Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it a fools errand to try to put engine tin on once the engine is installed in the car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
So I know it’ll be more difficult, I’m just not sure how much more difficult it would be to put engine tin on an engine once it is in the car?
mepstein
I'm told it's doable but ....

I know guys change the oil cooler with engine in the car but.....

I bet it's the same amount of time to do it either way but less cursing with the engine out.
914werke
yes
Tdskip
Got it - while out it is!
jim_hoyland
This may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeACshQJcHc
VaccaRabite
I've changed the engine tin while the engine was in the car.
I would not recommend it, but it is possible - and I think I did save time by not dropping the engine.

Zach
Chi-town
I did it in the car, not that bad
Dave_Darling
I have R&R'd the tin across the front, and the over-cylinder tin, plus the stuff under the cylinders. I haven't changed out the rear tin.

The most difficult of the stuff that I have done was the driver's side over-cylinder piece. It only wanted to go around the dipstick tube by turning at an angle that the sides of the engine bay made impossible. It took some fiddling and possibly some bending of stuff, but it did fit.

Lining up the screw holes was a pain for some of the parts. Made a bit easier by the fact that I was using Allen-head screws, not the stock slot-head screws. (Did I mention that I hate those things?)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.