Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal reinstall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,
Installing new switches into steering column and also did the electric motor pump washer upgrade. I am having a heck of a time getting both of the windshield wiper and turn signal wire housings to fit back through the steering column channel. There has to be something I am doing wrong. Anyone with any experience doing this, your feedback and help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Gary
Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(Wew @ May 22 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Hi all,
Installing new switches into steering column and also did the electric motor pump washer upgrade. I am having a heck of a time getting both of the windshield wiper and turn signal wire housings to fit back through the steering column channel. There has to be something I am doing wrong. Anyone with any experience doing this, your feedback and help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Gary
Click to view attachment

Nice photo. As I recall the wires can be hard to stuff into place. Where did you get the switches from?
JeffBowlsby
That’s the bottom view, it’s up side down. Did you know that?
jcd914
The new wiper switch you are using has the electrical contacts for the washer pump and so it has a different wire guide for the extra wires. It is too wide to fit in the steering column.
The plastic wire guide from the old wiper switch has to be transferred to the new wiper switch.
You end up with the wires in the same slots.

Jim
worn
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 22 2019, 08:22 PM) *

The new wiper switch you are using has the electrical contacts for the washer pump and so it has a different wire guide for the extra wires. It is too wide to fit in the steering column.
The plastic wire guide from the old wiper switch has to be transferred to the new wiper switch.
You end up with the wires in the same slots.

Jim

I haven’t done this for a few years but I seem to remember that you end up with the washer pump wires not fitting the old plastic loom and having to go through loose. Not too easily either. The pump wires also need separate connections to non original wires that one runs to the pump.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you will have to use the wire channel from your old switch and stagger the extra wire on top. A direct fit on the 75 76 models however but not on the 72-74
Wew
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 23 2019, 07:10 AM) *

you will have to use the wire channel from your old switch and stagger the extra wire on top. A direct fit on the 75 76 models however but not on the 72-74

Hi all,

Thanks much for the input. Much appreciated. pray.gif
Bleyseng
which switch did you use?
seanpaulmc
Please post a similar picture with the old wire loom in place before you reinstall. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.