Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4A-GE Blacktop powered 914 build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
betz
This 914 is an ill advised project fueled purely by my desire to create the most fun car ever built. Fun is objective, but in my opinion, it means- low weight, high revs, the right amount of power and a tight communicative chassis. Too much power or no confidence in the car and you can easily tip the scale into scary. The 914 is known to be an excellent handling car, full of character, communicative... with a 1.7L lawnmower and 5800 RPMs of fury. I would love to keep this motor and build it up and make it great if it were easy or relatively inexpensive, but it's neither. My car is no concours restoration car. I bought it for it's Porsche handling and because it's California smog exempt and I can do whatever I want with it. Also, I just love 914s!

Enter the 4A-GE Blacktop. Originally the motor was a road going version of the Cosworth BDA twin cam engine, and was found in the US AE86 Corolla GTS or the famed Sprinter Trueno, and then later in the AW11 MR2. This particular revision, the "Blacktop" is the final revision of the 4A-GE found only in JDM late 90's Toyota Corolla/Levin/Sprinters. It's a 1.6L that makes 165hp and 120 ft*lbs of torque, 11:1 compression, individual throttle bodies, 5V per cylinder, revs to 8300 RPM and runs off a MAP sensor, allowing it the ability to fit glorious velocity stacks as a bolt-on upgrade.

I happened to have gotten my hands on one of these, and so the project begins...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

First things first, I'm currently giving the motor a refresh. As expected the JDM importer guys lied a little bit and it's not 60-80k probably more like 80-100k on the motor. I will be doing the timing belt, crank and cam seals, valve cover gasket, spark plugs & seals, and the oil pan gasket. I already have my adapter from KEP and next thing will be to remove the old type IV and test fitting the blacktop with this nicely rebuilt side shift 901 I happened to have acquired. Hopefully I will be starting on that in June.

Andyrew
Fun build smile.gif
Chi-town
Don't forget a timing belt tensioner, use OEM only or a manual unit if you don't mind keeping an eye on it.
betz
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 29 2019, 05:22 PM) *

Don't forget a timing belt tensioner, use OEM only or a manual unit if you don't mind keeping an eye on it.

I have a new Toyota hydraulic tensioner and new tensioner bearing
betz
Just for progress pic's sake, here's the current state of my 914. Needs a new trunk and new hood.. will probably go fiberglass to save weight. Definitely going to paint it. Needs some minor hell hole repair and some cleaning of some minor surface rust... No rust in the rockers or corrosive structurally compromising rust anywhere. It needs some love, that's for sure. Original color was black and the red paint job was.. not good.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Early 71? Or a 70?

--DD
betz
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 29 2019, 09:13 PM) *

Early 71? Or a 70?

--DD

It's a '72 I believe
Mueller
Should be fun, any idea of the motor weight. I see it has a cast iron block.

betz
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 30 2019, 01:28 PM) *

It is an iron block, but it's a tiny little thing. I believe dry weight fully dressed with both manifolds is around 280 lbs. I have already removed A/C and power steering, maybe I should try to get a scale on it. It's less than 2 feet long from back of block to the front pulley, not including the distributor/ thermostat which sits above the trans currently. I will have to see, I can relocate both of those given a decent amount of effort or I can just cut into the trunk if I have clearance issues. The front will definitely not be an issue. The engine is actually a little less tall than a subie motor with the manifold, though it is a bit longer obviously. So I should clear the engine cover with room to spare.
porschetub
Amazing little engine,really strong and powerful for a 1.6,we get the imported used ones here ,they are in demand.
That motor looks really clean inside,should be still in good condition.
Good luck.
Andyrew
QUOTE(betz @ May 30 2019, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 30 2019, 01:28 PM) *

It is an iron block, but it's a tiny little thing. I believe dry weight fully dressed with both manifolds is around 280 lbs.

Sounds right.. My 1.8T fully dressed is 284 stock and its a closed deck block.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(betz @ May 29 2019, 10:34 PM) *

It's a '72 I believe

So the VIN starts off "47229".

Has an early rear bumper.

--DD
betz
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 30 2019, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(betz @ May 29 2019, 10:34 PM) *

It's a '72 I believe

So the VIN starts off "47229".

Has an early rear bumper.

--DD

That is what the VIN starts with. Ends with.. 06957. Somehow I get the feeling you're really not a 914 idiot hehe...

(Btw I've seen you on pelican parts threads from like 10 years ago.. thanks for answering people's questions all these years!)
Chi-town
I just found a set of brand new wires for your engine in my collection from my AE86 days, pm me an address and I'll send them your way
betz
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 31 2019, 06:19 AM) *

I just found a set of brand new wires for your engine in my collection from my AE86 days, pm me an address and I'll send them your way

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it! PM'd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.