Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: License plate light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,
I bought the big rubber lit kit from 914 rubber and the rear rubber holes for the license place lights do not line up with the new light housings. Since I am having so many electrical problems, do I just drill holes in the rubber so it works or do I get different lights to so they line up? According to the wiring diagrams I have seen online the license plate lights are an important grounding point.

I am grasping here.

Thanks,

Gary
1adam12
Did you check that you purchased the correct type for your car early or late version?
Steve
This is a known issue with 914 rubber rear rubber bumper tops. The holes are in the wrong spot. I used stock lights and drilled new holes, using the lights as templates.
ejm
QUOTE(Wew @ May 31 2019, 12:02 AM) *

According to the wiring diagrams I have seen online the license plate lights are an important grounding point.

Not exactly but you do need to connect the wires to the correct terminals on the light fixture or you could melt some wiring. The power wire must go to the terminal at the base of the bulb otherwise a short to ground thru the fixture mounting screws is possible.
Wew
Thank you much for the help. I have attached a few pictures here so you can see the style of light I have. I my have some old 911 bumper lights lying around and I will check and see if those fit. It sounds like drilling holes into the rubber to mount the lights is o.k. and will not have a negative impact on the electrical system. I.E. I have enough crazy stuff going on, I want to make sure everything I touch everywhere else is being done properly so it doesn't add to the complexity of my troubleshooting.
Thanks again,
Gary

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes there have been differences, if you have the correct rectangular lights, just drill the bumper top pad, easy!

QUOTE(Wew @ May 30 2019, 09:02 PM) *

Hi all,
I bought the big rubber lit kit from 914 rubber and the rear rubber holes for the license place lights do not line up with the new light housings. Since I am having so many electrical problems, do I just drill holes in the rubber so it works or do I get different lights to so they line up? According to the wiring diagrams I have seen online the license plate lights are an important grounding point.

I am grasping here.

Thanks,

Gary

Wew
Done. Super easy. It is funny how gun shy I become doing something that seems so obvious. Maybe because sometimes things that seem obvious have kicked me in the ass and cost me so much time.
I am glad this one was straight forward.
Success!

Thank you
sixnotfour
QUOTE(ejm @ May 31 2019, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Wew @ May 31 2019, 12:02 AM) *

According to the wiring diagrams I have seen online the license plate lights are an important grounding point.

Not exactly but you do need to connect the wires to the correct terminals on the light fixture or you could melt some wiring. The power wire must go to the terminal at the base of the bulb otherwise a short to ground thru the fixture mounting screws is possible.

smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.