Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 195/50/15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Guberif
195/50/15 on Fusch Rims,
2.0 F.I. (74")
Buying tires; hoping to get feedback from anyone running these, how do you like them & what kind of driving do you do?

i.e. hockey pucking around town & countryside's with a lot of turns & some steep grades??, or mad crazy city driving (<45 mph, stops, fast accelerations, corners, burn outs)??, or freeway driving longer than 4 hours in a lot of traffic with say more than 1 lane??, or long highway drive's like 18 hours??.

(I primarily drive around town & countrysides, lots of corners, grades, lots of speed) to get to closest city's it is 3 hours away, & 6 hours away; which I would like to do as well. I'm looking for the best of both worlds.

Please if anybody has any suggestions.....
thanks much in advance.
GeorgeRud
I think they’ll look funny with the narrow sidewalls and the ride will be harsher. Also, you’ll be running higher RPMs at highway speeds.

195/65-15 would be the closest size to original. I’d only go lower profile unless it’s primarily an autocross or track car.
oakdalecurtis
I had these on my car. The ride was harsh until I switched to 165s.
Mark Henry
I agree they look like stromberg.gif They don't fill up the wheelwell.
185/70-15, 195/65-15, 205/60-15 , lower profile you want bigger rims 16 or 17".

I drive a lot of 996/997 with the low profile tires, they look cool but they ride like a truck. My 914 with the /60-15 has a nicer ride, especially on the local back country roads.
Dave_Darling
I had 195/50s on my car. I liked them, especially for autoX. The lower gearing was good for launching out of the corners. The ride could be pretty harsh, though. And it did get kind of old having to run ~4000 RPM to keep up with freeway traffic.

--DD
Mark Henry
The wife's 914 came with 205/55-15 Yokohama Sdrive tires, still a bit short for my tastes but a bit taller than 50's. No idea if they're any good, but they're new and she will run them.
Larmo63
Go with 205/60 15.

50 series don't look right. stromberg.gif

You're welcome.
falcor75
I've got 195-55-15's on my Cookie cutters. I like them but then my car isnt at all about being comfortable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDIFeIFYEg/
frankiec@outrageous.net
I've got Yokohama 205/60 15. Work's well for me
Click to view attachment
RolinkHaus
Love them
Click to view attachment
RolinkHaus
Sorry, mine our 195/55/15
Click to view attachment
Racer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 27 2019, 09:38 PM) *

I had 195/50s on my car. I liked them, especially for autoX. The lower gearing was good for launching out of the corners. The ride could be pretty harsh, though. And it did get kind of old having to run ~4000 RPM to keep up with freeway traffic.

--DD

This.. very much my same impressions when I ran 195/50-15s. Back when I tried these, I had been running 195/60-15s Yokohama track tires. They were not in stock, so I tried the 195/50s. Not so good. I'd prefer a 205/50 to the 195/50. If comfort is your goal, run away to a 60-70 series tire!
Dave_Darling
Here's a pic of the tires not helping me to keep the car pointed the correct direction. You can see that they're pretty short.

IPB Image

--DD
Guberif
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your input!

Honestly, I really would rather go with the 205/60/15's but concerned about wheel rub! I totally do not want to roll my fenders, especially cause it's just coming out of paint... I live in an extremely small town & any tires I get will have to be ordered over the internet. bottom line I'm concerned about rub with the 205's....
that being said I really like the idea of not running high rpm's all the dang time.
suggestions, thoughts, ideas.
Thanks Again!
Guberif
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ May 28 2019, 01:18 AM) *

Click to view attachment

hey RolinkHaus, what is the size of the other tire on the right in your pic?
Guberif
QUOTE(Guberif @ May 28 2019, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ May 28 2019, 01:18 AM) *

Click to view attachment

hey RolinkHaus, what is the size of the other tire on the right in your pic?

P.S. is that the BF Goodrich Comp 2? tire on Right?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Guberif @ May 28 2019, 02:12 PM) *

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your input!

Honestly, I really would rather go with the 205/60/15's but concerned about wheel rub! I totally do not want to roll my fenders, especially cause it's just coming out of paint... I live in an extremely small town & any tires I get will have to be ordered over the internet. bottom line I'm concerned about rub with the 205's....
that being said I really like the idea of not running high rpm's all the dang time.
suggestions, thoughts, ideas.
Thanks Again!

My '74 has 5 bolt fuchs and 205/60-15 tires, didn't roll the fenders, no fender clearance issues at all. I don't think I would have had issues with the 4 bolt fuchs.
You should be safe with 195/65-15, I did have these on my '74 with 4 bolt fuchs.
IronHillRestorations
Years ago I had 195/60's which I liked. Not to low-pro and not too wide. They were mounted to 8 spoke Empi copies, which limit how wide you can go
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.