Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cover for hole under Gas Tank and Seal around Steering column?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sketchc13
I have my gas tank out and under it there is a ~100mm hole on the passenger side and a gap around the boot where the steering column goes through the body on the way to the steering rack.

Is something missing? Coming from Wisconsin, the hole and gap are very inviting to garage invading squirrels to store their nuts and more in the fall and winter and it seems like something should go there....

Are there OE parts that go there or did any one fab something up for the hole and gap?

See attached pic... I have since cleaned up the surface rust.

Cheers,
AndrewClick to view attachment
ndfrigi
no cover for both. the under pan covers it from below.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
That area stays open, however you can use the 914 Rubber welting as they came with something similar from the factory.

Click to view attachment
Literati914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 5 2019, 11:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment

..and, since we're on th subject, and I've been wondering this lately - can the fuel pump be mounted on the cross bar /rack (as some suggest), while using this stock under-cover ?

914Sixer
Guitar hole cover from an instrument store.
IronHillRestorations
Yes, you can mount it to the steering rack support, just make sure there's no contact with any moving parts.
Mikey914
$6 a set
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/1...t-bucket-wiring

Will protect those edges
GregAmy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 6 2019, 08:07 AM) *

I don't think you want to seal those holes. I don't know if that's what was intended with those holes, but any fuel leaks (or fill overflow) would cause a build up of fuel in there. Better to leave it open to drain and allow lquids and fumes to escape.
NS914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 5 2019, 01:19 PM) *

I think I know the answer to this question but here goes....are those covers still available from anyone these days.....my car did not have one when I bought it.

Grant
bbrock
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 6 2019, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 6 2019, 08:07 AM) *

I don't think you want to seal those holes. I don't know if that's what was intended with those holes, but any fuel leaks (or fill overflow) would cause a build up of fuel in there. Better to leave it open to drain and allow lquids and fumes to escape.

The large hole might help with fumes, but there is a slotted drain hole under the large hole next to where the fuel overfill tube exits so drainage is handled in those two locations. My slotted drain was plugged with undercoating which no doubt contributed to the rust repair I had to do in the fuel compartment dry.gif Make sure it's open while you're in there.
914Sixer
Bottom of pan has weep holes for drainage UNLESS they get plugged up with stuff.
sixnotfour
a screen would be great to mice out
sixnotfour
I think I know the answer to this question but here goes....are those covers still available from anyone these days.....my car did not have one when I bought it.

post a wanted in the classifieds, there are plenty around
sketchc13
Thanks Gents - no cover for the hole and a gap around the steering column boot to the bulkhead it is.

It just kinda surprises me thats the original solution cuz that steering rack cover doesn't really seal up the area from below. Definitely enough to keep the water and debris out, but not really dust and critters.

Anyway, mystery solve for me. Thanks!
bbrock
QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 11 2019, 10:47 AM) *

Thanks Gents - no cover for the hole and a gap around the steering column boot to the bulkhead it is.

It just kinda surprises me thats the original solution cuz that steering rack cover doesn't really seal up the area from below. Definitely enough to keep the water and debris out, but not really dust and critters.

Well dangit, I was hoping you'd come up with a clever solution because I agree with you this is a problem. Where I live, leaving a car outside just 30 minutes after dark is guaranteed to get rodents in the car. I've been looking at those gaping mouse portals and wondering how to deal with them myself.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:06 PM) *

Well dangit, I was hoping you'd come up with a clever solution because I agree with you this is a problem. Where I live, leaving a car outside just 30 minutes after dark is guaranteed to get rodents in the car. I've been looking at those gaping mouse portals and wondering how to deal with them myself.

You can’t seal most cars against mice. They can get through a 1/4-1/2” opening.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 12:21 PM) *

Yes, but that opening is particularly inviting. I'm a wildlife biologist and the shape and size of that area would make a darn good design for a nest box or shelter designed to attract many small mammals. I actually had a weasel living in that area of my car before I pulled my car out of hibernation. I like weasels, but less so in the car. I totally agree with the futility of making a car rodent "proof", but rodent "resistant" is doable.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:51 PM) *

Yes, but that opening is particularly inviting. I'm a wildlife biologist and the shape and size of that area would make a darn good design for a nest box or shelter designed to attract many small mammals. I actually had a weasel living in that area of my car before I pulled my car out of hibernation. I like weasels, but less so in the car. I totally agree with the futility of making a car rodent "proof", but rodent "resistant" is doable.

Is there anything to put in or under the car that keeps them away, other than a cat.
ndfrigi
I try to keep the neighbor’s cat away from my garage because it goes In through our patio to garage. Maybe I will feed that cat so it will visit my garage regularly. Problem that cat sleeps on top of my boxster convertible and leaves some stains. huhuhu
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 03:01 PM) *

Is there anything to put in or under the car that keeps them away, other than a cat.

There are a few rodent repellents that can work but they don't last very long. I was using a product called Fresh Cab in my work truck that is always parked outside with good results for awhile. The stuff only remains effective for a month or two though and isn't cheap so I gave up and now my truck smells like mouse pee again. That was really asking too much from a repellent though. For a car stored inside, it would probably provide enough deterrent to keep the occasional mouse away.

Steel wool is excellent for plugging holes because rodents won't chew it, but of course, not good for nice cars where you'd rather prohibit rust than promote it. The two problems with cats are that they like to jump up on cars and they kill 1-4 billion birds in the U.S. every year so not an environmentally friendly form of pest control if allowed to run free. They're great inside garages and barns though.

Beyond a well-sealed building to store our cars in, I think just keeping seals in good shape and rust holes plugged so the mice at least have to work to get in the car is the most practical bet. Overall, I think our 914s are an excellent design from a rodent resistance standpoint. The only real problem spot I've seen is that stinkin' hole under the fuel tank. That's just a welcome mat for mice to set up shop in a spot that is a real PITA to clean out.
Spoke
I welded up the hole for access to the fuel tank lines. Not needed if an extra 3 feet of hose is added to loop under the tank. Now no need to drain the tank to pull it out.
sketchc13
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 03:01 PM) *

There are a few rodent repellents that can work but they don't last very long. I was using a product called Fresh Cab in my work truck that is always parked outside with good results for awhile. The stuff only remains effective for a month or two though and isn't cheap so I gave up and now my truck smells like mouse pee again. That was really asking too much from a repellent though. For a car stored inside, it would probably provide enough deterrent to keep the occasional mouse away.

Steel wool is excellent for plugging holes because rodents won't chew it, but of course, not good for nice cars where you'd rather prohibit rust than promote it. The two problems with cats are that they like to jump up on cars and they kill 1-4 billion birds in the U.S. every year so not an environmentally friendly form of pest control if allowed to run free. They're great inside garages and barns though.

Beyond a well-sealed building to store our cars in, I think just keeping seals in good shape and rust holes plugged so the mice at least have to work to get in the car is the most practical bet. Overall, I think our 914s are an excellent design from a rodent resistance standpoint. The only real problem spot I've seen is that stinkin' hole under the fuel tank. That's just a welcome mat for mice to set up shop in a spot that is a real PITA to clean out.

I too was hoping a solution that didn't require an ongoing investment in a cat, critter repellent, or extra attention to sealing up the garage... which... when renting is not so appealing.

One idea I did have was to see if one of the lids, see picture, would be the right size.... but I'm not sure of the diameter of this one or the other "lids" throughout the vehicle which are mysteriously placed for some seemingly unknown reason....

(Image sourced from Auto Atlanta)
Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 12 2019, 11:28 AM) *

One idea I did have was to see if one of the lids, see picture, would be the right size.... but I'm not sure of the diameter of this one or the other "lids" throughout the vehicle which are mysteriously placed for some seemingly unknown reason....

Hmmm. idea.gif I just did a very quick and not too precise measurement, but I think you may be in the ball park. The hole looks to be in the neighborhood 97.5 mm and measuring one of the floor pan holes (not precise because plug, sealer, and undercoating are in place) it looks to be close to the same. I might still have the old floor pan in the scrap pile. If so, I'll try to get a better measurement.
sixnotfour
something like this.....
sketchc13
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 12 2019, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 12 2019, 11:28 AM) *

Hmmm. idea.gif I just did a very quick and not too precise measurement, but I think you may be in the ball park. The hole looks to be in the neighborhood 97.5 mm and measuring one of the floor pan holes (not precise because plug, sealer, and undercoating are in place) it looks to be close to the same. I might still have the old floor pan in the scrap pile. If so, I'll try to get a better measurement.

That sounds pretty promising actually. The hole that is there is 99-100 mm in diameter. So maybe.... it could be worth a shot. I'd be willing to order one up and see how it fits if it seems worth the attempt.
bbrock
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 12 2019, 01:29 PM) *

something like this.....

That would really be ideal. 1/4" SS screen would be the perfect barrier. The perfect solution would be a round plastic or rubber gasket that snaps into the hole and with an inside groove or other way to hold the screen in place. The beauty of that would be it would be easily removable if you ever wanted that access hole to reach something.That has 914Rubber written all over it @mikey914 biggrin.gif

Thinking about the cover plate some more, it looks like you'd either have to notch the hole to be able to lock the cover plate tangs in, or glue it in place. Both of those are a little more permanent for my taste.
mlindner
Just get some aluminum, cut a paper template and revet in. The picture only shows my top holes to fill but did the same on the hole you mentioned. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
Mikey914
I actually have a profile that may lend itself to this. Wanna drop me a template for the hole? If you do I can get this done next week.
Thansk,
Mark
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 14 2019, 02:11 PM) *

I actually have a profile that may lend itself to this. Wanna drop me a template for the hole? If you do I can get this done next week.
Thansk,
Mark

Cool! I'd be happy to make a template but I just did some more careful measurement with the protective welting removed. It is a 99.5mm diameter circle. Simple as that.
Mikey914
I can do this Tuesdsy PM me your adress.
Thanks.
Mark
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 15 2019, 12:55 PM) *

Thanks.
Mark

Very cool! Not sure who you are requesting the PM from, but since @sketchc13 was the OP on this topic, so the prototype should go to him for testing.
sketchc13
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 16 2019, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 15 2019, 12:55 PM) *

Thanks.
Mark

Very cool! Not sure who you are requesting the PM from, but since @sketchc13 was the OP on this topic, so the prototype should go to him for testing.

That'd be great @Mikey914! Didn't check in on this thread for a couple days. Happy to put it in and post some pictures and thoughts. I'll send you a PM if you haven't already send one along to bbrock. If so, I'm happy to wait.

Thanks for doing the measurements @bbrock!

Mikey914
I was able to use the air tube bulkhead grommet and add some 2 sided tape. The grill material I have is maybe not the best but I'm leaving it unstuck so you could use the material of your choice.

Mark
sixnotfour
here is what I did to 4 914s, today, vents $2 a piece, shipping was $8, but the local store only had louvered ones , and I wanted screen.. So here it is modified with pliers, then some body dumdum, press against body,bend tabs over,,, beerchug.gif I live out by farm land , so I get all kinds of little vistors looking for a good place to hide...
Mikey914
Made you a "grommet" with the option to use the grill section I provided or your own. Love to see how this works for you.
sketchc13
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 21 2019, 02:58 PM) *

here is what I did to 4 914s, today, vents $2 a piece, shipping was $8, but the local store only had louvered ones , and I wanted screen.. So here it is modified with pliers, then some body dumdum, press against body,bend tabs over,,, beerchug.gif I live out by farm land , so I get all kinds of little vistors looking for a good place to hide...

Good idea! Might be the way to go.

Also... did you do anything for the gap around the steering column boot and body?
sketchc13
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 22 2019, 02:13 AM) *

Made you a "grommet" with the option to use the grill section I provided or your own. Love to see how this works for you.

Great, once I get it I’ll fit it up and get some pics and thoughts up.
worn
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 10:51 AM) *

I took a year of my college at wwsc now wwsu in Bellingham and took a great field biology class. They had us simply bury cans up to the rim across campus in late afternoon. In the morning they were full of mice sitting happily under the cotton with the apple slice left to tide them over. The point I learned was the density of mice! My wife had a Honda that was so quickly replenished with seeds and bedding underthe hood that i can only conclude that the mice were running errands with her. Not sure what they must have thought of the rides. Squirrels on the other hand simply leave walnuts stacked on the exhaust. Lots of walnuts.
sketchc13
QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 22 2019, 01:38 PM) *

@Mikey914 - The OD of the grommet is the same as the diameter of the hole unfortunately so it drops right through. Doesn’t seem to be a quick solution. Have any other ideas?

@sixnotfour - I may try to source one of those screens. Looks pretty good. Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 11 2019, 04:45 PM) *

I welded up the hole for access to the fuel tank lines. Not needed if an extra 3 feet of hose is added to loop under the tank. Now no need to drain the tank to pull it out.

You will regret that.

Obviously the access hole is there to connect the fuel lines. Folks here who have thought they were clever by adding 3 feet to the fuel lines quickly discover that the extra length easily kinks and cuts off fuel flow. Then they pull out the tank...again...and go back to short lines as originally designed.

And trying to lift a tank with fuel in it is much harder than when its empty.
bbrock

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 23 2019, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 22 2019, 01:38 PM) *

@Mikey914 - The OD of the grommet aims the diameter of the hole unfortunately so it drops right through. Doesn’t seem to be a quick solution. Have any other ideas?

@sixnotfour - I may try to source one of those screens. Looks pretty good. Click to view attachment

Thanks for sharing. That grommet was certainly worth a try. I'm also liking @sixnotfour 's solution. I think an important feature is that the cover be easily removable for reasons that Jeff said.

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 22 2019, 06:17 PM) *

I took a year of my college at wwsc now wwsu in Bellingham and took a great field biology class. They had us simply bury cans up to the rim across campus in late afternoon. In the morning they were full of mice sitting happily under the cotton with the apple slice left to tide them over. The point I learned was the density of mice! My wife had a Honda that was so quickly replenished with seeds and bedding underthe hood that i can only conclude that the mice were running errands with her. Not sure what they must have thought of the rides. Squirrels on the other hand simply leave walnuts stacked on the exhaust. Lots of walnuts.

Yup. The population density of rodents is immense as is their reproductive rate that allows them to maintain that density. We get a lot of deer mice in the house because they get in the cars and then hitchhike into the house when we pull the car into the garage. The most practical solution we've found is to just have a wind-up live catch trap inside the house to gather up the mice for deportation. It's not because I'm opposed to killing mice. It's just much more efficient than snap traps because it can catch a dozen mice in one night without resetting. It's also a lot easier to just dump the live mice outside where they belong than dealing with carcasses. People often question my decision to release live mice unharmed but statistically, there is absolutely no difference. Even if I killed every mouse I caught, it would have no impact whatsoever on the local population or the number that wind up in the house. It would only add unnecessary work for me.

BTW, it isn't uncommon to have a mouse run across my feet while I'm driving my work truck down the road. They seem to run errands with me too.
Steve
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 23 2019, 08:35 AM) *

You will regret that.

Obviously the access hole is there to connect the fuel lines. Folks here who have thought they were clever by adding 3 feet to the fuel lines quickly discover that the extra length easily kinks and cuts off fuel flow. Then they pull out the tank...again...and go back to short lines as originally designed.

Harbor Freight sells a battery operated pump that is priceless to drain the tank into an external Gas can. I did need to remove my 75 gas cap assembly to use it, but night and day easier than trying to lift a tank with gas in it or remove a line and make a mess.
https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-opera...pump-63847.html
Literati914
So, if not running a splash shield, isn't this hole also an access point for water and rust (tho I can not remember this being a common rusty area, now that I think of it..) ?
Mikey914
Try putting a screen (another if the one I sent you is not suitable) to the back of the grommet. This will give it rigidity and should solve the issue.
bbrock
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jun 23 2019, 10:41 AM) *

So, if not running a splash shield, isn't this hole also an access point for water and rust (tho I can not remember this being a common rusty area, now that I think of it..) ?

I had to patch quite a few rust holes in that area even with the gravel shield always being on the car. I would worry about my steering rack bellows getting torn up running without the shield, but I agree that hole would be a good mud collector too.
sketchc13
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 24 2019, 11:07 AM) *

Try putting a screen (another if the one I sent you is not suitable) to the back of the grommet. This will give it rigidity and should solve the issue.

Just laying flat on a table by measurement the OD is just about equal to the diameter of the body hole (99.5). It would have to be 5-6 mm greater in diameter to have the grommet flaps stay on either side of the hole and get into the grommet groove.
jcd914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 23 2019, 08:35 AM) *

You will regret that.

Not that I am recommending welding the hole up, the premise that the longer hose does not work is incorrect. It a trick I've been using for many many years.
You have to put a twist into the hoses when installing and then with a little guidance as the tank is lowered in, the hoses lay in a nice kink free loop below the tank.
It took me a couple tries to get it right a few weeks ago but it had been a long time since I had done it last.

Jim
PCH
Rather than steel wool, try brass wool. It won't rust.

Also the space above the plate was known as the smuggler's box-until the Polizei figured it out.
bbrock
QUOTE(PCH @ Jun 26 2019, 02:05 PM) *

Rather than steel wool, try brass wool. It won't rust.

Also the space above the plate was known as the smuggler's box-until the Polizi figured it out.

Good idea re: brass wool. I'd recommend getting the wire fiber type textured like steel wool rather than the stuff that is wads of coiled ribbons of brass. Rodents are likely to pull the ribbon type out of the hole. You want those wire strands stabbing the little buggers in the mouth so they neither chew or tug on it. I'd still want some kind of welting or other protection around the hole opening to prevent the brass from abrading the paint over time.

Love the smugglers box story. We got our Nissan Pathfinder searched on New Year's Eve once because those were a preferred vehicle for drug smugglers in the late 90s. The speaker boxes were popular stashes. The Polizi came up empty that night though.
aharder
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 21 2019, 02:58 PM) *

found these at Ventmyhouse.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.