Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT but a cool race movie is coming soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Ford V Ferrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yplCYUkuRGU

Lots of Porsches make cameos, the 904 and 906.

This is going to be cool!
infraredcalvin
Looks much better than the dog racer movie...
Larmo63
Ummm, I'm going to the theater to see this and staying for three showings.

I'll hide under the back seats. hide.gif
SKL1
Looks promising but I sure don't see Damon as Shelby. Maybe Bale as Miles... now I know why they were waving the green flag at Indy.

Some of the "crashes" on the trailer remind me of "Driven." And that is NOT a good sign!!

Will take a lot to do better than Daniel Bruhl as Niki...
Andyrew
Really looking forward to it. I hope it does well!
VaccaRabite
I'm very much looking forward to this movie. I hope that at elast include SOME of the real history over "let just make it hollywood drama."

But either way, my butt will be in a theater seat for it.

Zach
krazykonrad
I'm now building a time machine to get me from now to whenever this comes to the theater.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jun 4 2019, 10:31 AM) *

I'm now building a time machine to get me from now to whenever this comes to the theater.

If I ever find a time machine, I'm going shopping.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 4 2019, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jun 4 2019, 10:31 AM) *

If I ever find a time machine, I'm going shopping.

Who doesn’t have that dream... hissyfit.gif
Chris H.
I'd settle for being able to go back just to NOT SELL all the cars I sold for peanuts over the years. dry.gif

Also...I'd complain about the 550 Spyder with the Buick V6 in the ad above, but that seems a little hypocritical given my circumstances biggrin.gif .

Can't wait for the movie though. Sounds like a good one.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 5 2019, 08:53 AM) *

I'd settle for being able to go back just to NOT SELL all the cars I sold for peanuts over the years. dry.gif

Also...I'd complain about the 550 Spyder with the Buick V6 in the ad above, but that seems a little hypocritical given my circumstances biggrin.gif .

Can't wait for the movie though. Sounds like a good one.

But it "goes like stink!"
maf914
Apparently this movie is based on "Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans" by A. J. Baime. I read it a few years ago. It tells the story of Fords attempt to acquire Ferrari and its decision to then beat Ferrari at Lemans. Not a bad book.

I finally got around to watching "Rush" last night. I thought it was fairly good.

Hollywood really has a hard time with auto racing. laugh.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Checking out the new trailer, a Speedster makes a cameo!
sixnotfour
I hope The Bourne Identity doesnt ruin it...type cast for sure
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 3 2019, 09:19 PM) *

Ummm, I'm going to the theater to see this and staying for three showings.

I'll hide under the back seats. hide.gif

aktion035.gif
Maltese Falcon
Christian Bale as this guy ¿ ... driver Ken Miles
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Ken Miles (550 Spyder) showing a Ferrari Monza the quick line through the Pomona road course, circa 1956
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Matt Damon as this guy ¿... Carroll Shelby
Click to view attachment
maf914
Promo photo:
Unobtanium-inc
Also Ken Miles in his 550.
Maltese Falcon
I'll definitely check this one out. The Fast-N-Furious series are always a blockbuster (not a fan) , but for reasons unknown to me... most Hollywood car movies do not make Bank confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Did not disappoint!!!!
Unobtanium-inc
More more!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 4 2019, 12:37 AM) *

Looks much better than the dog racer movie...

I read 2-3 books a week, and I’ve got to sat, I loved the dog movie!
sixnotfour
Want to see the real Ford GT40 Mark II from ‘Ford v. Ferrari’? It’s in a Utah movie theater lobby.
https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2019/11/1...e-real-ford-gt/

Steve
I saw the movie tonight. I loved the movie. Best car movie I have seen so far. Rush was also good, but I love Lemans.
JamesM
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 17 2019, 12:16 AM) *

I saw the movie tonight. I loved the movie. Best car movie I have seen so far. Rush was also good, but I love Lemans.

agree.gif

Saw it late last night. I liked Rush but this was way better. No complaints other than it ended. Will probably see it again.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 17 2019, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 17 2019, 12:16 AM) *

agree.gif

Saw it late last night. I liked Rush but this was way better. No complaints other than it ended. Will probably see it again.

I think I'm going to see it again, but find an IMAX theater next time.
BENBRO02
I enjoyed the movie and give it a 7.5 out of 10.
gms
This is such an inspirational story, finally a Goliath beats David movie!

It is exciting to watch Ford spend millions of dollars to show il Commendatore of Maranello who is boss.

When you see the Ford executives at the 1966 running of Le Mans you can’t help but cheer as the 7 liter GT40 outlasts the ugly Ferrari 330P3 with a peashooter 4 liter V12.
huh.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Year's ago I interviewed Dr. David Helmick for a story and as an aside he told me he was the team Dr for the GT40 team. Ford was spending sooooo much money that he convinced them to rent a copter to have him in the air and shadowing the cars as they raced, that way if they wrecked he could land and be on site in seconds. Never landed but he said he had the best seat in the house!
914sgofast2
Great movie. Saw it last Thursday night. Poor Ken Miles got screwed by Ford, Shelby, and the LeMans organizers.
SteveL
Great movie. beer.gif
jkb944t
I saw it last Thursday with some friends and we really enjoyed it! We are taking our wives to see it again this week! Great story.

Jeff B
oldschool
Just saw it today.. I really liked it.
dan10101
Saw this today with the Wife.
We both loved it. There were a couple funny Faux pas that made me go, "how did they miss that..." Most of the people there wouldn't have caught them, but it didn't hurt the movie.

Unobtanium-inc
There was one thing that they did that wasn't accurate. From my reading the word was that Enzo never went to the track but listened by radio from the Factory in Modena. It made for better movie magic to have him watching at Le Mans but I don't think it happened that way.
mountainroads
Saw yesterday on IMAX. The 3 of us probably comprised a third of the total viewing audience in the theater for a midweek, midday showing. Almost like a private viewing smile.gif

As mentioned, a couple of minor inaccuracies and it got slow in a couple of the human interest scenes, but didn't detract from the overall great story and really well executed movie. Lot's of shots included Porsches.

Only true petrol heads or those who boned up on their history in advance will anticipate the ending. On par with "Rush" and "Senna". "Le Mans" is still the gold standard, IMO. Two thumbs up and would definitely see again.
dr.tim
I cringed at the outside pass at Willow turn 9.. I was waiting on the grid when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcnXsfUiCDY

Then a crewman grabbed a wheel knockoff bare-handed on a pitstop. pinch.gif

rhodyguy
Given the tire marks I would venture the Audi mishap is not uncommon.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(dr.tim @ Nov 22 2019, 08:46 AM) *

I cringed at the outside pass at Willow turn 9.. I was waiting on the grid when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcnXsfUiCDY

Then a crewman grabbed a wheel knockoff bare-handed on a pitstop. pinch.gif

...went off of #9 WSIR in the days of narrow-body biturbo / 7" steelies +slicks . The L/rear slick blew while powering into the turn so my exit into the dirt was immediate left (driver side) tarmac. Wild ride indeed...lucky just several flat spins...this was prior to the updated widened turn 9.
Click to view attachment
dr.tim
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 22 2019, 10:35 AM) *
I would venture the mishap is not uncommon.

It is a known hazard.
Gint
We saw the movie today. Shar and I both enjoyed it. Probably more than Rush. The CGI wasn't a huge distraction. And I didn't have any trouble with Damon as Shelby. Worth watching for sure.
infraredcalvin
Saw it last night with the whole fam. Took my dad, he likes cars but not as much as a gearhead as I am. He recalled the story of Ford trying to purchase Ferrari back in the day, but knew nothing of the result and implications. Wife and my two girls enjoyed it too..
KSCarrera
Good film, but I wish film makers wouldn't get sucked into the 'fast and furious' gear changes, close-ups of speedometer needles heading off the scale and drivers staring at each other at 200+mph on the Mulsanne... Also, the '90 days to build it' was the timescale for the Daytona Cobra, not the GT40.

But as car films go, not bad at all. However, watch 'The 24 hour war' on Netflix for the real deal...
shelby/914
Saw it yesterday with my daughter. We both thought it was great. Here's a couple of pix from the Shelby American Collection in Boulder.

Click to view attachment

shelby/914
pix #2

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Over at the Petersen Museum today for a Sunday Cruise-in, they were celebrating the Ford, Cobra and Mustang marque. Also a panel discussion by several top notch Ford people like; Pete Brock, Peter Miles, Bruce Meyers, Aaron Shelby, Allan Grant, Charlie Agapiou, Lenny Shabes, and A. J. Baime.
They also displayed some of the Movie cars, the faux GT40s, a very cool green Porsche (906 long tail). They only used a real GT40 for the celebrity up close shots...the action cars were mostly Superformance tributes, or Hollywood studio stunt cars, with LS1 Chev v8 power. Sound tracks were dubbed in studio. The paint on the faux Porsche was perfect.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...one more
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.