Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injectors: I "springed" a leak...Been a long winter.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
For two or three years now, two of my cars leak gasoline when taken out of winter hibernation and fired up. Run it long enough to realize it's leaking. Let stand overnight. Then, absolutely bone dry (couldn't resist that one).

I am told that this is not uncommon but did not find thread specifically mentioning this springtime phenomenon. Seems like "once a leak, always a leak." That has not been my experience.

Apparently exposure to gasoline causes the internal seals to swell and seal up? So far, the cars have been fine for the rest of our pitifully short Michigan driving season.

I am pretty sure it is from the injector itself, can't imagine bad hoses would seal themselves.

Is it possible NO ONE makes injectors for our cars???? 350 per new injector is steep and I wonder if shelf time is bad for the seals or whatever inside the injectors NOS. Like hard old rubber.

Extinguisher? Yes, on board, all the time, every car.

Am I driving a time bomb or have others experienced this?

Paul
mepstein
Paul - It would be good to know exactly what was leaking. Was it the injector, the hose or either of the seals that seal the injector to the engine. The 2 injector seals are about a dollar each and the hoses are pretty inexpensive, compared to a new injector. Plus, all these rubber parts are easily replaced in 10-15 minutes.

I had been talking to Dave about a engine stumble problem on his 3.2 conversion. He did a lot of diagnosis to try to fix and then discovered it was just a kink in the fuel line. Sometimes the solution is easy.
orthobiz
As best I can tell, it's the injector, not the engine seals or the hose. Besides, would the other sources "seal up" after sitting overnight? Has anyone else had injector leaks "cured" by running the engine briefly and coming back to a completely dry engine the next day?

On my 1.8 the CSV leaked this year, a different injector leaked last year.

Paul

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 27 2019, 09:33 AM) *

Paul - It would be good to know exactly what was leaking. Was it the injector, the hose or either of the seals that seal the injector to the engine. The 2 injector seals are about a dollar each and the hoses are pretty inexpensive, compared to a new injector. Plus, all these rubber parts are easily replaced in 10-15 minutes.

I had been talking to Dave about a engine stumble problem on his 3.2 conversion. He did a lot of diagnosis to try to fix and then discovered it was just a kink in the fuel line. Sometimes the solution is easy.
rjames
Engine fires aren’t worth taking a chance on. If you haven’t replaced the fuel lines and injector seals in several years it’s time to do it anyway. Send the questionable injector in to get tested/rebuilt. It’s not that expensive to do so (~$25), or place a wtb add for an injector as deals can be had.

Good luck!
dabird
I had one injector leak last fall. Started it for the first time this year yesterday and now I have two. I plan on replacing them with the FJ67 injectors
mepstein
QUOTE(rjames @ May 27 2019, 12:15 PM) *

Engine fires aren’t worth taking a chance on. If you haven’t replaced the fuel lines and injector seals in several years it’s time to do it anyway. Send the questionable injector in to get tested/rebuilt. It’s not that expensive to do so (~$25), or place a wtb add for an injector as deals can be had.

Good luck!

Mr Injector. $17.50 each + usps priority ship $7. Quick turn around. He will flow test before and after and give you the printouts of each. Doesn't charge for injectors he can't get to work correctly. I would include a note explaining the issue and see what Bill says. I've sent almost 200 injectors to him and been 100% satisfied.
They come back in a sealed package looking like new. New screen, seals and hose. If you have a crimped on hose and want to leave it, make sure to specify.
JamesM
I have been having the same issue on one of my 914s where one of the injector bodys (and sometimes the pump body) will leak a little when first pressurized in the spring but then goes away and is fine the rest of the season. Always makes me super nervous when i see it, but that is why i always bring my halon bottle with me.

As for replacements, I have not personally tried these yet but I noticed them when hunting for some injectors for a new Megasquirt project I am working on..

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/porsche-fiv...reman-55213104/

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/10399-36lbs-hoses-clamps/

Not sure what the difference is on those two parts, but they are listed as NEW replacements for 2.0 D-jet cars. they appear to have l-jet rather than d-jet connectors however I believe d-jet connectors will still fit, though just upgrading your harness connectors to l-jet style would probably be an improvement. I have a set of what appears to be these injectors that came with a rebuilt 2.0 motor i picked up. I havent fired it up yet, debating if I give them a shot or replace them with an OEM set. Ive considered sending them out along side an OEM set to get them flow benched and compared. If anyone has that data I would love to see it.
dabird
I would be really happy if mine stopped leaking. I only let the car run for about 60 seconds
isdyl
I’ve had leaky injectors on a number of d-jet Mercedes in the past and in my experience it’s normaly from the crimp on the short hose. I normally jam a small screwdriver into the crimp & lever out the old hose. The crimp will then just slide off the injector. Just replace the hose with new (about 2 inches or so) and use a small fuel hose clamp (not a jubilee clip) on both the injector & fuel rail.
mepstein
QUOTE(isdyl @ May 27 2019, 03:06 PM) *

I’ve had leaky injectors on a number of d-jet Mercedes in the past and in my experience it’s normaly from the crimp on the short hose. I normally jam a small screwdriver into the crimp & lever out the old hose. The crimp will then just slide off the injector. Just replace the hose with new (about 2 inches or so) and use a small fuel hose clamp (not a jubilee clip) on both the injector & fuel rail.

I can imagine the hose drying up a bit and letting fuel leak onto the injector. I would look like the injector has gone bad. The 3.2 & 3.6 don't use hoses to connect to the fuel rails. I did replace the hose on my 1.7 with tangerine curved hoses but mr injector includes a piece of hose for each injector.
dabird
Update on my own car experiencing this quirk. I just went out and started the car and all the injectors appear to be dry. No visible leaks.
orthobiz
Thanks for the input. Glad to see I'm not alone or crazy!

Paul
rjames
the small crimped on pre-installed hose connected to the injectors should always be replaced when replacing the rest of the fuel lines every few years or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.