Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove ignition switch with out a key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
northern chris
I am parting out a 1973 2L that was in an accident 30 yrs ago and I am trying to remove the ignition switch but I have no keys. It there a clean way to remove the steering lock and related switch assembly without having the key?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
remove the steering wheel and turn signal and wiper switches, then remove the ignition cylinder clamp via the two slot head screws. you will then see a hole in the side of the steering lock cylinder, push a paper clip or small screwdriver in the hole to release the ignition key switch tension clip and withdraw the key cylinder

QUOTE(northern chris @ Jun 1 2019, 05:21 AM) *

I am parting out a 1973 2L that was in an accident 30 yrs ago and I am trying to remove the ignition switch but I have no keys. It there a clean way to remove the steering lock and related switch assembly without having the key?

northern chris
Thanks very much, now I need to find a paper clip smile.gif
partwerks
My situation was a bit different, in that the switch took a dive, and could seem to slide things off, but had to turn the key what little I could, and everything came off.
partwerks
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 1 2019, 06:36 AM) *

remove the steering wheel and turn signal and wiper switches, then remove the ignition cylinder clamp via the two slot head screws. you will then see a hole in the side of the steering lock cylinder, push a paper clip or small screwdriver in the hole to release the ignition key switch tension clip and withdraw the key cylinder

QUOTE(northern chris @ Jun 1 2019, 05:21 AM) *

How does the cylinder come out on a 1975?
Bleyseng
Same, pull all the switches out and you can see a tiny hole that you stick a thin rod into to press the flat spring down to release the cylinder assembly. Paper clip is too whimpy to press the spring.
Now how to remove the key cylinder from the housing so you can rekey it without a key?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.