Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping my 914. Things?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jarod
The time in come. I need to move my 914 from Vancouver to Dallas. So, here I find this company "diesel auto express"

Thats my first time moving for so long way. driving.gif Any experience or reviews about? Thank you any way.
Chi-town
If it's in good shape spend the money for an enclosed transport.
Ask for references
FlacaProductions
try uship.com - you can get a feel for certain shippers by their responses and you can also compare apples to apples. Not sure if they handle cross-border stuff but I'm thinking they would.

I ended up using a company that I found via uship.com but did not book through that site - only because I had settled on using them but then my shipping dates changed and the 'bid' expired. I liked the way they communicated initially so when the time actually did come, I went direct.

http://fastlaneautotransportation.com worked well for me - but they ARE a broker themselves. They had great communication, preferred to have everything in writing to the point where they used text messaging almost exclusively. responsive and I was very satisfied. My shipment was a 914 from Florida to Indiana. YMMV but good luck!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 30 2019, 04:03 PM) *

try uship.com - you can get a feel for certain shippers by their responses and you can also compare apples to apples. Not sure if they handle cross-border stuff but I'm thinking they would.

I ended up using a company that I found via uship.com but did not book through that site - only because I had settled on using them but then my shipping dates changed and the 'bid' expired. I liked the way they communicated initially so when the time actually did come, I went direct.

http://fastlaneautotransportation.com worked well for me - but they ARE a broker themselves. They had great communication, preferred to have everything in writing to the point where they used text messaging almost exclusively. responsive and I was very satisfied. My shipment was a 914 from Florida to Indiana. YMMV but good luck!

Be very very careful with U-Ship, it's the wild west of shipping. Make sure the person you pic is actually a car hauler and not some redneck in a converted motorhome. Case in point, had a guy buy a 356 from me, didn't want to use my shipper, he saved $100 going with a guy on U-Ship. The guy showed up with a motor home full of furniture, he had double booked. He unloaded the furniture in my yard, loaded the car, and then re-loaded the furniture, on top of the car! It was hard to watch.

If the car is of any value, go with a known shipper like reliable or Intercity, it will cost more but when a shipper damages your car you are left holding the bag. I've fought it for months with insurance companies and never seen a dime.

bretth
You can always flat tow it yourself if it rolls good and you don't mind all the driving. I may be doing this myself soon. I hate shipping cars.
dan10101
I shipped from NJ to Oregon using a broker. When they finally got a driver he didn't want to load it due to the damage but did with a bit of a bribe. Then he shook it loose as soon as he could. It ended up on 4 different trucks before it got to me. That meant unloading and reloading several times. Plus it arrived several days late. It even was in town early but they driver didn't know how to contact me even though the broker talked to me almost daily. Just a big mess. I only bring this up so you know what could happen.

All is well now. smile.gif
jesse7flying
I've been working with Mike Koberstein at PatriotTransportUSA.com and he's been great. Try him online or call 503-914-9859.
FlacaProductions
Yes - uShip can be a gamble and I remember seeing that furniture picture here before. My experience was pretty good but you have to stay on it. It seems to me that the main question to ask is are the trucks/operators "theirs" or are they an aggregator.

If I remember correctly, on uShip, you can specify what type of truck: trailer, open or closed, etc. Again - I had a fine experience but I was nervous as well shipping a car (that I cared about) for the first time.

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
Another case in point about U-Ship. Had a 911 picked up this morning, by a shipper found on U-Ship. He normally hauls ATV's and mentioned he was going to have to take this car on and off several times before it arrived in TX. That just what I want, a guy who doesn't know Porsches, or even how to haul cars, moving my car around. Also, he was just a dude, not a business, his trailer was registered to his cousin in FL, he was from Oregon. What insurance you think is going to cover damage?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jarod @ May 30 2019, 11:21 AM) *
So, here I find this company "diesel auto express"

From yelp:

"Horrible service. Unprofessional and deceptive. Our company used them to move our vehicles to another state for work. Took 3 weeks. They were late...very late. The driver said he broke down but neglected to tell us until 3 days after the fact...which pushed our delivery even further. The driver and dispatch apparently didn't get their stories straight, because each one said our cars were in two totally different states. Then upon delivery both vehicles were damaged, both had chips in the doors and one of the cars had actually increased in mileage (on the flatbed???) and it would not even start! They completely drained the battery in it. Brand new car in excellent shape. So many things wrong with this. Save yourself the trouble and expense and use a professional service for your valuable property."

dry.gif
michael7810
I work the Barrett-Jackson auction and interface with a lot of car transporters. By far Reliable is the most professional of the bunch. If I had a nice car that needed shipping I would go with Reliable.
Morph914
After shipping my non running car a couple of years ago from Cali to FL, my impression of the car hauling industry is very seedy.
The problem is you never really get to talk to the person or company that ends up hauling your car, everything seems to be brokered out. After speaking with several companies, I decided on one who got good reviews and could speak intelligently on the phone ( trust me, not all can).
This company was in the middle as far as price.
Apparently the car got away from someone who was unloading because it showed up with rear end damage. I was able to get some money from the hauler but all in all a bad experience.

I would highly recommend either hauling yourself or paying up and going with someone like Reliable.

Good luck,
John
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Jun 4 2019, 07:49 AM) *

After shipping my non running car a couple of years ago from Cali to FL, my impression of the car hauling industry is very seedy.
The problem is you never really get to talk to the person or company that ends up hauling your car, everything seems to be brokered out. After speaking with several companies, I decided on one who got good reviews and could speak intelligently on the phone ( trust me, not all can).
This company was in the middle as far as price.
Apparently the car got away from someone who was unloading because it showed up with rear end damage. I was able to get some money from the hauler but all in all a bad experience.

I would highly recommend either hauling yourself or paying up and going with someone like Reliable.

Good luck,
John

Very true, 90% of the companies you will find online are brokers, who take your deposit and hold it for up to 6-8 weeks while they put it on Central Dispatch at a low rate, hoping someone in hungry. Then they will ask you for more money, while they are still holding your original money. Per the contract the have 6-8 weeks before they have to give you your deposit back. And then when it does get picked up you get the lowest bucks dude who answered the call. We book our own loads on Central, and I normally say no to 3-4 carriers before I pick one. They have a rating system like ebay. We take people who no bad feedback. The only time I've gotten paid for damage is when a guy wanted bad feedback removed, but if you go through a broker you have none of this recourse.
If it's a car you care about pay double and get Reliable or Intercity, it's money well spent. Here are some more horror stories. Like watching a 54 356 Coupe get folded up!

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2012/02...ng-of-porsches/
windforfun
FedEx. They're not cheap, but they don't screw around.
harlenl
If you still need suggestions on transportation and logistics please let me know if I can help. It's part of what I do every day.

Harlen@canepa.com
831-430-9940 x110
Superhawk996
Major automotive OEM's around Detroit use Reliable and Pilot for a majority of their transport needs.

Not cheap, but they do haul a lot of high dollar prototypes and know what they are doing.
Jarod
Thanks for advices. Probebly Ill trying to work with them. These guys from my city and can do enclosed shipping as they say rolleyes.gif
RRietman
QUOTE(Jarod @ May 30 2019, 11:21 AM) *

The time in come. I need to move my 914 from Vancouver to Dallas. So, here I find this company "diesel auto express"

Thats my first time moving for so long way. driving.gif Any experience or reviews about? Thank you any way.

I just drove my 74 1.8 from Bellingham to Tyler tx. It was actually a lot of fun and I'm glad I decided to not ship it. Anyway It's resting in It's new garage in east texas.
Good luck
Randy
jesse7flying
Just to follow up on my recommendation of Patriot Transport, their quote for shipping my new to me 2001 996 was less than half the quote I got from Reliable. PT picked up my car yesterday and should have it in a few days. I'll follow up again if I have any problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.