Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock 914-6 Wont Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
exsurfer
I started this car about a month ago after sitting for ten years. Tried to start it yesterday and today, won't start No fuel. Pump is vibrating when checked. First try to start sounds like it started but quits. Stock original pump. The pump was disconnected to prevent theft then plugged in and started. Starter works fine.

Currently I can't see fuel in accelerator pump nozzles when throttle moved.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_images/...icons/icon7.gif
If you have experience with six cyl. cars what's your best guess?

Thanks
Cairo94507
All gummed up with junk from the tank after sitting for 10 years?
fixer34
You have a stock/factory -6 and you are just joining the World?
Welcome, lots of help available here.

Pull the inlet fuel hose from the pump and see if gas runs out. Don't need to turn on the pump, gravity should do the work.
If no, then the screen/pipe in the tank is clogged, or somewhere along the hose down the middle.
If yes, pull the hose going to the fuel filter that 'should' be in the engine compartment. Put the hose end in a bottle and remove the wires going to the coil (to prevent any sparks). Turn the key on/off several times. See if any gas in the bottle.
No-may have a bad/plugged pump.
Yes-maybe a clogged fuel filter?
toolguy
I've had six's that sat for periods and then the fuel pump didn't have enough pressure to lift the fuel up to the carb tops. ..
pull the fuel line lose from the carb, put it into a bottle and see if you get fuel there.
If you have fuel, it's time to go thru the carbs. . .
If not you could have a plugged fuel sock in the tank, a plugged filter or the pump is gummed up. .
porschetub
All the crap in the tank has most likely moved on ? or have you refreshed the whole fuel system after 10 yrs ?...I hope so,not mentioned in your thread.
Don't run the pump if you can't find flow @ the carbs ,find out why,blocked tank suction screen,blocked fuel filter to name a few as mentioned,more info needed,report back OK beer.gif
welcome.png
exsurfer
THANKS!!!! WILL DO!

Fuel line from tank to pump wide open. Removing pump now.
exsurfer
Does anyone remember viton seal size or part numbers?

Getting fifty year hardware loose is a chore.

Thanks again.

Gene
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if you are sure that you have a spark, take the air cleaner off and juice the throttle linkage and see if the accelerator pumps are squirting fuel into the cylinders or conversly make sure that when the key is on you do not have constant fuel filling the carbs from a stuck needle and seat or imploded float

QUOTE(exsurfer @ Jun 2 2019, 04:58 PM) *

I started this car about a month ago after sitting for ten years. Tried to start it yesterday and today, won't start No fuel. Pump is vibrating when checked. First try to start sounds like it started but quits. Stock original pump. The pump was disconnected to prevent theft then plugged in and started. Starter works fine.

Currently I can't see fuel in accelerator pump nozzles when throttle moved.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_images/...icons/icon7.gif
If you have experience with six cyl. cars what's your best guess?

Thanks

exsurfer
No fuel pump on PET 5!!!

What model fuel pump is used on a 914-6? I can't find one on PET 5.

Who has Parts for the pump? Seals?

Thanks
porschetub
No parts kit I know of,try soaking the pump in fuel or carb cleaner for a day or so and see if it fires up (hehe),if not transpose the power wires and try to run it backwards,I found above bought one of my 944 pumps back to life.
Unless you want to spend a large amount of money on a genuine NOS unit (if you can find one ?) just update to a modern rotary L.P. pump like the Carter or CB Performance one (same unit),I prefer to run a fuel pressure regulator but that's up to you ,I found this pump ran too higher pressure for my Zeniths however could be fine with Webers I don't know ?
exsurfer
Hardware damaged by corrosion. had to cut the lower mounting bolt. Will advise
when pump removed.

Thanks
exsurfer
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif java script:emoticon(':trophy:','smid_56')

The pressure relief valve was stuck pumping fuel back to the tank!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Cairo94507
Cool. Thanks for circling back and letting us know. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.