Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could hot tranz oil change shifting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
90* air temp on drive home. Spent 40 minutes at 70 mph, 3400 rpm. All systems normal.
CHT 350
OP 35
OT 220 230 at re-start
Oil is brad penn 20 w 50
Tranz oil is 80w90

I stopped at the post office for 5 minutes. Upon re-start the tranz did some ruffer than ever seen grinding going into reverse. Has not done that in a long time for any reason. I just had the tranz out. Replaced throwout bearing, clutch cable, clutchpedal shaft bushing. All had been well til this extra semi-hot drive. Re-pedalled to make sure i had the clutch fully down and i did.

Wonder what caused it.
Chi-town
Hot gear lube and a hot clutch can both cause shifting issues
ChrisFoley
That sounds more like a need for clutch cable adjustment.
There's no synchro on reverse so proper adjustment is more critical than with the other gears.
When the oil gets hot enough to cause problems, they are more substantial than a little grind going into reverse.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ May 23 2019, 07:37 AM) *

There's no synchro on reverse so proper adjustment is more critical than with the other gears.
When the oil gets hot enough to cause problems, they are more substantial than a little grind going into reverse.

Agree also look at the linkage, a hot engine distorts things like the mounts, etc. sightly, but enough to move the linkage a hair out of alignment. Try adjusting the linkage hot. Make sure the shifter adjustment is good. Worn rubber mounts also does this.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 23 2019, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ May 23 2019, 07:37 AM) *

Agree also look at the linkage, a hot engine distorts things like the mounts, etc. sightly, but enough to move the linkage a hair out of alignment. Try adjusting the linkage hot. Make sure the shifter adjustment is good. Worn rubber mounts also does this.

Hot Adjustment sounds like the way to go.

At lunch today, OT got up to 220. all else is fine. Same deal, super grinding in R. Had to turn the car off, shift to R, start car and back up.....

I think I will do the hot cable adjustment after work today.

Thanks.
malcolm2
Well Happy Hour kept me from car work yesterday..... But this morning, I made a run for some coffee and warmed up the oil to 200*F. Even at 200 I could feel and hear a bit of grinding going into R.

So once home, checked the pedal play, then adjusted the cable nut. 1-1/2 turns. Still good clutch play and took it for a drive. OT still at 200 and I had smooth reverse shifting and a bit easier 1st shifting.

Thanks for the tip. I think we are on to something.

UPDATE: OT hit 230 in the stop and go traffic on the way home from work. Air temp was 93*F. Shifting went great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.