Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What BMW calipers go into 1972 914s?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pistonboy
I have three 914s and am interested in putting the BMW brake calipers on the front of all of them. One is a 1971and I understand the calipers do not need any machine work, but later models do. The dividing line is somewhere in 1972. I have two 1972 914s and am trying to determine which type they need. I have looked under the website's FAQ forum but it concerns using the website.

Is this information somewhere on this website? I assume it is a frequent question.

My 1971 yellow 914 has VIN 4722905338.

My 1972 green 914 has VIN 4722906550.

My 1972 blue 914 has VIN 4722920354.

Thank you.
Mark Henry
Not worth it, won't stop you any faster, stock 914 brakes are about the best you can do with solid rotors.

Guys go 5 bolt porsche for vented rotors, plus more caliper and wheel choices.
mepstein
Get the entire brake system in great shape, use good pads and bed them properly.
djway
QUOTE(pistonboy @ May 28 2019, 07:04 PM) *

I have three 914s and am interested in putting the BMW brake calipers on the front of all of them. One is a 1971and I understand the calipers do not need any machine work, but later models do. The dividing line is somewhere in 1972. I have two 1972 914s and am trying to determine which type they need. I have looked under the website's FAQ forum but it concerns using the website.

Is this information somewhere on this website? I assume it is a frequent question.

Thank you.

Look at the bottom of your strut, if you see the pinch bolt for the ball joint you probably have the early brakes.
The wedge bolt style of ball joint you probably have the late brakes.
OR
Look at the strut mount for the caliper, if it is straight up and down you have the early. If you have the caliper mount that has a bend in it you have the late style of brake.
I like the BMW caliper up front as it does stop better than before. The shortfall in the solid disk is heat dissipation is not near as good as the vented rotor. That only comes into play if you are doing repeated hard braking. If that is your goal get into the vented brake system.
ConeDodger
The answer to your title question is none. No BMW calipers should go into your 914.

That would be basically changing things, just to change things. Anyone who says this is better has spent time, money, and effort and thus has a bias to say it’s better.

If you compare stock for stock both in good condition, you wouldn’t see much difference between the two systems.

If your going to try and outsmart an engineer who designed the original system, you should have a demonstrable improvement in the end.

These ‘80’s Alfa/Ferrari calipers weigh 4# less PER SIDE than the stock calipers. That’s unsprung weight. That is handling “gold.” They bolt right up. Talk to PMB Performance...

Yes, that is my car. evilgrin.gif
914werke
agree.gif
7TPorsh
What's the money hit on converting 4 to 5 lug? There are a couple ways to do this no?
mepstein
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 29 2019, 01:44 PM) *

What's the money hit on converting 4 to 5 lug? There are a couple ways to do this no?

About $2-8K depending on what parts you buy.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 29 2019, 11:50 AM) *

These ‘80’s Alfa/Ferrari calipers weigh 4# less PER SIDE than the stock calipers. That’s unsprung weight. That is handling “gold.”

Same caliper and vented rotors

IPB Image

Rear V-calipers (stock 914 with a spacer) and vented rotors.

IPB Image

mepsteins $2K to $8K reflects that there's many options to do this job, M calipers are cheaper than S calipers, so are the struts and DIY refinished cookies are way cheaper than pro refinished fuchs.

I only have at the most $1200-$1500 into mine but I started collecting 10-12 years ago over a 3-4 year period, got a steal deal on the fuchs, good luck finding the alfa calipers for $80, did a bunch of trading, SAW axles were $100 cheaper then, even got a deal on the PMB V-calipers as the guy who ordered them bailed on Eric.
And that's not counting the time I have into it.

Plus it never ends...I just acquired a Tarett 22mm hollow bar sway bar that I have to install. wink.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 29 2019, 09:50 AM) *

The answer to your title question is none. No BMW calipers should go into your 914.

That would be basically changing things, just to change things. Anyone who says this is better has spent time, money, and effort and thus has a bias to say it’s better.

If you compare stock for stock both in good condition, you wouldn’t see much difference between the two systems.

If your going to try and outsmart an engineer who designed the original system, you should have a demonstrable improvement in the end.

These ‘80’s Alfa/Ferrari calipers weigh 4# less PER SIDE than the stock calipers. That’s unsprung weight. That is handling “gold.” They bolt right up. Talk to PMB Performance...

Carries the flame. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
dp
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2019, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 29 2019, 09:50 AM) *

Carries the flame. beerchug.gif

bye1.gif
Chi-town
To be fair the BMW caliper is a larger piston and a larger pad so there is some mechanical advantage to them. Is it enough to justify the price, no.

A more aggressive pad, stainless lines, 19mm master cylinder, and good fluid would be a better return on your investment.

If you don't want to spend a couple thousand on a 5 lug conversion there are some vented Sebro rotors out there for stock 914 spindles in 4 lug that allow you to use M calipers. $600ish a pair shipped. Only one guy here has done them.
bernbomb914
I used

volvo calipers much cheaper and bolt right up two pot and used vented 911 discs have disengaged the balance unit to give better ft and rear balance. works very well
djway
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 30 2019, 06:30 PM) *

To be fair the BMW caliper is a larger piston and a larger pad so there is some mechanical advantage to them. Is it enough to justify the price, no.

A more aggressive pad, stainless lines, 19mm master cylinder, and good fluid would be a better return on your investment.

If you don't want to spend a couple thousand on a 5 lug conversion there are some vented Sebro rotors out there for stock 914 spindles in 4 lug that allow you to use M calipers. $600ish a pair shipped. Only one guy here has done them.

The BMW calipers were cheaper than going with 914. And I am biased as they stop better than any stock setup I ever had and I have owned a bunch.
Almost done converting some early struts to the later ball joint then I will get some of the vented rotors.
May use the BMW 320 caliper they had for vented.
djway
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ May 30 2019, 08:49 PM) *

I used

volvo calipers much cheaper and bolt right up two pot and used vented 911 discs have disengaged the balance unit to give better ft and rear balance. works very well

Which Volvo model caliper did you use?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 30 2019, 09:30 PM) *

Linky?
I only know of the custom 4 bolt hubs that Mike Muller designed and Brad was selling. Machining was too expensive, jacking the price, lowering profit and slowing sales, after one small run the hubs were abandoned.

My wifes car has 911T/914-6 struts and hubs, M calipers, vented rotors on front and stock /4 re-drilled rear hubs with cookies. This is about the cheapest entry level 5 bolt conversion and was comparable in completed cost to the custom 4 bolt front hubs.
Chi-town
4 lug

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/v...30b-13224a.html

5 lug

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/b...30b-13457a.html

There is a thread buried somewhere here that shows them being bolt on but I can never find it when I search?
Mark Henry
Yes I've seen those, IIRC it has been discussed here, but I've never seen a set installed on a 914.
Ghia spindles have different bearing sizes than 914, maybe it can be done, but it wouldn't be a straight bolt on.
Eric_Shea
914's don't have a "balance unit". It's a T-fitting that acts as an antilock brake device in a panic stop.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the bmw calipers bolt right on (say 1980) to the earlier 914s up until serial number 91424319032. After that the ears need to be shaved down to the casting line to fit the others. the BMW calipers provide a 911 S sized pad and nicely increased braking ability

QUOTE(pistonboy @ May 28 2019, 07:04 PM) *

Thank you.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 31 2019, 11:56 AM) *

the bmw calipers bolt right on (say 1980) to the earlier 914s up until serial number 91424319032. After that the ears need to be shaved down to the casting line to fit the others. the BMW calipers provide a 911 S sized pad and nicely increased braking ability

But do you have any data to back up the claim?
To me it's a waste of time and money if it doesn't add shorter stopping distance and/or better heat dissipation.

Back in the early 2000 it was the consensus of the members, many that had tried the mod, that it didn't make any noticeable improvement over stock brakes.
YMMV shades.gif
restore2seater
Just in case someone hasn't read this in the classics forum yet.

Brakes FAQ
bernbomb914
I don't remember but they have 3" spacing. I also have Brad and Mullers spacer on my 4 bolt spindles. we did this over 10 yrs. ago The duel pad make them very effective
rhodyguy
2-8k? Including wheels, tires, tie rods, ball joints (while you're in there) and strut cartridges? Keep an alignment and corner balance in mind. It gets expensive 'all in'.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 1 2019, 01:10 PM) *

2-8k? Including wheels, tires, tie rods, ball joints (while you're in there) and strut cartridges? Keep an alignment and corner balance in mind. It gets expensive 'all in'.

$8K seems excessive until you add up Bilstein struts, S calipers, 914-6GT calipers, 911 running gear and tires & Fuchs. Plus all the little things that add up to real money.
The Fiske wheels we are putting on the 911 builds are $5K for 4 bare rims.
rhodyguy
That's why I thought 8k might be a little short for the full meal deal. Oh, I forgot multiple shipping costs. If I pulled this stunt, my wife's new attorney would be wringing my neck.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 1 2019, 01:20 PM) *

That's why I thought 8k might be a little short for the full meal deal. Oh, I forgot multiple shipping costs.

True. The sky's the limit if you want to go there. Centerlocks will blow the budget. But just the usual "GT" setup on a nice car gets you there quickly and the 911 guys are no longer throwing away their 3" struts.

Cairo had Harvey widen and refinish deep 6's. That's going all in. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.