Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time-serts in brake calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Anyone repaired loose threads in late brake calipers? I got mine back from the platers... well, almost all of them, there is a caliper half missing which isn't making me happy. mad.gif The first rebuild went okay until I went to torque the bolts. The threads on these late calipers are now loose enough that even at the 7 lbs initial torque, they slip. Looks like I can get an M7 x 1.0 Time-Sert kit and a set of 20mm deep inserts for about $100. I don't see a problem with doing that but thought I'd throw it to the brain trust to make sure there isn't something I'm missing here.
mb911
Well that sucks a part went missing. I don't see any issue with your idea to fix.
sixnotfour
drill em to 8mm and 8x1.25 with this bolt.. ???
Flange Bolts :: AMSE 12-Pt Flange 12.9 :: 8mm 12-POINT
bell metric
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 30 2019, 09:42 AM) *

Well that sucks a part went missing. I don't see any issue with your idea to fix.

Looks like USPS is to blame. I found a damage tag on the box and it was clearly split open. #$%@! We'll see how hard it is to get my claim honored. Looks like I'll be shopping for a rear caliper. headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
They left them in the acid too long. I'd be looking for "all" new calipers. I'd think all threads would be suspect and, bleeders are probably toast as well. If it's 914 stuff, it can't drilled to 8x1.25 without poking through the rotor cavity.

Why didn't you send them here to be plated?

What do you need?
914Toy
I urge you not to install modified brake calipers. Your braking system is your "Big Brother protector"!
bbrock
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2019, 11:57 AM) *

They left them in the acid too long. I'd be looking for "all" new calipers. I'd think all threads would be suspect and, bleeders are probably toast as well. If it's 914 stuff, it can't drilled to 8x1.25 without poking through the rotor cavity.

What do you need?

Well, you called it. I just checked the bleeders on the one I rebuilt and they are loose. The bleeders on the other front caliper and both rears seem fine, but of course, the nose from one of the rears is what USPS lost.

I actually tried sending all my stuff to Quality Plating in SLC on your suggestion first, but to be perfectly honest, they were horrible to deal with. Wouldn't respond to calls or email so it took almost two months to finally get a quote. That quote was almost $600 for less than 60 lbs. of parts. Even then, I was going to send the calipers down but I got the same dead silence when I asked where they should be sent as they have more than one address. I finally got pissed off and went elsewhere. That worked out just great... NOT. I had a feeling in my gut that having the hardware plated was going to be the worst part of this build. sad.gif

As it stands now, it looks like I need both front late bodies or cores and one rear. I think the one complete rear I have is okay as it is an early caliper with through bolts and the bleeder threads seem nice and tight.

Ugh!!!
mepstein
I’ve had pretty dismal results with most of the plating companies on the east coast. Either no reply or quotes like I’m building a NASA satellite.

I still have a pair of early rear calipers with your name on them so let me know where and when to send them. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour

What do you need?

@Eric_Shea
wow, thats bad .....1\2 mm brakes through..that is weird..

if everything is over etched, I have a pair of 76 fronts you can have, I need to go PMB anyway
mb911
@bbrock my dad has to rear cores that Mark donated so if he doesn't want them back I can send them to you.. Sorry the plater screwed up your parts.. I have never had anything critical done there so didn't know that was even a possibility..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 30 2019, 08:10 PM) *

@bbrock my dad has to rear cores that Mark donated so if he doesn't want them back I can send them to you.. Sorry the plater screwed up your parts.. I have never had anything critical done there so didn't know that was even a possibility..

@mb911 are those the early calipers Mark mentioned? I think those would work fine. Mine car had one early and one late rear caliper. I learned the early calipers are a bit more of a PITA to get apart but I didn't see that there would be any functional difference between them. Anyone know if there is any real advantage to late reare calipers? confused24.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 30 2019, 02:06 PM) *

What do you need?

@Eric_Shea

if everything is over etched, I have a pair of 76 fronts you can have, I need to go PMB anyway

PM sent. You guys are awesome!
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 30 2019, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 30 2019, 08:10 PM) *

@mb911 are those the early calipers Mark mentioned? I think those would work fine. Mine car had one early and one late rear caliper. I learned the early calipers are a bit more of a PITA to get apart but I didn't see that there would be any functional difference between them. Anyone know if there is any real advantage to late reare calipers? confused24.gif

If Ben can send mine/his cores, that's even better since I would have to pull the other ones off my parts car that's sitting outside in the mud - it's been raining every afternoon here.
mb911
@bbrock They are off my dad's 74 2.0 .. I will call him today and find out if they are ready for pickup so I can ship them..
Eric_Shea

What do you need?

@Eric_Shea

Yeah... tried it one time. It's SO close in that fastener journal.

Brent, I wasn't sure about the Quality Plating thing, I guess I was thinking small parts etc. We plate calipers for people every week. Quality is VERY weird about plating. They've lost M9x90 Ferrari fasteners before and the reply is basically... "so". blink.gif

Have Mark send the stuff here and Jeff can bring some fronts and we'll hook you up. Jeff, let me know when you're heading in so I can grab that snorkel. The car is at the house. Thanks again.
bbrock
Thanks all of you!!! This is one of those little disasters that is turning into one of the best parts of this build because of all the generosity and support of this community. I'll start a group PM to coordinate this as I don't want to impose on any of you more than necessary.
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 31 2019, 09:59 AM) *

What do you need?

@Eric_Shea

Yeah... tried it one time. It's SO close in that fastener journal.

Brent, I wasn't sure about the Quality Plating thing, I guess I was thinking small parts etc. We plate calipers for people every week. Quality is VERY weird about plating. They've lost M9x90 Ferrari fasteners before and the reply is basically... "so". blink.gif

Have Mark send the stuff here and Jeff can bring some fronts and we'll hook you up. Jeff, let me know when you're heading in so I can grab that snorkel. The car is at the house. Thanks again.

“They've lost M9x90 Ferrari fasteners before and the reply is basically... "so". blink.gif

That’s the reply I get at most plating, powder coating, and larger shops for most any Porsche parts. I even sent a set of ‘64 -911 gauges to one of the big name gauge shops and they lost them for 6 months. 232 of those cars made, you can’t just order up replacement gauges. headbang.gif

Luckily, Brent is dealing with parts that were made by the thousands. It’s a pain but easily replaceable.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2019, 08:19 AM) *

Luckily, Brent is dealing with parts that were made by the thousands. It’s a pain but easily replaceable.

Yes! And luckily there is a fantastic community of you folks willing to help a brother in need. beerchug.gif
mb911
I am picking up the calipers my dad has on Tuesday just let me know where to ship..
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 31 2019, 09:30 AM) *

I am picking up the calipers my dad has on Tuesday just let me know where to ship..

Im going to PMB Monday,,39 miles away no shipping, LMK
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 31 2019, 12:29 PM) *

Ben has rear calipers.
sixnotfour

I have the fronts
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2019, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 31 2019, 12:29 PM) *

Ben has rear calipers.
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 31 2019, 10:42 AM) *

I have the fronts

I cc'd both of you on a PM to @Eric_Shea to make that decision. I was thinking I'd tear down and clean them before sending them to Eric but let's see what he says. I have all the rebuild kits and many refurbished parts here so still would like to do the assembly myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.