Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 liter Stock rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
I had too many 1.7L parts to justify "throwing them away" or parting out so I decided to go the other way and do a complete rebuild and assembly of a spare "W" series block. This was my second rebuild 1.7L and infinitely more fun than the first which is in my '70. It will be plug and play and play ready for a nice deserving owner that doesn't want to do all the work. Besides the core part of the rebuild, I tackled some of the common issues that we encounter AFTER a rebuild that leaves us with more problems that require trouble shooting rather than enjoying our new motors. Some amenities include reconditioned fuel injectors by RC Fuel Injection, rebuilt MPS by yours truly, electric fuel pump, completely re-worked, reconditioned engine harness and matching ECU. Will post complete rebuild spex in classified when I'm done next month. Click to view attachment
pgollender
Click to view attachment
pgollender
Click to view attachment
Literati914
That looks clean, well done! What paint did you use on that fan shroud?
thelogo
agree.gif

I was just gonna say i like the clean look and its spotless
pray.gif
pgollender
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 25 2019, 05:45 PM) *

That looks clean, well done! What paint did you use on that fan shroud?

I used a VHT rattle can high temp paint, called " Cast Aluminum" and baked it at 275 for two hours. It came out way better than I thought it would.

"1971 Volvo 1800E, Grigio Medio"

Literati, I would love to see pictures of your 1800.
Superhawk996
piratenanner.gif

Beautiful work. Always love to see someone keeping them stock. Well, stock never looked that nice but you know what I mean. shades.gif
Spoke
Looks great! Too bad the engine will be put in a car and get dirty.

BTW, if you painted the fan shroud, the mounting surfaces to the engine should be clear of paint since those 4 points are the main ground return for the alternator. Chances are you'll be ok if you didn't powder coat the shroud. Zach had a ton of alternator issues before realizing that powder coating the shroud increases the ground resistance to the alternator.
Literati914
QUOTE(pgollender @ May 26 2019, 10:05 AM) *

I used a VHT rattle can high temp paint, called " Cast Aluminum" and baked it at 275 for two hours. It came out way better than I thought it would.

"1971 Volvo 1800E, Grigio Medio"

Literati, I would love to see pictures of your 1800.

Thanks for the paint info, I'll be buying some. I had tons of pics of my volvo 1800E on my dead old phone and my dead old dell laptop...here's a couple crappy shots I do have tho:

IPB Image
Literati914
It's not quite finished yet:

IPB Image[b]
pgollender
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 26 2019, 12:19 PM) *

Looks great! Too bad the engine will be put in a car and get dirty.

BTW, if you painted the fan shroud, the mounting surfaces to the engine should be clear of paint since those 4 points are the main ground return for the alternator. Chances are you'll be ok if you didn't powder coat the shroud. Zach had a ton of alternator issues before realizing that powder coating the shroud increases the ground resistance to the alternator.

Good to know, I can remove the paint at those places before final assembly. This is what's great about this forum. Always someone to help you out on what you've over-looked.
pgollender
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 26 2019, 08:42 PM) *

IPB Image[b]

That is a beautiful car. It runs the same or similar Bosch D-jet set up as the 914's doesn't it ?
I am surprised I don't see these mentioned in our group. It seems to be a forgotten little gem just like our 914's.

Let me know if you know of someone wanting to sell a project one. I always loved that car since Roger Moore drove it in "The Saint ".
Literati914
QUOTE(pgollender @ May 27 2019, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 26 2019, 08:42 PM) *

IPB Image[b]

That is a beautiful car. It runs the same or similar Bosch D-jet set up as the 914's doesn't it ?
I am surprised I don't see these mentioned in our group. It seems to be a forgotten little gem just like our 914's.

Let me know if you know of someone wanting to sell a project one. I always loved that car since Roger Moore drove it in "The Saint ".

Thanks - Yep, it's the same D-jet system.. I haven't cross referenced the numbers yet (my cars are in off site storage atm), but Id bet the d-jet pieces interchange in some instances. Mines got the hi compression B20E engine. These are indeed forgotten gems, and relatively affordable from a project perspective - good parts availablity too. Getting hard to come by now..I'll keep my eye peeled for ya tho.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.