Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 cyl carbs, Webers or Dellortos?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I’m doing an 4 cyl engine swap and have a known good set of Webers and a set of Dellortos. The Dells came on the “new” engine, which has approx 8k miles (Dells were purchased new at that time), before taken out of service for 6 conversion about 15 years ago. The Dells of course need gasket kits from sitting idle.

I know Webers, but I’ve never done anything with Dellortos.

Condition wise the Dells are probably better and service life is much lower. The Webers are made in Spain, in excellent condition, and recently gone through.

If you’ve had experience with both, which would you use, and why?

This isn’t a F.I. vrs carb debate. The engine has a carb cam, and with two good sets of carbs in hand, F.I. isn’t on the table
VaccaRabite
If both work, use the ones you are most familiar with. I don’t think there is a functional difference between them so long as you keep them jetted for the engine.

Zach
thelogo
As i understand (i have spanish webbers 44 s

WEBBER s will be a little more performance oriented with
Extreme throttle response to wot ( + 10 hp -10+mpg
Aka (screamer) or afterburner lit

Dells will be more street oriented
With smoother throttle transitions
Less on off then the Webbers are pray.gif
Superhawk996
It's a wash. I've played with both.

In my case it was for street use. I used to get about 23-25mpg on either with a 2.0l (1.7l upsized) and a carb cam. Not sure why others see mpg degradation with Weber? Maybe tuned too rich?

Carbs are simple and robust. And, they look and sound better!
rhodyguy
The refurbished Webers. Bolt them up and go.
jdamiano
I vote Webers. I think you will find parts and set up information more easily. I run them with the Pertronix distributor and coil. The curve works well with the 914 engine. It’s close to the 050 that’s not available anymore.
Ansbacher
Have experience with both. I have found Dellortos to be more stable and needing less tinkering once set up. Also, jetting is much easier on the fly due to their positions. I only wish my Dellortos had chokes on them to assist starting from cold- some do, some don't.

Ansbacher
Dave_Darling
I did not vote as I do not have direct experience. However, I have heard that Dells have more progression ports (I think?) so that their transition behavior is a lot better, while Webers seem to be for WOT or idle, and everything in between just is however it is.

Also note that Dells flow better for a given size throat. E.g., Dell 36es are equivalent to Weber 40s.

--DD
wes
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 27 2019, 10:52 AM) *

I did not vote as I do not have direct experience. However, I have heard that Dells have more progression ports (I think?) so that their transition behavior is a lot better, while Webers seem to be for WOT or idle, and everything in between just is however it is.

Also note that Dells flow better for a given size throat. E.g., Dell 36es are equivalent to Weber 40s.

--DD

Interesting note. I’m running Dell 40s I wonder how they would be equivalent to on Weber’s?

I had Empi Weber’44s (Chinese I believe) and wasn’t happy with them as seemed they needed consistent adjustments beyond my knowledge. The Dellorto at this point are care free once set.
horizontally-opposed
IIRC, and fwiw, Jake Raby strongly recommended Dells over Webers when I was thinking about a 2270. I was going to follow that advice until a six conversion became a viable option. Still wonder sometimes about how the 2270 would have been, which is still something I'd consider for a 356 or 912.
IronHillRestorations
Thanks for all the input. I’m going with the Dells on this because that’s what’s was on the (1911) engine and it was running well when pulled. If it doesn’t run well I’ll swap to the Webers.

The Webers are off a 2.0(maybe 2056) and jetted accordingly, so I should only have to dial in the Dells, having put a kit on them.

This car isn’t a 6 candidate at present.

I had a car in my shop with a 2270 and it was no doubt stronger than a stock 914-6, and a very fun car
IronHillRestorations
UPDATE
The Dells started and idled amazingly well, but had a horrible flat spot in acceleration. I could tell it was going lean, but it never back fired through the carbs. I don't have an O2 sensor on the car, but I know it was lean.

Since I'm out of extra time, and knew the Webers were good and worked, I just swapped them out and no trouble, but the Dells did start and idle better.

Anyone have experience with lack of acceleration enrichment on Dells? I put a gasket kit on them and they were nice and clean, all the passages were clean. What's a nice set of Dells worth??
914werke
Perry Im not familiar enough with the Dells to render an opinion or provide help but I do have a set of Jet doctor kits for them that I got buy accident, perhaps could be of use?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.