Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 on ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
someone out there should grab this car and restore it. Being rust free and actually not obviously restored before, one just has a wreck to deal with and that is a lot easier than repairing rust

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-1...wIB&vxp=mtr
mb911
I actually agree not a terrible place to start .
gandalf_025
I’d think it would more likely be the victim
of a VIN Swap by an unscrupulous shop...
Jonathan Livesay
I agree with the "not obviously restored before", but I don't know how "rust free" it is if the rear trunk lid is any indication.
GregAmy
VINs are worth 17k now...?

EDIT: Someone should toss that into the VIN database pronto, along with a screen shot of the listing.
ctc911ctc
Who is the dealer? All Porsche power in the background!
porbmw
Ughh
Very early car...but...
Salvage title
And sure looks like some rust to me, and stripped of numerous "6 parts"
sithot
Thanks for a good laugh. lol-2.gif
Steve
Doesn't look any worse than Sir Andy's six that McMark is working on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ May 30 2019, 12:41 PM) *

Doesn't look any worse than Sir Andy's six that McMark is working on.

agree.gif
flyer86d
It has the transmission. I’ll bet they looked at the wrong spot for the engine s/n. It’s a real six for gods sake. It looks like that it has less rust than we would have found on an east coast car in 1976.

We know that there is the talent on this board to reconstruct this poor car! Someone should step up!

Charlie
sithot
I nominate George Hussey to step up.

I know what a true restoration COSTS with a good carcass and this isn't it.

This is a hole looking for $50-$100K depending on how well it's executed.
sixnotfour
side note.... its an early chassis number so the serial/type number stamped on the spine , right behind the bell housing on the trans, is correct..

they always sell high, making this one of their better deals .. aktion035.gif
jfort
except if this is a joke, you guys are all deluded
gms
Body doesn't scare me but the engine is another story
raynekat
QUOTE(jfort @ May 30 2019, 02:15 PM) *

except if this is a joke, you guys are all deluded

I agree.
This car is a TOTAL disaster.
The amount of metalwork and bodywork will be astronomical.
I could see easily $50k in just that.
The drivetrain could easily be another $35k+.
And the engine will be non numbers matching (it's blank).

Can you build the rest of the car and still get a profit???

Sometimes it's just better to walk away....
Not everything is worth saving.

Great project for those that think it's worth saving. Walk the talk.
barefoot
It hurt my eyes to just look at the first photo, it got worse after that !!
Unobtanium-inc
Back in the day looking under those same racks was some real hidden gems. But I think that's back when Rudy Klein was running it, it's now his son Ben.

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2009/05...h-and-904-pics/

mepstein
Looks like he’s trying to get rid of his junk.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 30 2019, 05:07 PM) *

Looks like he’s trying to get rid of his junk.

There has been a steady stream of shells coming out of there for a couple of years now. Mostly 356 and early 911, this is the first 914 I've seen.
porschetub
Wow that thing is twisted and bent,would say there will be damage to trans and motor ?
Maybe the original oil tank is still jammed in by that LH rear mess.
Considering what the last great near complete project "6" sold for in the classified this car is not even worth going on with.
IMO SirAndys rescue car is better than this and that's going to $$$ to fix imagine this one w00t.gif w00t.gif .
Oh forgot this listing is L.A. Dismantlers ,Porsche guys that normally don't work with this model....if I remember av-943.gif .
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 30 2019, 06:38 PM) *

Oh forgot this listing is L.A. Dismantlers ,Porsche guys that normally don't work with this model....if I remember av-943.gif .

You're thinking of these guys

http://www.ladismantler.com/

It's not them, they are fairly new to the game, PorFor has been around for decades, different outfit, but also in LA.

http://porfor.com/
sixnotfour
search the old man Rudi Klein..legend..
https://visor.ph/culture/this-car-junkyard-...cry-in-despair/
porschetub
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 31 2019, 03:01 PM) *

Wow that set me right sorry all ..thanks ,that's one hell of a setup,some of those cars are so amazing .
Regardless I think its a waste of time,however we should throw out a challenge to George to show what his shop can do,any others think so ?
rjames
That 914 is gone. It’s not a car anymore. Restoring would mean mostly just constructing a new car around the vin tags.
Unobtanium-inc
Turns out it does have a 914/6 motor, # 6404072. Here are some pics of the car in 1979 in the snowy days of New Hampshire.

dcheek
This reminds me of a car my good friend picked up a car at Port Newark from Sweden.
The dock worker opened up the container and said, "They don't have junk yards in Sweden?"
Now that's the kind of positive reinforcement you need to start a project!

Dave
burton73
QUOTE(barefoot @ May 30 2019, 04:58 PM) *

It hurt my eyes to just look at the first photo, it got worse after that !!

agree.gif
bretth
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 31 2019, 02:09 PM) *

Turns out it does have a 914/6 motor, # 6404072. Here are some pics of the car in 1979 in the snowy days of New Hampshire.

That 1979 pic shows some front damage but the rest looks good. How the hell did it get all the additional damage if it has been sitting since 1979? Someone use it for demo derby target practice?
sithot
QUOTE(bretth @ May 31 2019, 05:13 PM) *

That 1979 pic shows some front damage but the rest looks good. How the hell did it get all the additional damage if it has been sitting since 1979? Someone use it for demo derby target practice?

In 1979 it wasn't worth squat. Most clapped out 356's weren't either.

As for condition, junk yards aren't known for handling things with kid gloves. I've seen intact Corvettes picked up with a fork lift and moved.

It's one of those cars that may reappear with a perfect (donor) body and correct VIN numbers.

GregAmy
QUOTE(sithot @ May 31 2019, 05:41 PM) *

It's one of those cars that may reappear with a perfect (donor) body and correct VIN numbers.

Honestly, that car needs so many replacement items that raising the VIN plate on a lift and sliding underneath it a donor chassis, it won't be a whole lot different in the end...after all, if you replace each part one-by-one you pretty much end up in the same place. How much has to be original to be considered the same car? And before you answer that question ask yourself: how would you know? Other than the VIN plates and the engine and trans numbers, everything else can be replaced inidividually and it's "still the same car".

And before you get all indignant and stuff , it's a common argument among classic airplane restorers as well. They'll go through hell and high water (and Pacific jungles) to recover key bits and a data plate. I've often wondered how much of Glacier Girl is actually original...

And, damn near a century later, that argument ain't been settled. And it won't here.

Bottom line: if it's worth it, someone will do it.
sithot
Ship of Theseus or my "Grandfathers Hammer"? agree.gif

Why buy this when one can be bought intact, in nice condition, for less than what it's going to cost to fix this one? huh.gif

bretth
Would be fun to do if I had the time, skills, and tools.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(bretth @ May 31 2019, 02:13 PM) *

Yeah I noticed that too. It's like they moved it from New Hampshire to Los Angeles with a bulldozer.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(sithot @ May 31 2019, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(bretth @ May 31 2019, 05:13 PM) *

In 1979 it wasn't worth squat. Most clapped out 356's weren't either.

As for condition, junk yards aren't known for handling things with kid gloves. I've seen intact Corvettes picked up with a fork lift and moved.

It cost $2100 in 1979, plus $925 it to LA, that's not chump change in the Carter years.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(sithot @ May 31 2019, 02:09 PM) *

Ship of Theseus or my "Grandfathers Hammer"? agree.gif

Why buy this when one can be bought intact, in nice condition, for less than what it's going to cost to fix this one? huh.gif

A few reasons.
1. Lots of guys can come up with $15,000, not $50,000-100,000 so they have to buy something like this and work on it over time.
2. Lots of guys prefer the journey, not the destination. I bought many a Porsche from a guy who finished restoring it less than a year earlier and is ready to move on to the next project. For some guys after one season of cars and coffee they are ready to get busy again.
mb911
I would take this project on if I could buy it for 10k and use this as my 10 year project..

mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 31 2019, 08:25 PM) *

I would take this project on if I could buy it for 10k and use this as my 10 year project..

I have no doubt you could fix it but I could find you a better car.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2019, 04:50 PM) *

But could you find a matching numbers six for under $20,000? I'm assuming it's matching numbers since it is a six motor that was there in 79. For many guys, a hell box like this might be their only shot at a real six.
Every time I think of people saying it isn't worth it, too much work, etc, I think of my friend who bought a Porsche in the early 80s for $10,000 after it had been in a house fire, everyone laughed at him, he should wait for a better car they said, it won't be worth the restoration costs they said. No one is laughing now at 550-0054.
Maltese Falcon
I had some dealings with Rudi in the day, located just off the 110 in Gardena. Nice character, didn't budge on his prices but there weren't many dismantlers in L.A. then. I did spot a '50s gull wing in there once aktion035.gif
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2019, 08:50 PM) *

Thank you for a ray of wisdom. agree.gif

Unobtanium-inc
Looks like someone pulled the trigger, sold for somewhere between $15,300-17,500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-1...;orig_cvip=true

Sold is sold, armchair market quarterbacks aside.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would buy it and do it in a heartbeat if we did not have so much going on here

QUOTE(sithot @ May 30 2019, 01:51 PM) *

I nominate George Hussey to step up.

I know what a true restoration COSTS with a good carcass and this isn't it.

This is a hole looking for $50-$100K depending on how well it's executed.

injunmort
that 550 is a local legend, he is a Porsche mechanic, ran a shop and 550's are slightly rarer than 914/6. it was burned, not destroyed by time, big difference.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jun 12 2019, 05:39 AM) *

that 550 is a local legend, he is a Porsche mechanic, ran a shop and 550's are slightly rarer than 914/6. it was burned, not destroyed by time, big difference.

Yeah, but the same theory applies, 20 years from now there will be very few un-restored matching numbers 914/6's to be had, and many people will wish they had grabbed this one. People always talk about all the "other better cars" until they are all gone. Sometimes you just have to stake a claim and do the work. I've spent many hours of my life on projects others have scoffed at, only to have the same people try and buy the car when I'm done.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 12 2019, 07:23 AM) *
Sometimes you just have to stake a claim and do the work.

See link in my signature ...
smash.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 12 2019, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 12 2019, 07:23 AM) *
Sometimes you just have to stake a claim and do the work.

See link in my signature ...
smash.gif

Some get it, some don't, it's like love, if you think too much sometimes you miss out on a lot of life. Most guys would prefer a car to work on, indefinitely even, rather than going to another cars and coffee and tell 10 guys what the car is and another 10 that is isn't for sale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.