Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hand brake sticking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I jacked up the car, lowered the hand brake and attempted to spin the driver's side wheel. NO GO. Removed the wheel and pushed the hand brake lever on the caliper away from the caliper. TA DA Rotor turns.

repeated hand brake lifts and the lever returned properly.

So the Clymer nor the Haynes manuals say anything at all about lubrication. I did notice that I don't have the rubber boot on the caliper end of the cable, so dirt in the tube could be a thing.

To me the feel for release was the lever. Actual question is: Should I lubricate the shaft, spring, lever.....? maybe some lightweight oil or Sili-Kroil?
davep
I would be inclined to remove the cables, spray some WD40 up the rear end and work the cable back and forth to break up any corrosion inside. Work at it until the WD40 comes out relatively clear. I would then use compressed air to blow the WD40 out of the cable, lubricate well with oil, then hang to let the excess drain out. Perhaps blow it out again. Use a rubber boot. Be certain the return spring on the caliper arm can push the arm back easily.
malcolm2
I was thinking the same thing. I was able to blow compressed air thru both tubes from inside the car, Then thru the sleeve to the caliper on the drivers side.

I will buy a couple rubber seals and when I install them I will get a better look at the cable and the inside of the sleeve.

I also used some sili-kroil on the spring and the base of the lever hoping some would wick up the shaft.

Thanks for your comments.
malcolm2
Double post
Specracer
Also you should have a return spring inside the cabin at the balance bar attaching to a tab on the firewall.

I too bench lubricated the cables, freeing them up, using a bike cable lube
malcolm2
I would like to get some of the rubber bellows that 914 Rubber has, but how in the world do you get them on. Both ends of the hand brake cable have fittings swedged on and both bellows have 1 very tiny end.

This cable from FCP euro has a bellows on one end.... The caliper end has an even bigger connector, how in the world do you get a bellows on that?

fcp EURO part
malcolm2
It has been a while.... but I LUBED the hell out of the old cable sleeve. A few days later and the hand brake was sticking again.

Bought a new cable and installed it.... a few days later and it is stuck again. I am now guessing that the cable is NOT the issue. I has always been intermittent. Does not happen every time.

So I am gonna have to take the caliper off. Has this happened to others?

What can I do to the caliper, what could be going on there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.