Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical nightmare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

I have been struggling. I have read through this forum and combed the internet for solutions to my problems. No not personal problems but electrical problems. It seems for every step I take in the right direction two other things go wrong.
My original turn signal and wiper switches were worn and not working well. Although they did function when I originally purchased the car. Since then I have purchased new switches for the windshield wipers and turn signals. I have also purchased all new LED lights from Spokeworks. I also purchased the new relay from spoke to work with the LED's.
Now for the weirdness.
1. Horn switch is a little different than the original. I soldered on a new female spade connecter as the old had broken off with the removal of the steering wheel and pad.
The horn does not work with the steering wheel and pad installed. However if I put a screwdriver behind the copper contact onto and make contact that way, the horn works.
Did I screw in those four long skinny long screws to far? I have attempted to pull the housing out a little more, but same result. Maybe old brown wire is broken somewhere up stream. I checked and it is connected to the back of the steering wheel housing.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Any advice would be much appreciated.

More to come regarding lighting, as I ran out of space to add additional photo's.
Thanks again,

Gary

chair.gif
Wew
Hi all, Part 2 of my dilemma.

Emergency Flashers: Only rear lights illuminate.

Parking lights. All lights work when parking light is on, which includes the side lights.
Note: it seems the right side turn signal light is a bit dimmer than the left.

Turn signal: This is crazy... Put new turn signal switch in, and only rear turn signal lights work. Weird thing is when I select left on the switch, the right rear light blinks. None of the front turn signals work including the side lights. So I pull the turn signal assembly and follow all the wires in the plastic housing. I end up switching two wires as it looks like they were reversed. Install and now the rear turn signals work the way they should. The fronts still do not work.
In the right front turn signal the ground wire spade comes off the wire. I figure maybe this was my problem, a bad or weak ground. I put a new connector on and tighten it up real nice. Plug it back in and go to turn on the turn signal. Nothing still for the fronts, but the crazy thing is that the rear turn signal lights are now reversed again
I did also connect the license plate lights so not sure if contributes to any of this.... WTF.gif

I have looked at posts and checked my connections and cleaned the ground connections behind the headlight buckets. Still the same result.

And now the other weird thing. I turn on the headlights, and everything lights up, including the headlights, the turn signals and side markers and all the rear lights.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Again much appreciated for any advice, or do I just throw in the towel and take it to a shop and pay $$$$ to get it addressed?
I prefer to do it myself as I have done all the work on the restoration over the last 4 years and am so close to getting it on the road for the summer. Thanks again 914 community.

Gary

Wew
Since I have never had a 914 before I should have asked, when the light switch is pulled for the headlights, do all the lights normally light up on the car including the blinkers and side lights? If so, then I think I am halfway there. If not, any experience you may have had with similar situations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
Cairo94507
Hi Wew - Electrical issues scare the bejesus out of me. I will take a shot at this. When you pull the headlight switch 1/2 way out, for parking light mode, the front turn signals should be illuminated, the rear tail lights, license plate lights should also be illuminated as well as of course the instrument lights, the fan/vent control if it is turned on.

Also with everything turned off, if you put the turn signal lever in the left or right turn indicator position, that side and only that side should illuminate the front and rear parking lights.

When you pull the headlight switch all the way out, now the headlights should also illuminate. If you have fog lights, and pull the switch, they should now illuminate. If stock, when you switch to hi-beam, the fogs should turn off unless someone has modified them.

The body grounds are a huge deal on these cars. Check and clean all of them. I am sure there is a thread here somewhere that identifies all of them so you can check each one. Good luck and be patient.

Cheers, Michael
Wew
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 30 2019, 02:35 PM) *

Hi Wew - Electrical issues scare the bejesus out of me. I will take a shot at this. When you pull the headlight switch 1/2 way out, for parking light mode, the front turn signals should be illuminated, the rear tail lights, license plate lights should also be illuminated as well as of course the instrument lights, the fan/vent control if it is turned on.

Also with everything turned off, if you put the turn signal lever in the left or right turn indicator position, that side and only that side should illuminate the front and rear parking lights.

When you pull the headlight switch all the way out, now the headlights should also illuminate. If you have fog lights, and pull the switch, they should now illuminate. If stock, when you switch to hi-beam, the fogs should turn off unless someone has modified them.

The body grounds are a huge deal on these cars. Check and clean all of them. I am sure there is a thread here somewhere that identifies all of them so you can check each one. Good luck and be patient.

Cheers, Michael

Thank you Michael. I have pulled up some info on body grounds and am going to check all of them. I will report back.
Wew
Hi Michael, I followed your points and did each thing you pointed out in the write up.
Here are the results.
When I pull the headlight switch halfway out, the turn signals including side lights illuminate along with the tail lights. I did not check on the interior instrument lights. I will check on those this evening after work. But all seemed to check out normal.
This is done with the key in the off position.

With the key in the off position and the headlight switch closed, I put my turn signal indicators in the left and right positions and nothing illuminated on either side front or back.

With the key in the on position and I pull the switch all the way out the way out and everything lights up, as described above and the fog lights work when I pull that switch, and as soon as I hit the high beams the fog lights go off and come back on as soon as I go back to low beam.

I am assuming the little side lights are supposed to work in unison with the big blinkers when the turn signal is engaged.

Thanks again for all feedback.

Gary
Wew
Yeehaw. Got it figured out. Turn signal wiring messed up. Turn signal indicator lights reversed, and blinker and side light wiring was incorrect. Now everything works as it should. That was a deep dive into electric. Thank you to cairo94507 and Spoke for reading through the symptoms and giving me the guidance and encouragement to help make it happen.
piratenanner.gif cheer.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Wew @ Jun 7 2019, 12:40 AM) *

Yeehaw. Got it figured out. Turn signal wiring messed up. Turn signal indicator lights reversed, and blinker and side light wiring was incorrect. Now everything works as it should. That was a deep dive into electric. Thank you to cairo94507 and Spoke for reading through the symptoms and giving me the guidance and encouragement to help make it happen.
piratenanner.gif cheer.gif

beerchug.gif

About the turnsignal indicators reversed, this is expected as the EP26 that I sell rewires the indicators such that the common connection driven by the K/C2 on EP26 is connected to ground instead of 12V as with the OEM flasher. It's an easy fix to pop out the tach and pull the L and R light fixtures out and swap the entire fixture.
IronHillRestorations
I had a customer car in years ago, and the owner PROMISED me he'd gotten everything connected back properly, but he didn't smile.gif
Cairo94507
Glad to hear it Wew. Have a beer and enjoy. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.