Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GKN CV JOINT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Hi, after doing some reading of other people that bought GKN CV JOINTS the orientation of the cage seems to be backwards? All 4 of mine came like the photos I included (I disassembled them to have the roll pin holes drilled and have the machining done to them so I could use paper gaskets) I’m definitely not in a hurry to flip them around but is the manufacturer shipping these with them assembled wrong? I even read one post where the person said he couldn’t get them back together after he tried to flip the cage. Is there a consensus about this topic? Or it makes no difference? Was kinda lead to believe you have more range of angle movement if they are assembled with the larger bevel on the cage and the shoulder side (non smooth) star gear together? Just wanted advice before I grease them up with Swepco and install them. Thanks for any advice Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Orientation matters. If not assembled properly you wont' have the right articulation and plunge.

Google is your friend. Sorry I don't have the procedure in front of me at the moment.
shane
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 27 2019, 10:15 AM) *

Orientation matters. If not assembled properly you wont' have the right articulation and plunge.

Google is your friend. Sorry I don't have the procedure in front of me at the moment.

Thanks for your input but google is why I have this question in the first place av-943.gif else I’d just have installed them the way they came from the manufacturer and never questioned it.
Superhawk996
Then why not just put them back how they came from manufacturer? There is not a way to get more articulation from a CV joint than it was designed for.

I am an engineer that has worked in automotive manufacturing and engineering for a long time. The chance of them having been assembled wrong by the supplier is less than 0.3%.

Assembly lines usually have all sorts of automated visual inspection and error proofing as well an end of line human visual check.

Can bad parts happen. Sure - lightning can strike the same person twice. It HAS happened though statistically irrelevant. Same for mis-assembly of a CV joint by the manufacturer.

Sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk. Nearly all modern manufacturing is done to six sigma to ensure you don't get bad parts. The chance of you having gotten two of them misassembled in the same way is statistically zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68%E2%80%9395...%80%9399.7_rule
shane
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 27 2019, 11:11 AM) *

Then why not just put them back how they came from manufacturer? There is not a way to get more articulation from a CV joint than it was designed for.

I am an engineer that has worked in automotive manufacturing and engineering for a long time. The chance of them having been assembled wrong by the supplier is less than 0.3%.

Assembly lines usually have all sorts of automated visual inspection and error proofing as well an end of line human visual check.

Can bad parts happen. Sure - lightning can strike the same person twice. It HAS happened though statistically irrelevant. Same for mis-assembly of a CV joint by the manufacturer.

Sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk. Nearly all modern manufacturing is done to six sigma to ensure you don't get bad parts. The chance of you having gotten two of them misassembled in the same way is statisticalnp ly zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68%E2%80%9395...%80%9399.7_rule

Np was just going on the opinions of others, for this particular CV, my question has come up many times before without a manufacturer explanation . And it was 4 CV’s I bought all assembled the same way!!! I just always welcome the insight of you and the others in this community, as I’ve learned the hard way assuming things can not always be the best course of action. I’d rather ask a stupid question as I m not an expert at anything unless you consider me an expert at nothing av-943.gif I appreciate your feedback and happy 914teening.
isdyl
I had a similar dilemma on my VW bus CV joints - the 4 that arrived were the opposite way round to the ones I removed. They were pretty tight so not sure I could have disassembled them if I’d tried. I wasted loads of time on the web and phoning people etc and some people said it mattered which way round they were, and others said it didn’t. In the end I just fitted them and hoped for the best. Maybe I was just lucky, but they were fine. Maybe different on a 914 but I was surprised how many folk said it didn’t matter which way round they went.
shane
QUOTE(isdyl @ May 27 2019, 12:23 PM) *

I had a similar dilemma on my VW bus CV joints - the 4 that arrived were the opposite way round to the ones I removed. They were pretty tight so not sure I could have disassembled them if I’d tried. I wasted loads of time on the web and phoning people etc and some people said it mattered which way round they were, and others said it didn’t. In the end I just fitted them and hoped for the best. Maybe I was just lucky, but they were fine. Maybe different on a 914 but I was surprised how many folk said it didn’t matter which way round they went.

Sure thanks for the reply I saved the old ones I think I’ll dig for them just to see which way they were assembled. I’m sure they’ll be opposite of the way mine were and only deepen my dilemma. In the end I’ll reassemble the way the manufacturer assembled them though I guess.
rjames
914 cv rebuild video
Eric_Shea
New ones always come the opposite way the factory versions did.
shane
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 1 2019, 12:30 PM) *

Perfect thank you!!! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.