Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much difference do front stabalizers make?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pistonboy
Some 914s have a stabilizer at each front wheel. From what I have read, this was an option. This appears to be the same as an anti-sway bar, but the body is used as the middle part of the bar.

How much difference does this stabilizer feature make? Can it be felt with normal driving or can it only be felt in racing? Perhaps it makes no noticeable difference at all.

Thanks guys.
lierofox
I've never driven a 914 with a sway bar in it.
However I HAVE driven other cars with identical suspension, with the only difference between them being one had a front sway bar, and the other didn't (I owned 2 '98 Honda Civics, one a DX and the other an EX.)

Comparing between the two Civics, the difference with a sway bar was noticeable even during normal driving, the overall feel of 'stability' in a turn is much nicer, since the body stays much flatter, in pretty much all situations from a slow and sharp right turn onto a side street to a twisty zig-zagging mountain road drive.

Even now I still own the Civic with the sway bar, and comparing between that and the 914, I find myself taking corners completely different with my 914 compared to the Civic, the Civic just stays planted flat so I can turn later and sharper comfortably while my 914 just kinda body-rolls its way around the corner.

It's an eventual project for my 914 when I get the time and money and gumption to make it happen.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pistonboy @ May 29 2019, 08:34 PM) *
This appears to be the same as an anti-sway bar, but the body is used as the middle part of the bar.

Either I'm not understanding what you're saying, or what you are describing never was installed on a 914.

The factory put sway bars (or anti-sway bars, or anti-roll bars, maybe also called stabilizer bars sometimes?) on 914s. The fronts were of the through-body type, going under the fuel tank but above the steering rack compartment. These bars have arms on the ends, and drop-links that go down to the top side of the A-arms.

Some folks have put later 911 sway bars on 914s, of the under-body type. These bolt up to the underside of the car. A few aftermarket bars also mount this way. These mount the ends of the bars directly to the underside of the A-arms, with no extra parts attached to the bar.

The through-body is generally more effective and easier to modify; the under-body are cheaper and easier to manufacture.

I've never heard of a sway bar where the body itself is the middle of the bar.

--DD
porschetub
Lots ,but keep to stock size (15mm) if I remember, beer.gif ,anything else may be a bit firm,they are a rather light cars afterall.
rjames
After a couple of years of ownership I installed a front sway bar and it was a huge difference for the better. So much so that it should’ve been a stock item on all 914s.
roblav1
Ant-roll bar. Has nothing to do with "sway". Personally, I'd rather add spring rate before anti-roll rate.
Bleyseng
Anti roll bars are great on a 914. Keeps the front more level on corners. You can get stiffer shocks but it makes for a harsher ride.
Mark Henry
My car was a bone stock 1.8, no sway bar. Installing a stock sway bars (F&R) was night and day improvement.
Then I added more camber, again a major improvement in straight line tracking, downside was stiffer low speed steering.
I'm shortly going to be changing to an adjustable Tarrett 22mm hollow bar that came on my wife's 914, so we'll see how stiff it becomes.
VaccaRabite
Yeah, no such thing as a "stabilizer" on a 914. You are (I think) referring to the sway bar that goes through the body. There is a support bracket welded to the body, but it does not hold the bar (though I can see how it might look like it does if you did not know any better).

And yes, every 914 SHOULD have one - even the ones that don't. It makes a huge difference to how the car handles and really give the 914 that go-cart feeling.

Zach
Tdskip
As a follow on/related question how hard is it to add one that goes under the body?
mb911
I have a 74 up 911 setup on mine which is under body so that is pretty straight forward. Just need the 911 susspension or a drill and tap..
iankarr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 30 2019, 08:48 AM) *

My car was a bone stock 1.8, no sway bar. Installing a stock sway bars (F&R) was night and day improvement.
Then I added more camber, again a major improvement in straight line tracking, downside was stiffer low speed steering.
I'm shortly going to be changing to an adjustable Tarrett 22mm hollow bar that came on my wife's 914, so we'll see how stiff it becomes.

agree.gif 1000 percent. Night and day difference. There’s a video of installing the sway bar on the link in my signature if you’re interested in seeing how it all goes together.
Spoke
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 30 2019, 09:19 AM) *

As a follow on/related question how hard is it to add one that goes under the body?

If you're referring to the 911-style under body sway bar, it is very easy if you have the 911 suspension bits. You'll need the A-arms, sway bar, and sway bar mounting brackets. I added this to both of my 914's. The through-body type may offer adjustments but the simplicity of the underbody installation makes it very easy to install.
Bleyseng
I am running a 21mm sway bar and 21 mm Tbars upfront, Koni shocks so the car handles great.
bbrock
I agree with everyone else in saying that the sway bars make a HUGE difference. I drove two 1.7L cars without sway bars for several years before getting a 2.0L with sway bars. I think the sway bars added at least as much to the improved enjoyment of the car as the engine.

A couple thoughts on some confusion about the bars. The front bar runs through the front compartment under the fuel tank (as Zach mentioned) which could look like the bar is tied into the body structure but it isn't. It is a basic sway bar with the middle hidden inside the chassis. Also, the factory manual refers to the bar as a "stabilizer." I don't know what the difference is but it is a basic sway bar in American terms.
malcolm2
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 30 2019, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 30 2019, 08:48 AM) *

agree.gif 1000 percent. Night and day difference. There’s a video of installing the sway bar on the link in my signature if you’re interested in seeing how it all goes together.

I watched your video. I gotta upgrade. piratenanner.gif So there is not a KIT to buy? We gotta buy pieces from all over? Brad has 2 of the parts, but no pictures of what you are getting. My A arms will also need the U bracket he sells. is there a complete list somewhere?
914_teener
QUOTE(roblav1 @ May 29 2019, 09:59 PM) *

Ant-roll bar. Has nothing to do with "sway". Personally, I'd rather add spring rate before anti-roll rate.

They sway bar in a 914 the way it is configured does change the spring rate.

They are related.

rjames
Things you’ll need:
-U-tabs if your a-arms don’t have them already
-Drop links (attach to the u-tabs)
-4 plates that the bar goes through that go on the inner and outer side of each fender
-Sway bar
-4 Bushings- 2 for the fender plates and 2 for the drop link/a-arms

Preferred method is to weld both the u tabs and the plates rather than bolting them on.

Post a WTB thread and I’m sure you’ll find someone with a bar and drop links for sale.
The tabs, plates, and bushings you can buy new.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rjames @ May 30 2019, 01:01 PM) *

Things you’ll need:
-U-tabs if your a-arms don’t have them already
-Drop links (attach to the u-tabs)
-4 plates that the bar goes through that go on the inner and outer side of each fender
-Sway bar
-4 Bushings- 2 for the fender plates and 2 for the drop link/a-arms

Preferred method is to weld both the u tabs and the plates rather than bolting them on.

Post a WTB thread and I’m sure you’ll find someone with a bar and drop links for sale.
The tabs, plates, and bushings you can buy new.

There's 4 drop link bushings for a stock bar.

Depends on the deal you get on a stock bar and factor in that you likely need new bushings, etc., but this is the bar I have for a bit more coin than a stock bar.
Bottom of page they have the mount and U tabs.

https://www.tarett.com/items/911-products/9...sba_-detail.htm
K.Jeffries
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 30 2019, 09:21 AM) *

QUOTE(roblav1 @ May 29 2019, 09:59 PM) *

They sway bar in a 914 the way it is configured does change the spring rate.

They are related.

Exactly, and not just 914s' the anti roll bar acts as a secondary spring increasing weight/rate/stiffness at the tire contact patch but only in roll situations. this gives the car a higher spring rate in cornering without having to do it with springs themselves thus not compromising straight line braking or acceleration performance which would be hampered if you tired to control body roll with just an increase in spring rate with springs.

That being said 914s can benefit from both an increase in spring rate and and antiroll bar (sway bar) if you're willing to give up a softer ride
pistonboy
Yes guys, I now see there is truly a bar going from one side to the other and not trying to use the body as the bar. I looked at it at night with a flashlight and did not see everything. This car has been sitting a few years and not used. My other two 914s do not have sway bars --- but they will.

I do not know why Porsche put brackets on the a-arm on those cars without sway bars, but I am glad they did.

Thanks guys.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(pistonboy @ Jun 2 2019, 04:17 AM) *

I do not know why Porsche put brackets on the a-arm on those cars without sway bars, but I am glad they did.

Thanks guys.

Because they ran out of A-arms without brackets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.