Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - complete Subaru conversion kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
finchmunoz
Hi.

Does anyone know where I can get a complete Subaru conversion kit? Cradle, cable shifter, etc.

The daughter is gonna start driving it and needed to make it reliable... I want t include the Subaru transmission so easier to drive.

Also, is this "reversible"? Meaning I can put back my type4 engine by just unbolting and remounting?

Thanks
Finch
Chi-town
Nobody makes a good complete kit at the moment.

You can overpay for the renegade stuff which is questionable quality and is designed to fit with the 901 trans.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 20 2019, 11:33 AM) *

You can overpay for the renegade stuff which is questionable quality and is designed to fit with the 901 trans.

agree.gif

There are a few suppliers of different parts that will let you put together a “kit”.
Besides the suby trans, which is a good idea, what engine are you thinking of and how much work can you do yourself?

I think everything can be easily reversible in the future. Even some of the mods that people do, like holes and clamps for the radiator and a welded bulkhead engine mount wouldn’t be more work to reverse than typical rust repair.
Chris914n6
For the amount of money and effort to do a full swap you can make the VW reliable.
Chi-town
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 20 2019, 12:28 PM) *

For the amount of money and effort to do a full swap you can make the VW reliable.

Did you just VW and reliable in the same sentence? screwy.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 20 2019, 12:28 PM) *

True, but it will still be a 50yo antique with a diminishing supply of OEM parts. Throw a Subaru in there and when it's time for a repair you can get parts at an Auto Zone or throw another engine in it for <$1000.
finchmunoz
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 20 2019, 07:33 AM) *

Nah shifting a 901 tranny is something I've given up on really.
finchmunoz
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 20 2019, 08:59 AM) *

agree.gif

There are a few suppliers of different parts that will let you put together a “kit”.
Besides the suby trans, which is a good idea, what engine are you thinking of and how much work can you do yourself?

I think everything can be easily reversible in the future. Even some of the mods that people do, like holes and clamps for the radiator and a welded bulkhead engine mount wouldn’t be more work to reverse than typical rust repair.

Nothing too strong really. Just maybe the ej20 non-turbo.

I think the mounting is the easy part. It's the shifter I'm worried about. Does anyone know how to convert from the 914 shifter to a Subaru shifter? (Do I need to)?
mepstein
Sorry dp
mepstein
QUOTE(finchmunoz @ May 21 2019, 06:31 AM) *

agree.gif

Nothing too strong really. Just maybe the ej20 non-turbo.

I think the mounting is the easy part. It's the shifter I'm worried about. Does anyone know how to convert from the 914 shifter to a Subaru shifter? (Do I need to)?

A company called very cool parts.com makes a shifter, cable, linkage setup for the suby trans. Or you can just use their linkage and use a stock shifter from an mr2 and 7 foot cables.

@finchmunoz
Chi-town
SW20 MR2 shifter, cables and Bell crank system are readily available thanks to the FFR 818 guys.

Stick with an NA motor. Wether it's a 2.5 or a 3.0/3.6 they all make way more power than a beginner driver needs in a 914.

The turbo motors create headaches with intercooler mounting and air flow.

And stay away from the jdm imported engines!
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 21 2019, 10:42 AM) *

SW20 MR2 shifter, cables and Bell crank system are readily available thanks to the FFR 818 guys.

Stick with an NA motor. Wether it's a 2.5 or a 3.0/3.6 they all make way more power than a beginner driver needs in a 914.

The turbo motors create headaches with intercooler mounting and air flow.

And stay away from the jdm imported engines!

What's wrong with JDM engines???
finchmunoz

agree.gif

I'm in the Philippines. Labor is dirt cheap. So I guess I can have someone do the work for me. Problem is the "know how" and finding the right parts.

Traffic is so horrible here an stock 1.7L air-cooled engine with air conditioning will overheat here.
finchmunoz
So, anyone here recommend a kit to adapt an ej20 engine to my 71 using 901 transmission? Maybe I'd just get a rennshifter instead.

Chi-town
You can get the parts from Renegade hybrids of you want to keep the stock trans
Steve
Everything is reversible except for the hacking of the front trunk for the radiator.
Mueller
Kennedy Engineering will have a kit to adapt the engine and transmission together.
The rest of the swap has to be put together from other sources.

https://www.kennedyeng.com/engine-adapters
ahycaramba
From my experience I highly recommend doing the work yourself. You have control of quality over your own project. When you rely on others you are at their mercy financially and your projects definition of quality may not be at par with yours.
Other than the plenty of great advise and articles here on the world I have found a couple of good pages on Facebook that would benefit you.
“Subaru powered Porsches” and “Subaru Powered Volkswagens”
Good luck on your project.
914forme
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 30 2019, 12:55 PM) *

Everything is reversible except for the hacking of the front trunk for the radiator.

Even that is reversible if done correctly confused24.gif

welder.gif just like fixing rust, or that hole that got cut in the front for A/C by the dealer with a screwdriver and a can opener.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 30 2019, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 30 2019, 12:55 PM) *

that hole that got cut in the front for A/C by the dealer with a screwdriver and a can opener.

I've never seen a better description. 134.gif
thelogo
Drove my stock 1.7 for 7 years semi- daily.. Reliable as could be

After a 80 dollar tune up
Valves adj. Oil change, plugs , points etc
Chi-town
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 31 2019, 07:48 AM) *

Drove my stock 1.7 for 7 years semi- daily.. Reliable as could be

After a 80 dollar tune up
Valves adj. Oil change, plugs , points etc

The anomaly is not the norm wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.