Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
After removing the steering wheel nut, isn't the wheel suppose to just pull off?

Anyway, mine isn't coming off, and tried tapping on the back a bit, but still not moving, or am I missing something?
mepstein
Put the nut back on with a couple treads and give it a pretty hard wack from the back. It gets pretty tight on the column. Keeping the nut on loosely will keep you from catching it in the face when it releases.
iankarr
If the wheel hasn't been off in a while, try a steering wheel puller...avail at FLAPS or online. The splines seem to stick together over time and under pressure. Before you pull it, use a sharpie to mark the top of the column and a spot on the wheel, so you can put it back easily.
partwerks
Probably have to get a puller.

Got in a hurry, and did things backwards, as in, I have all the allen bolts off from the mounting bracket, when the wheel first didn't come off, and thought I needed to proceed further to get the wheel off.

Anyway, I'm wanting to swap out the ignition switch that is on it's way. The wheel is locked up, and the key won't turn, but wouldn't think that wouldn't have anything to do with pulling the wheel off, but who knows how hard my mechanic ram rodded the nut on.

w/o the wheel off, is there any way to get those plastic cover pieces off to get to that set screw? I'm guessing not cuz of that C clip?
mepstein
reinstall the 4 allen bolts. It will take 5 minutes. Tap the back of the wheel with a rubber mallet or deadblow, with the 25mm nut on the column. Done.

You can protect the wheel with a magazine or book when you hit it with the mallet. I wouldn't use a hammer just because you don't want to risk hitting the windshield.

I've removed at least 75-100 wheels on 911's and 914's and never needed a puller.
Chi-town
Loosen the nut but don't remove it.

Grab the wheel at 3:00 and 9:00 and pull one hand then the other with some decent force.
Larmo63
Maybe someone jammed an incorrect spline count hub or wheel onto your steering column?

Dylan is right, the wheel usually just "rocks" off of the column.

I've never had an issue with these steering wheels.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 31 2019, 09:42 AM) *

Maybe someone jammed an incorrect spline count hub or wheel onto your steering column?

Dylan is right, the wheel usually just "rocks" off of the column.

I've never had an issue with these steering wheels.

No, it either works or it doesn’t. You can’t get the incorrect splines on a hub, even with a big hammer. All 914 wheels have the same spline. It’s just they can be on there pretty tight. Dylan’s - right side, left side is how it usually works for me. Just use the retaining nut so you don’t eat it.
partwerks
I finally got it off with a mickey mouse wheel puller from Autozone. Hate to think what it's going to be like putting it back on.

After taking that "C" clip off, I still can't slide it off. I removed just that one allen screw on the bottom.

Would it not coming off have anything to do with the wheel being in a locked postion?
It slides back and forth about 3/8", but that is all.
partwerks
Pictures of the spline. They look ok, or is there a way to clean them up?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.