Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump for Both ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
My dilemma: I have no fuel pump at all now and I have two engines..one D-jet FI, and the other 40IDF webers. I plan to run the D-jet engine a short while and eventually go to the other engine w/ webers as the keeper.

So my question is.. can I purchase a pump for FI pressures, then regulate it all the way down to carb pressures? Seems like it'd be too much pressure to hold back and might cause issues. Anyone done this? I'd like to not have to buy two fuel pumps if not necessary.
McMark
Not a good idea.
thelogo
You should be ok

If you have a fire extinguisher screwy.gif
Mark Henry
Get a PMO regulator, you have to run a return line, but you need one for FI anyways and your 914 likely still has one.

IPB Image
Mark Henry
For the PMO regulator (pressure control unit) only use it for the carbs, you will have to by-pass the PMO and use the stock FI regulator for the Djet.

Fuel pumps don't build fuel pressure (in simple terms) that's the regulators job. Hook a gauge to a FI pump with a return, but no regulator and you won't get any pressure. Carb fuel pumps deadhead at 3-4psi, deadheading is like a low tech pressure regulator.

A pressure regulator like the PMO bypasses the fuel back to the tank, no different than the stock FI pressure regulator.
Or are all our FI 914's bombs just waiting to go off and we all should remove the FI? blowup.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
not easily, best thing to do is buy a facet fuel pump for the carbs, they are cheap

QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 28 2019, 12:44 PM) *

My dilemma: I have no fuel pump at all now and I have two engines..one D-jet FI, and the other 40IDF webers. I plan to run the D-jet engine a short while and eventually go to the other engine w/ webers as the keeper.

So my question is.. can I purchase a pump for FI pressures, then regulate it all the way down to carb pressures? Seems like it'd be too much pressure to hold back and might cause issues. Anyone done this? I'd like to not have to buy two fuel pumps if not necessary.

Ansbacher
Why are people always pushing facet pumps? They are noisy and ridiculous with all that clicking and clacking. There a plenty of wonderful rotary pumps out there that deliver the 3-4 pounds of pressure needed for carbs. And they are quiet. I would have thought facet pumps would have gone the way of high-button shoes, rotary phones, and buggy whips by now.

Ansbacher
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ May 28 2019, 04:01 PM) *
Why are people always pushing facet pumps? They are noisy and ridiculous with all that clicking and clacking. There a plenty of wonderful rotary pumps out there that deliver the 3-4 pounds of pressure needed for carbs. And they are quiet. I would have thought facet pumps would have gone the way of high-button shoes, rotary phones, and buggy whips by now.

agree.gif

When you switch to carbs, get yourself one of these:
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3193.htm

Facet pumps are noisy as hell, the above rotary is completely quiet and comes with a filter and built-in pressure regulator.
shades.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 28 2019, 06:21 PM) *

agree.gif

When you switch to carbs, get yourself one of these:
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3193.htm

shades.gif

Yes, that's what I'm starting to see... that $60+/- for a carb pump when the time comes. And $60+/- for an aftermarket FI pump now. Airtek E8445 is in that range for the FI pump. ... but do you guys think the following pump will work for a D-jet 914? :

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...251%2D906%2D091

Mark Henry
Well.... not as cheap, but this is one of the best pumps on the market and it's made in the USA.
Plus you can get your choice of fittings. This pump is good to 350hp.

https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl393-fuel-pump.html

You can find Walbro pumps for a bit cheaper, but be careful about ebay/amazon fakes. When you have a good product counterfeiting is a problem.
Literati914
Thanks as always guys.
IronHillRestorations
The last guy that I'm aware of (BJ) to do this didn't have the correct regulator, blew the fuel line off on of his carbs, and burned up his freshly converted to a 6 914.

I theory, a bypass type adjustable regulator (and gauge) with a return line should work fine, but I don't want to be the guy who tries to save $125 and roast a car in the process.
McMark
Yer gonna spend a bunch on money on a bypass regulator, instead of a cheap carb pump? confused24.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 29 2019, 01:56 PM) *

Yer gonna spend a bunch on money on a bypass regulator, instead of a cheap carb pump? confused24.gif

Nah, I covered that in post. #9

I learned from this thread that all regulators are not created the same.. and how reasonable the various pumps can be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.