Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro and hello
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kutsyy
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce my daughter Alice and I.

Alice, who is 16 years old, talked me into getting a project car and her heart is set on 914 (and I am just trying to support her willingness to work on cars wink.gif ). She loves cars, has been maintaining her car and loving driving it ('11 Mustang V6 manual convertible). She's been captain of robotics team (HS FRC) specializing in assembly and mechanics of the robot. I've been working on my cars starting with air cooled ZAZ-968 and completely rebuilding '82 Supra but I am new to Porsche.

I've been reading a lot on this forum on where to start and what to look for, but thought to introduce yourself.

Thanks, Vadim

PS: If anyone have a pointers for something for sale (in California or surrounding states) it would be great. She wants to buy one under 5K and really wants to work on mechanics and not cosmetics.
mark04usa
welcome.png You have come to the right place for 914 info. Lots of good folks here willing to help.
tygaboy
welcome.png

I see you're in the SF Bay Area. There are a few of us here in the North Bay. I'm in Petaluma. If you and Alice would like to come up some time and talk 914, let me know.
And a good buddy of mine is involved with the robotics team at one of the high schools in Marin County. Maybe we could coordinate getting everyone together?
PM me if that's of interest.
And again, Welcome!
Chris
infraredcalvin
welcome.png

That’s great! Young enthusiasts coming out of the woodwork, and of course it’s always the smart ones. I have a friend who’s son is prompting him to do the same thing, I’m sure he’ll be introducing himself here soon as well!

As said above you’ve come to the right place, welcome!
Craigers17
welcome.png

Sounds like an awesome father/daughter project! I have no affiliation with this car, but this one is in your price range, looks like it has decent wheels, bumpers, and interior for the price. Probably a couple hours from you.

As a bonus, at least to me, the side markers have already been nixed. You'd have to inquire about any rust issues. Anyways, ...good luck with your search and project!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/mont...6901920520.html
oldschool
welcome.png ...ALL aboard! FUN car.
Dion
That’s fantastic! Welcome welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hi Vadim. You are a lucky man to have a daughter who is interested in cars and things mechanical.

914's are actually pretty simple cars to work on. The tough part is finding the correct car for the situation. Rust is the death of these cars. Almost all 914's have rust and you really need to screen out those candidates and find a chassis that is truly, mostly rust free. One that has been rust-repaired already- and done correctly is the target. Read, read, read and look at tons of the build threads here. You will see the extensive nature of rust as well as some repairs that are probably not what you would want but worked for that particular owner.

Heck, check out my build threads, Part 1 and Part 2, you will need about 2 hours, to see detailed pictures of what you may expect to find regarding rust and my car was a California car since new.

Don't rush, but once you have become an informed buyer, be ready tp pull the trigger when you find what you want. You will see a few guys here who actually buy, restore to running condition and sell. Most of these guys are quite reputable and thus have been doing this a long time and are respected here and typically sell really nice examples at various price points.

Good luck and enjoy the process. Cheers, Michael beerchug.gif
kutsyy
Thank you everyone. I am looking forward on getting the car and working with Alice on it.

I think I have basic information to be able to see a good candidate, I am mostly afraid that I will not be able to recognize bad car to buy, but I am hopping on getting some help wink.gif I already spent hours looking through photos & posts here and I am sure it would be more helpful when I'll have actual car to look at.

Vadim
kutsyy
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jun 4 2019, 11:01 PM) *

As a bonus, at least to me, the side markers have already been nixed. You'd have to inquire about any rust issues. Anyways, ...good luck with your search and project!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/mont...6901920520.html
Ye, I've seen this post and probably I need to go check it out, it is slightly more then a hour one way without traffic (with traffic it can be 3 hours). However, after seeing his Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/361169201194343/) and checking his other posts I am not sure that I'll believe anything he say (but this could be a bonus).
iankarr
welcome.png

Great story! Welcome!
krazykonrad
welcome.png

You've come to the right place!

Konrad
SirAndy
welcome.png
Another bay area member!

There are quite a few of us here, mostly in the east bay it seems.
bye1.gif
whitetwinturbo
driving-girl.gif smlove2.gif
kutsyy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2019, 09:49 AM) *

welcome.png
Another bay area member!

There are quite a few of us here, mostly in the east bay it seems.
bye1.gif

I am in peninsula/south bay. Looking forward meeting you and seeing your 914s.
Dave_Darling
Welcome! What part of the SFBA are you in? As you can see, we are all over the place. I'm in Sunnyvale myself.

--DD
kutsyy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 5 2019, 10:29 AM) *

Welcome! What part of the SFBA are you in? As you can see, we are all over the place. I'm in Sunnyvale myself.

--DD

Los Altos
SO.O.C914er
welcome.png welcome to the mid-engine madness driving.gif .....Paul
CG-914
welcome.png

Welcome to the rabbit hole of the 914 life!
burton73
Welcome to 914world

The people here are happy to help. A great group of lovers of Porsche and 914 are number one with us and some have more than one car. Some more than one model of Porsche.

I think you are the youngest member here.

All good.

Bob B

welcome.png bye1.gif bye1.gif bye1.gif
effutuo101
Welcome! Glad you found your way here!
kutsyy
No a project car yet, but found a part car '75 with an 1.8 engine. Idea is to use this as a practice while looking for a good project car. If engine ended up to be good, may rebuild this one for the future car.
Spoke
QUOTE(kutsyy @ Jun 5 2019, 10:55 AM) *

Thank you everyone. I am looking forward on getting the car and working with Alice on it.

I think I have basic information to be able to see a good candidate, I am mostly afraid that I will not be able to recognize bad car to buy, but I am hopping on getting some help wink.gif I already spent hours looking through photos & posts here and I am sure it would be more helpful when I'll have actual car to look at.

Vadim

welcome.png

Good luck finding a car. CA, AZ, TX cars are likely to be as rust-free as they come.

Also if you find a candidate car, ask someone local on this board to look at it with/for you. A knowledgeable 914 owner will be able to point out problem areas and minute details that come with 914 ownership. Beauty is skin deep and the 914 can be real ugly under the shiny paint.
914-300Hemi
Welcome to the air cooled addiction.
welcome.png
IronHillRestorations
So it begins! Awesome that your daughter is so enthusiastic about 914's, as we need another generation of fanatics to keep our cars alive into the future. Going through a parts car is a great way to get started. You'll find the right car to build, just be patient.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.