Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Looking for some Go Pro input
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I'd like to get some good Go Pro footage of the upcoming WCR drive and require some input from those in the know. I bought the Go Pro white last summer and have only used it a couple of times. So I ask, where are the optimum mounting locations. I'd like to get some engine noise so where would you mount it? It came with lots of mounts; eg suction cup and stick on hard mount tabs. Do you trust your camera hanging on the outside. What about wind noise? Anyway around that other than dubbing in music? There won't be another chance to record 914's in masse during my lifetime so I want to get it right! TIA, Kent
mepstein
Start mounting it in different places on your car, record some drives and review the results. If you mount it outside your car, attach a lanyard as a backup.
FlacaProductions
I use these all the time for professional purposes (although I prefer Sony ActionCams) and while I haven't mounted one on my 914 for personal use, I'd suggest trying it on the inside of the rear window facing forward. You should be able to see a nice combo of the road and hood along with the gauges and wheel/shifter and maybe a little bit of the passengers.

This should work well with the top on but might even be better with the top off. I much prefer window glass and a suction cup mount to anything. Paint on a flat surface as a second choice - also with a suction cup - and then the adhesive mounts are last.

If you can go on top of the roll bar with the top off - that might be better but would limit your mounting options and prevent you from putting the top on quickly. If it's inside, you just put the top on and you're done. Inside the cabin would limit wind noise and pick up a little engine sound along with cabin conversation to a point.

One thing - I almost always externally power any action cam. You might have to make sure that your unit can do that - it may just be a setting that needs to be activated. Batteries on those things are notoriously short-lived and seem to die at the worst time. a long usb cable with the appropriate connections to the cig lighter and you're good to go.

I'd shoot 1080/30fps (29.97) as it'll look a little more "cinematic" - 60fps (59.94) will look a little more "video-y" - but that's a matter of your preferences. 4k will chew card space and make unwieldy-sized files and probably make the camera overheat and shut down.

oh - and if you mount it on the outside, tether it.
trust me.
Click to view attachment
Carl La Fong
This was taken about 8 years ago with one of the first go pro cameras. It was mounted on the rear window with a suction cup. I wonder where that car is now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYiT2sqpnQc
FlacaProductions
Not surprising. That's about how I envisioned it - although that's 4x3 and today in 1080, it'll be 16x9.
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 30 2019, 09:18 PM) *

Not surprising. That's about how I envisioned it - although that's 4x3 and today in 1080, it'll be 16x9.

1080, 2080, whatever it takes. av-943.gif lol-2.gif (I guess you had to see the movie). laugh.gif
mepstein
When I sold them at the shop, we always suggested additional storage and batteries. You have to buy high speed storage, not the cheapest memory that you can find. The battery that's included last about 20 minutes. The USB cable is a good idea. Test everything before the WCR.
preach
On my cayman I mount it just on the passenger side of the rearview mirror. I still get some of the front fenders and a great view of the road.

Edit: I put it there, in part, due to the rearview impairs my right turn vision some so it is kind of hidden in that mess and not screwing my vision elsewhere.
StratPlayer
I will have my go pro there as well. Be a lot of video’s of this event. biggrin.gif
dan10101
I second the front windshield. Inside will reduce wind noise and give some engine sound.

Plus you will have a free view of the other cars 3 or 4 deep around the corners.

In my car I'll have my mirror camera with rear facing camera, plus another on the back window facing forward.

Whatever you do I too recommend trying it out before the day as things happen fast and it's hard to remember or know when it on or off. I have several drives where I thought I was turning it on and actually turning it off.

oldschool
If you want to chat about the drive put inside the front windshield, put one hanging on the outside of the passenger door racking the front.
ask me how I know. flag.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(preach @ May 30 2019, 08:08 PM) *

On my cayman I mount it just on the passenger side of the rearview mirror. I still get some of the front fenders and a great view of the road.

Edit: I put it there, in part, due to the rearview impairs my right turn vision some so it is kind of hidden in that mess and not screwing my vision elsewhere.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
campbellcj
I have always used the inside upper-center windshield area, upside-down. (You set the camera for this.) This gives a good panoramic view of the driver's field of vision and the front-end of the car.
76-914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 1 2019, 04:59 AM) *

I have always used the inside upper-center windshield area, upside-down. (You set the camera for this.) This gives a good panoramic view of the driver's field of vision and the front-end of the car.

Thx for all the good replies. I had tried it on the rear glass but the wind noise was severe. I like the idea of mounting it on the front windshield and will do so. Also, the long USB cable is a good tip. See ya'll there. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
hopefully if it flies off you get it back.... beerchug.gif
cwpeden
Wont stick to rear window defogger. Unless you can find a small enough suction cup to fit between elements.
76-914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 2 2019, 05:27 AM) *

hopefully if it flies off you get it back.... beerchug.gif

Hah! I'd forgotten about that pic. I don't think I'll
ever mount it on the outside after reading the above comments! beerchug.gif
StratPlayer
I mount mine on the outside all the time. Never had any problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.