Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top Starter Bolt -how to get at it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Mueller
Does anyone have a little trick or tip on removing the top starter bolt? I'm trying to change out my starter and I can't get a wrench onto the top nut. Any tricks or suggestions?
Dr. Roger
Wrench????

Socket all the way. A little universal joint helps too.
echocanyons
Its on the top of the engine in the engine bay, the top side of the bolt should be a stop bolt against the starter, the nut should be accessible from the top.
jasons
Are you trying to do it from underneath or the engine compartment? You don't need to put anything on if from underneath(assuming the correct bolt is in there). Just go to the engine compartment and loosen the top-passenger side tranny-starter bolt. The starter locks the bolt head from turning.
Eric Taylor
Like said above, its in the engine compartment and their is no wrench that will really get at it from underneath the car. I would remove your air cleaner it helps a LOT, then feel the back of the engine and you'll find the bolt, it's a 17mm if I remember correctly, but it's been a while.
Eric
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jasons @ Jun 25 2005, 11:13 AM)
Just go to the engine compartment and loosen the top-passenger side tranny-starter bolt.

Removing the passenger side nut is gonna be an exercise in frustration, due mostly to the fact the starter is on the driver's side .................................... Good practice, though, and it's easier to get to ............. The Cap'n
David Mueller
Thanks for the help. The new High torque starter is going to be great !
Always Looking
Or you could cut a hole in the trunk like the PO did to my car screwy.gif

But it does make for quick starter changes beerchug.gif
bd1308
how many starters do you all go through each year? I've been through 3 this school year (aug-may)
jasons
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 25 2005, 12:28 PM)
Just go to the engine compartment and loosen the top-passenger side tranny-starter bolt.

Removing the passenger side nut is gonna be an exercise in frustration, due mostly to the fact the starter is on the driver's side .................................... Good practice, though, and it's easier to get to ............. The Cap'n

Yeah, well I was uhh... just mak'n sure you knew which one it was... wink.gif
mharrison
If you have the wrong bolt in there, put a box end wrench on the bolt across the top of the transaxle from the passenger side. This sounds a little stupid, but I swear it is the easiest way I've found to do it.

That said, does anybody have a spare starter bolt with the correct head on it?
jimtab
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 25 2005, 12:28 PM)

I think I wanna have your babies....it's not enough to teach....one must punish as well..... happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.