) is asking for serious head leaks. IMHO, pumping the boost up enough to get real power (150hp or more) is asking for serious cooling problems.
Brando
You can turbocharge a 914. Although, you may need an aftermarket programmable EFI system to fully manage the fuel and power produced.

Who's the guy who turbo'd his 914 and said at 3k+++++++++ rpms the power just kept coming?
redshift
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jun 25 2005, 02:01 PM)
I don't agree with Miles too often, and don't disagree with Ben too often, but I have to here.

See Ben! I TOLD YOU SO!

laugh.gif

M
nein14
Brando
That would be me, the owner of EvilEd's Turbo GT. driving.gif
airsix
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 25 2005, 11:05 AM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jun 25 2005, 02:01 PM)

See Ben! I TOLD YOU SO!

laugh.gif

M

So if it's too hard, and costs too much, and can't be done...
...and since I did it, and it was cheap, and not too hard...

I must be a figment of your imagination. Wow. That's deep. laugh.gif Miles, I'm flattered and all, but I've got a lot of work to do, and being imaginary is realy cutting into my productivity. blink.gif

As you yourself said, Ben, you have a 1.7 turbo that makes about as much poke as a decent 2.0
(James)

True - a 2.0 w/ carbs, header, and cam. I figure I'm getting about 130hp. I figure that's not too shabby for purely external mods. The thing is that if you want to you can learn about computers, and wiring, and welding. I did. That says to me that ANYBODY can. It's only hard while you're learning. It's kind of like a bad burn. It only hurts until the pain stops. laugh.gif

-Ben M.
redshift
In my imaginization, you have a quad turbo 914 /12... git busy.

smile.gif

M
airsix
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 25 2005, 12:35 PM)
In my imaginization, you have a quad turbo 914 /12... git busy.

smile.gif

M

It is a great honor to be a figment of your imagination. It's probably as close to imortality as I can get and still keep my day job. laugh.gif

From now on when I (accidentally) push somebody's wrong buttons here and start a ruckus like yesterday I can just tell everybody to chill. It aint real. I'm just a figment of Miles' imagination. I love it. This is going to be awsome. biggrin.gif

-Ben M-agination
Mueller
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 25 2005, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (airsix @ Jun 25 2005, 01:17 PM)

-Ben M.

It's too hard to do if you don't have sKillZ, and it's too expensive if you put it together in online catalogs. smile.gif

Oh my.. did you just say you'd do it again? Make a kit!

M

what do you expect, he plays the guitar, it only has 6 strings, everything is difficult for him....at least he could play a piano with 88 keys smile.gif

hide.gif
redshift
QUOTE (airsix @ Jun 25 2005, 08:15 PM)
It's probably as close to imortality as I can get and still keep my day job.  :lol:

HAH! Immortality ain't all that! Too many questions, without answers!

smile.gif

Mike, a piano is a percussive instrument, I leave that for the drummer... and sure, you may see 88 keys, but there's really only 12 diatonic ones...

biggrin.gif

M
turbo914v8
The absolute bottom line is that yes, you can turbo charge your 914 with whatever engine you have in it. With the pool of knowledge on this board I am sure that you would have at you disposal all the answers to any questions you may come across. Really the only thing you have to bring to the table is a decent mechanically sound 914, money for parts, and a willingness to have your 914 in pieces and on jack stands for 10 + years. idea.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.