Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hard to start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Fatboy007
So before I dive into all kinds a steps to fix it I was hoping to get some tips. I have a 75 1.8 FI and when I go to start it take forever for it to kick over... then it grumbles a bit with RPMs high.
Once it warms up for about 5 min...its good to go...runs great at all speeds, idles great... but if I go in for a meal...30 min or so... it can yet again be a pain to start..
Ideas?
northern chris
Just went through a similar battle, my 1973 1.7 was starting very hard, turned out to be a failed ignition switch. The ignition switch when engaging the starter would stop power from going to the coil causing all kinds of frustration. Check coil voltage while starting to rule this fault out.
MartyYeoman
Cold start valve?
Thermo-time switch?
sixnotfour
cold start injector...
Fatboy007
QUOTE(MartyYeoman @ Jun 2 2019, 03:09 PM) *

Cold start valve?
Thermo-time switch?

So the cold start valve is not just for freezing conditions?
ndfrigi
Sir Stacey,

check above suggestions including CHT, that was not replace yet.
For ignition switch, maybe u can buy a toggle ignition switch that you hook directly to your starter if it help you start easily. Plus do you pump the gas pedal for a few times before starting it?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Fatboy007 @ Jun 2 2019, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(MartyYeoman @ Jun 2 2019, 03:09 PM) *

Cold start valve?
Thermo-time switch?

So the cold start valve is not just for freezing conditions?

It spray few gas.
Fatboy007
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 2 2019, 04:08 PM) *

Sir Stacey,

check above suggestions including CHT, that was not replace yet.
For ignition switch, maybe u can buy a toggle ignition switch that you hook directly to your starter if it help you start easily. Plus do you pump the gas pedal for a few times before starting it?

Will do..no, I don't pump gas before. I just push down fully on pedal. I did the starter switch thing already. So it tries to start but acts as if it's not getting gas. I'll try the tips listed above . Thanks biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
fuel pressure, air leaks, aux air valve not opening, head temp sensor not providing enough resistance, Points Dwell off!

QUOTE(Fatboy007 @ Jun 2 2019, 12:22 PM) *

So before I dive into all kinds a steps to fix it I was hoping to get some tips. I have a 75 1.8 FI and when I go to start it take forever for it to kick over... then it grumbles a bit with RPMs high.
Once it warms up for about 5 min...its good to go...runs great at all speeds, idles great... but if I go in for a meal...30 min or so... it can yet again be a pain to start..
Ideas?

Fatboy007
piratenanner.gif got it worked out... very loose electrical connection to the CSV cool beans man, tighted up the connection and G2G... I love the simple fix. Thanks to all for the input. Love this group... sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.