Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bluetooth adapter for Blaupunkt Saphire?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hi guys,

So I have a restored Blaupunkt Saphire and I want to be able to stream music from my iPhone in the event I ever want to listen to music in my Six or answer my phone while driving. I initially got a little box from the restorer that connects to the rear of the radio and then it connects to my phone via a cable to allow streaming. I would like to do away with the wire and do this via bluetooth. What do you think?

Thanks a lot,
Michael
BPic
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 5 2019, 04:21 PM) *

Hi guys,

So I have a restored Blaupunkt Saphire and I want to be able to stream music from my iPhone in the event I ever want to listen to music in my Six or answer my phone while driving. I initially got a little box from the restorer that connects to the rear of the radio and then it connects to my phone via a cable to allow streaming. I would like to do away with the wire and do this via bluetooth. What do you think?

Thanks a lot,
Michael

I'm planning on doing the same thing and I found this place and I'm sure there's others.

https://www.ricksradioconversions.com/home.html

During my research I remember one that did everything including hands free calling. I won't pull the trigger on this until next year but I definitely want everything inside the original radio. I bought a good looking non-working unit to do this.
gereed75
There are a number of people doing this. From what I know, the tuning function on your core must be working From there you can get a variety of functions, Bluetooth to phone etc. starting around $450 for basic radio
Cairo94507
Thanks guys. I have reached out to a guy, Hector, in Pomona and sent him the details of my radio and what it is I want to be able to do. At this point, I want it to be a quick turnaround as the guys are pretty much ready to install the radio. I will wait to see if he gets back to me. I also sent him a nice pic of the radio as well as including it here for fun. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
jdamiano
I just use a Bluetooth to FM thing I got from Amazon for like 20 bucks. Plugs into the cigar lighter. Works fine for listening to my iPhone and as a hands free phone. Let me know if you want more information. My 914 has AC so I do use it occasionally. Most of the time top off no thought of music.
Matty900
This is what I used in my car
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/o...etooth-receiver
It has a built-in 75 watt 4 channel amp as well and the Bluetooth will stream farther than the Alpine in my truck
Cairo94507
Hey Matty - That looks like a pretty cool device. If I am reading it correctly, to get the phone capability, you need to get the Model 4. I am going to send that link to Jim and see if he has any thoughts. Thanks for the lead. Cheers, Michael
porschetub
How is that unit different than the Frankfurt I have for my later car ?,its packed away but I seem to remember it has an old style 5 or 7pin input @ the rear,seems that maybe you will need to use that to connect another device.
Don't really know much about the old period units or for that matter the latest gear biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .
So pleased to see your car getting to where it is now,hard yards as they say... beerchug.gif .
Cairo94507
It appears the one Matty provided a link for is a simple solution. You do not have to cut anything or modify the original radio, which was my goal. I will know more after this weekend. The Model 4 costs $400 shipped which is not inexpensive, but if it gives one the ability to have bluetooth streaming, XM, and handsfree phone capability, that might be the ticket.

Thanks for the comments re the build- yes indeed, those were "hard yards" for sure. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Don't know about the Saphire, but if it has the DIN connector that the Frankfurt has and @Porschetub mentioned, there is also this unit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLUETOOTH-ADAP...ZwAAOSwQQBa8vLK

Only thing I don't like about that one is the manual switch. This guy's looks better because it automatically switches when it senses the phone input, but I don't see anything about hands free. I thought he had a post on ebay that said it did hands free but can't find it. His email is in the comments on the first link. Second link says he was selling them for $55 a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=subVSlgWVhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRyecFuRfRw

Of course if the Saphire doesn't have the DIN connector, none of this applies.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 5 2019, 06:20 PM) *

Thanks guys. I have reached out to a guy, Hector, in Pomona and sent him the details of my radio and what it is I want to be able to do. At this point, I want it to be a quick turnaround as the guys are pretty much ready to install the radio. I will wait to see if he gets back to me. I also sent him a nice pic of the radio as well as including it here for fun. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Michael isn't that a Blaupunkt Frankfurt ?
By the way , a stereo unit was also made that has additional electronic features
built in. I can provide pictures of the back if it helps.
Perfect 'period' choice for our cars and we already have two speaker housings
built in.
Cairo94507
Wow. I am actually not sure now. I would have sworn when I bought it I was told it was a Saphire. But I would defer to someone with more knowledge on these units. I take it the Saphire is the one with stereo and the Frankfurt is not? Not sure it matters for me I don't know how much music I will listen to in the car. But thanks for raising the issue. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Frankfurt was available as both mono or stereo. I've been lusting after them for quite some time now but am probably going to go with a retro style (Becker style) modern radio from Woodys.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 7 2019, 08:51 AM) *

Wow. I am actually not sure now. I would have sworn when I bought it I was told it was a Saphire. But I would defer to someone with more knowledge on these units. I take it the Saphire is the one with stereo and the Frankfurt is not? Not sure it matters for me I don't know how much music I will listen to in the car. But thanks for raising the issue. beerchug.gif

A Frankfurt can be either mono or stereo.
Motorola had a model named Sapphire and they were often found in 914s
I have the radio but opted to go with a block off.
Our cars are not listener friendly.
Attached pics of backs and sides, may help with your adaptation.
Massive praise for your restoration, otherworldly ! .....Pebble Beach ?
Jett
FYI I just sent an email to Fredrik Larson to see if the BT units are still for sale. The auto switching is a must have feature...

I currently use a switchable DIN from AA and attached a cheap BT unit — this setup is suboptimal because (1) you have to expose the switch and (2) the AA unit(s), bought two, have very flaky audio jacks which stop working when the ambient temperature is > 80 degrees.

For now to mitigate we bought two pairs of the Bluetooth Bose sunglasses which connect directly to the phone.
Cairo94507
rgalla9146 - Thanks for the pictures. I will hopefully get a chance to look at my Blaupunkt this weekend and make a decision as to what we will do. beerchug.gif
rfinegan
...this may not apply to the OP Sapphire but works real well on my Koln/Frankfort Blaupunkt so far. and its Stereo BT too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaupunkt-Frankfur...872.m2749.l2649
Olympic 914
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jun 11 2019, 09:51 AM) *

...this may not apply to the OP Sapphire but works real well on my Koln/Frankfort Blaupunkt so far. and its Stereo BT too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaupunkt-Frankfur...872.m2749.l2649

popcorn[1].gif

I have been looking at this unit also...
worn
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 7 2019, 08:11 AM) *

rgalla9146 - Thanks for the pictures. I will hopefully get a chance to look at my Blaupunkt this weekend and make a decision as to what we will do. beerchug.gif

What we will do. beer3.gif You mean whether or not to take that masterpiece to Pebble Beach? Not that i go there - don't have the attire - but it sounds like the place would benefit by the entry.
Cairo94507
Wow. I sincerely appreciate the vote of confidence. I don't know that the car will ever be invited to Pebble Beach but it would be cool, no doubt.

Thanks a bunch. beerchug.gif Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.