Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB a Dead Koni Red For Autopsy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Tbrown4x4
Hi All.

I would like to buy an old Koni red rear shock for scientific purposes. It will be cut up and examined. Since I am a cheap SOB, I can't bring myself to pay someone $300 to rebuild an old shock, and I'd rather not pay $200+ for a new one, just for a bad seal.

Koni NA tells me to talk to their certified rebuilders, and the rebuilders tell me they are under contract from Koni not to sell parts.

My findings could benefit the community. I already have the tool to remove the wiper seal, and a proper pin spanner for the shock cap, but it refuses to budge. I need to know if it's pressed in, welded somehow, or just TIGHT before I force it and do damage. (I do have a 3 ft pipe wrench.)

So..... dented, bent, broken, free, etc. What do you have. I promise to post pictures!

Todd
live free & drive
There is a guy that does a rebuild of a hydraulic Koni on YouTube. Some of them come apart differently depending on age.
Tbrown4x4
I think I saw that. Hi looked swaged, but the red ones have look like they unscrew.
Mueller
I have one, I bought a pair of 911 struts and they had mismatched shocks with one being a Koni Red. that I don't need since I am going with Bilsteins.

I think it can fit in a medium or large USPS flat rate box.

AnthonyM
I used to work for Koni N/A in Motorsports and have had several of the older shocks apart. One cause is the breakdown of a nylon spacer that deteriorates in the oil and then stops up the bleed holes and prevents oil flow thru the bleeds and valving. Other issues could be caused from bottoming out the shock and damaging the internal components or simply a failed internal part. If you have a spanner that fits the pin id and the spread, you should be able to loosen the gland nut and take the shock apart. This process will work as long as your talking about an OE twin tube replacement shock. Mono tube shocks are assembled differently.
Tbrown4x4
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 5 2019, 07:33 AM) *

I have one, I bought a pair of 911 struts and they had mismatched shocks with one being a Koni Red. that I don't need since I am going with Bilsteins.

I think it can fit in a medium or large USPS flat rate box.

Cool. I'll PM you for details.

QUOTE(AnthonyM @ Jun 5 2019, 06:53 PM) *

I used to work for Koni N/A in Motorsports and have had several of the older shocks apart. One cause is the breakdown of a nylon spacer that deteriorates in the oil and then stops up the bleed holes and prevents oil flow thru the bleeds and valving. Other issues could be caused from bottoming out the shock and damaging the internal components or simply a failed internal part. If you have a spanner that fits the pin id and the spread, you should be able to loosen the gland nut and take the shock apart. This process will work as long as your talking about an OE twin tube replacement shock. Mono tube shocks are assembled differently.

It certainly looks like the top unscrews, but I didn't want to booger it all up forcing things. The shocks worked well until enough fluid was pumped out of the bad seal. The shocks are stamped 82K 1722 and a date code.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.