Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woohooo!!! What a ride!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Took the Chalon out for a run this morning to meet up with Joe Sharp and Thomas at Donut Derilicks. Car ran perfect there and back. On the way home, I pulled out onto Adams and headed towards home and saw a 71 Z28 Rally Sport so I wanted to get a closer look at it since I had one just like it about 8 years ago. Didnt take much to catch up to him and then we pulled up to the light. We chatted about the car for a minute and he says, "Is that a small block Chevy in there?" I said yeah, just a little one. We took off from the light and I got on it a little and left him sitting there like he was nothing. I went through the gears in nothing flat and the car sounded so smooth and quiet. I really like it. So much power, so nice to drive. I am going to get it sanded down today and see if I can get it all one color and start driving it more often. I really like it!!! rocking nana.gif
Joe Bob
New trans or old trans?
skline
It was the first run with the new trans in. No strange noises anymore. Tires broke loose a little and that surprised me a little with a posi. Renegade is telling me the posi may not be a good thing with this car. They said it will destroy the gear box with so much torque from both sides. Anyone have anything to add to that? Do you think they are right? Should I pull the posi and go back to a peg leg?
Joe Bob
Power to BOTH sides versus to one side? To ME, you are spreading the stress to two differnt areas and lessening the load.

An LSD helps on launches and cornering....I don't see a down side. Plus that billet intermediate plate should keep the trans in one piece for a longer time.
Joe Bob
BTW....how did the H gear feel with the reduced RPMs?
skline
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 25 2005, 08:37 AM)
BTW....how did the H gear feel with the reduced RPMs?

I hardly even noticed it to be honest, I am hoping to meet someone else with an H gear to see how theirs is in comparison. I was expecting more of a drop from 4th to 5th. It sure is quiet though going down the road. The speedo doesnt work on this tranny either. I may not have got the little gizmo in right or something. The cable is brand new so that isnt it. Also, I had to put a spacer between the starter on this one that I didnt have to have with the old one. Didnt think there would be a difference in case size?
914GT
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 08:31 AM)
They said it will destroy the gear box with so much torque from both sides. Anyone have anything to add to that? Do you think they are right? Should I pull the posi and go back to a peg leg?

I think the 'theory' here is that the posi effectively doubles the amount of traction to the road, same as putting fatter tires on a stock transaxle. So with a high-torque engine you'll be more likely to damage the transaxle, you'll break the gears before you lose traction.
redshift
Be careful out there man, glad to hear you being happy DRIVING one, instead of happy WORKING on one!

smilie_pokal.gif

If you shift as smooth as Otto does, you can get alot out, without snapping the gerbil wheel. burnout.gif

M
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
the shlalom makes its debut!

hit the secondaries yet? cool_shades.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 09:31 AM)
It was the first run with the new trans in. No strange noises anymore. Tires broke loose a little and that surprised me a little with a posi. Renegade is telling me the posi may not be a good thing with this car. They said it will destroy the gear box with so much torque from both sides. Anyone have anything to add to that? Do you think they are right? Should I pull the posi and go back to a peg leg?

Yes they are right. LSD's are worthless and will only destroy your car, and empty your wallet. If you like, I will take it from you and dispose of it properly to eliminate any chance of financial hardship it may cost you. I will pm the shipping details. wink.gif
skline
Joe took some pictures since I forgot my camera this morning. There were some pretty trick cars down there, one that caught my eye was a 61 Nash Metropolitan that was nothing but tires and engine. Looked like an 871 blower with dual carbs and wheelie bars and the tires were almost touching in the middle they were so big and wide. There was even a soft blue 914 for sale out there today. Had some rust issues but it was a 73 S optioned 2 liter car. The only 2 liter option that was missing were the wheels. The guy wanted 4k for the car. A little high but it had potential.
jim912928
glad you got to open it up some...makes it all worthwhile!
Brando
I'd like to dissect your old 901 to see where the wierd noises were coming from.

Pics!

Next upgrade: 915 with a sideshifter conversion biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Except for the H gear, I used the same set up on a 3.0/6 with 260hp....beat the crap out of it and when it finally blew it was first gear....burnouts will do that.

901s are tuff...my ass dragger has the 915 with a 3.6...about 390hp....the little winky crowd says the same about the 915....it's always...my bud had one and he trashed it....Bullshit.

If ya toss the cookies on a 901...take the LSD and billet plate oiut and toss it in another one....
rick 918-S
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 07:31 AM)

bs.gif
dan10101
Great to hear this kind of news! Drive it!

My thought on LSD is basically the weakest link theory. If you put 300+hp to a car, you're going to find the weakest link. If you have skinny tires, then that may be the weakest link. Lots of tire smoke. If you have a tired half shaft or tranny, you'll find it. If you have an open diff with slicks or 255 street tires cool_shades.gif then you're likely to find out if any of your other parts are weak. POSI and big meats will require a stout drive train or a weak right foot.

Or you could just putt around town and rev the engine at stoplights...

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jun 25 2005, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 07:31 AM)

bs.gif

It's not torque FROM both sides....

It is torque hooking up to the pavement at both sides of the transaxle.

That adds stress to the whole drive system.

With the rear tires grabbing the pavement, the trans is forced to take more torque stress.
Andyrew
Scott, just throw out the posi, and do lots of one legged burn outs!

then give it to me...

You have a stout trani, Im sure it can handle the posi, besides, its just a little extra traction, Just dont do any launches and you'll be fine. If you ever autox or race it, you'll find that the posi will help, just a itty bit because you'll break the rear end loose anyways with just a 1/8th of the throttle on a turn...(autox)

Andrew

btw... YAY!!! finally...
redshift
Yeah man... it's about how much torque you are milling, and what's actually sticking.

You could be putting out 385lbs/ft on the tq, but only sticking 10lbs.. then you are ok.. laugh.gif

M
Elliot_Cannon
I'm on a trip right now but will be home on the 3rd. Don't break the damn thing until I get home and have a chance to get a good ride in it. driving.gif biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
skline
Well, it's only a bone stock 283 putting out about 175 HP so I should be fine. biggrin.gif

Besides, the little skinny tires on the rear (245X50) I am sure they just turn really easy and I should have no problem with it when I punch it in 3rd gear. biggrin.gif

We will see how it goes. confused24.gif
DrifterJay
...well see how it goes....

I have heard that one before biggrin.gif ....
spare time toys
Hey Drifter long time since I have seen from you. hows it going over there?
skline
QUOTE (DrifterJay @ Jun 25 2005, 02:49 PM)
...well see how it goes....

I have heard that one before biggrin.gif ....

Bite me stranger, when you coming home???

Look for pictures of it in all white this weekend. It should look a lot different. I will be shooting it either today or tomorrow.
MattR
Sweet! smilie_pokal.gif

thats great to hear scott. will you take me for a ride if i stop by soon?

have you decided on a color???
Aaron Cox
awesome scotty...

i need a ride smile.gif

AA
snflupigus
I cant believe that people here would be whining about too much traction could break your trans... if you want to go fast... 1 tire spinning wont cut it.
Duffster
Cooooo Meng! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I'm just putting a lsd, billet intermediate plate, 930 cut syncros, oil cooler and spray bars into my box...(since Z wouldn't sell me his for $300 biggrin.gif ) to handle what comes out of my moto. The prevailing theory is that this is the set up that allows mid-engine buggies to run the monster motors without turning into dust. We'll see. You know what I always say sometimes, "a fool and his money are soon popular" beerchug.gif
skline
Ok, First picture. Here is the front end in White Polyester primer. The fumes from this are really strong. Dont know how long it takes to dry but it's been about 10 minutes now and it is still very tacky. I am doing it in sections since it is primer. This will give you a general idea of what it will look like. I am happy.
Aaron Cox
yay scotty.... smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

skline
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 25 2005, 06:30 PM)
It still looks like a Chalon (sp?). No amount of paint can hide that biggrin.gif

I know, aint it cool!!! I have wanted one of these since the mid 80's, my dream is almost here. smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
Needs stickers...
skline
I gotta tell you Mike, that one you stuck on the front at the BBQ didnt want to come off very easy, I had to sand it off.
Aaron Cox
dat wascally wabbit! mueba.gif lol2.gif
Howard
Way to go Scott. smilie_pokal.gif Who we gonna abuse when the Shalom runs and looks good?
skline
QUOTE (Howard @ Jun 25 2005, 06:48 PM)
Way to go Scott. smilie_pokal.gif Who we gonna abuse when the Shalom runs and looks good?

Brando, he is here now trying to fit the new front sway bar he got. It seems to be a lot of trouble, I hope it is worth it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Howard @ Jun 25 2005, 06:48 PM)
Way to go Scott.  :trophy:  Who we gonna abuse when the Shalom runs and looks good?

Brando, he is here now trying to fit the new front sway bar he got. It seems to be a lot of trouble, I hope it is worth it.

lol

it can only fit 2 ways....
what trouble is he having??? wacko.gif
skline
Just getting it in and getting it adjusted. He should have it done in another hour or so.
Brando
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 25 2005, 04:02 PM)
Ok, First picture. Here is the front end in White Polyester primer. The fumes from this are really strong. Dont know how long it takes to dry but it's been about 10 minutes now and it is still very tacky. I am doing it in sections since it is primer. This will give you a general idea of what it will look like. I am happy.

Wait... it's missing something...

That's it! Stripe it, clear-coat it, and you're ready to rock. rolleyes.gif
Jeroen
so, what color did you decide on???

[edit] duh... never mind headbang.gif [/edit]
ewdysar
I'm not sure that installing an LSD on a non-race V8 914 is worth the spend, but if it's already in, i wouldn't take it out. My RH 4spd 901 (no LSD) leaves dual stripe burnouts if the car is going straight. Around corners the light wheel spins first, though the outside tire will break loose as well with any real throttle. Scott at RH did say that an LSD can be more of a handful when power drifting in close quarters (walled on ramps, etc.) but I would expect that's true with most higher HP cars. This can be overcome with better driving (try riding with Scott sometime) but I don't expect my heavy throttle experience to accumulate that fast.

I believe that the theory behind the open diff being easier on the tranny is that as the torque is building in the system, a single tire will let go, reducing driveline stresses before both tires break loose with an LSD. It's still the weakest link plan, and before anyone claims that there's no point in a V8 with an open diff (that durn thing'll never get off the ground) just go for a ride, or better yet drive one.

Eric

PS. Scott once performed a bootleg turn from a standing start in a parking structure with throttle in a normal aisle. I don't think that the left front tire rolled 1/2 complete turn before we were going the other way very quickly. Kinda like that video clip of Scott and the Peel from Mulholland drive that was posted a while back. Scary but fun.
MattR
I got a ride in the chalon today. What a badass car!!! Scott did a great job building the thing. There was a bunch of traffic, so he kept the speed reasonable, but the engine pulls hard, and when you're in the passenger seat you cant tell its a chalon biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Scott,
Maybe you can bring the tranny wih the noise over to Joe's this weekend. We can at least take it apart and see WTF you did to it biggrin.gif I think that it would be a great learning experience for everyone.

I just finished working on the two I have now. I couldn't pound on anything since it is after nidnight, so I just decided to call it a night.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (ewdysar @ Jun 28 2005, 02:13 PM)
I'm not sure that installing an LSD on a non-race V8 914 is worth the spend, but if it's already in, i wouldn't take it out. My RH 4spd 901 (no LSD) leaves dual stripe burnouts if the car is going straight. Around corners the light wheel spins first, though the outside tire will break loose as well with any real throttle. Scott at RH did say that an LSD can be more of a handful when power drifting in close quarters (walled on ramps, etc.) but I would expect that's true with most higher HP cars. This can be overcome with better driving (try riding with Scott sometime) but I don't expect my heavy throttle experience to accumulate that fast.

I believe that the theory behind the open diff being easier on the tranny is that as the torque is building in the system, a single tire will let go, reducing driveline stresses before both tires break loose with an LSD. It's still the weakest link plan, and before anyone claims that there's no point in a V8 with an open diff (that durn thing'll never get off the ground) just go for a ride, or better yet drive one.

Eric

PS. Scott once performed a bootleg turn from a standing start in a parking structure with throttle in a normal aisle. I don't think that the left front tire rolled 1/2 complete turn before we were going the other way very quickly. Kinda like that video clip of Scott and the Peel from Mulholland drive that was posted a while back. Scary but fun.

Ohhhh, where can I get a copy of the peel in action??? clap.gif clap.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif !!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.