Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission case material
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pistonboy
My question is about side shifter transmissions.

What material is the transmission case made of?

Aluminum or magnesium?

I know it is non-magnetic.

Thank you.
mepstein
All the 914 trans were mag
Literati914
Is there a significant enough heat issue from having painted the magnesium cased transaxles - on a mostly street driven DD?

I'm gonna paint my fan shroud (also Magnesium on all models) and figure the tranny would look nicer too, but will skip it if it's gonna cause probs.
mepstein
It doesn’t cause issues on a street car.
pistonboy
Thanks for the information. The transmission bell housing developed a crack in it. Seals had been replaced along with 1st gear synchro ring. It shifted very nicely and I was wanting to continue using it. I understand magnesium as well as aluminum can be welded. The magnesium may be more tricky. I will see how welders feel about welding it. It is a crack. Nothing has broken off.

I have heard these are often welded.

Thank you for the information.
mepstein
QUOTE(pistonboy @ May 28 2019, 08:55 PM) *

Thanks for the information. The transmission bell housing developed a crack in it. Seals had been replaced along with 1st gear synchro ring. It shifted very nicely and I was wanting to continue using it. I understand magnesium as well as aluminum can be welded. The magnesium may be more tricky. I will see how welders feel about welding it. It is a crack. Nothing has broken off.

I have heard these are often welded.

Thank you for the information.

Yes. It can be welded.
Mark Henry
What's cracked and is it leaking?
A cracked ear likely could be done together, but if it's leaking it will have to be torn down, thoroughly washed and ground down to clean metal both sides of the crack before welding.
At this point it might be better to source a better core.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.