Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hood/trunk gas struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hobiecat
Currently my struts aren't doin the job..... My greater fear is that the unequal lifting assist is causing a 'warping 'condition in that transition which certainly isn't good for the integrity or paint. Are there any aftermarket struts that have proved to be a good replacement/ thanks...
mb911
Craig at camp sells them..
aharder
http://camp914.com/products.html

@boxstr
porschetub
If you have struts they are aftermarket anyway,the original was springs in the front and torsion spring steel rods in the rear,also used for the engine lid .
Camp 914 kits most likely or I think AA sell them also,not sure if they supply the struts on there own so you may have to buy complete kits.
Easy enough to buy from a autoparts store but hard to get ones with the right rating,too soft and you are where you are now or too hard and you start to strain mounting points and lids.

mb911
I might go this route as well.. I am ditching the springs and torsion bars anyway..
hobiecat
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 6 2019, 01:41 PM) *

Craig at camp sells them..

thanks for the info and source
hobiecat
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 6 2019, 02:24 PM) *

If you have struts they are aftermarket anyway,the original was springs in the front and torsion spring steel rods in the rear,also used for the engine lid .
Camp 914 kits most likely or I think AA sell them also,not sure if they supply the struts on there own so you may have to buy complete kits.
Easy enough to buy from a autoparts store but hard to get ones with the right rating,too soft and you are where you are now or too hard and you start to strain mounting points and lids.

thanks for the quick response and info
hobiecat
QUOTE(aharder @ Jun 6 2019, 01:50 PM) *

appreciate the quick response and the supplier
IronHillRestorations
I've installed two rear kits, never one on the front. I guess I'm on the oddball side of the coin as I think the properly maintained front and rear trunk lid arrangement works well.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jun 7 2019, 01:33 PM) *

I've installed two rear kits, never one on the front. I guess I'm on the oddball side of the coin as I think the properly maintained front and rear trunk lid arrangement works well.

I’m with you, going back to stock on my front. Tired of using my head to hold it up oncd the struts fail. Never installed my rear
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't do it. The torsion bar setup works great and is out of the way, try swinging the top into the rear trunk with struts attached! The struts also eventually warp the rear trunk lid, one also has to drill holes in the precious 914 body to install them
mark04usa
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jun 7 2019, 04:33 PM) *

agree.gif This is the most needless mod ever done to a 914...the factory stock setup is the best way to go, just correct any problems like worn trunk rollers or weak front springs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.