Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reassembly started...Malaga'76 V8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
I've started the reassembly of my project '76 V8. 2 years in the making to this point cheer.gif . I've had it together and apart and together and apart so many times before paint that it is going pretty quickly. Everything fits and I usually remember how to do it...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

...except for the doors. I wanted the glass and rubber out for paint, so I don't have the same experience reassembling as I do on the rest of the car.

It looks like a 3D puzzle confused24.gif

Any hints on assembly sequence and tips for the parts that are most difficult would be appreciated.
rhodyguy
New outer fuzzy strips pre windows. Post. New f&r window channel. You going with all new seals and whatnot? The Malaga looks great with the chrome bumpers. Was it panted local to Bham?
Cairo94507
Your car looks stunning. smilie_pokal.gif
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 7 2019, 02:48 PM) *

New outer fuzzy strips pre windows. Post. New f&r window channel. You going with all new seals and whatnot? The Malaga looks great with the chrome bumpers. Was it panted local to Bham?

Thanks. I get what you mean by F & R window channel, but not what you mean by "outer fuzzy strips pre windows" and "post". (I'm a rookie with these cars. My first).

For the doors, have new outer rubber scrapers and side targa top seals. I think I talked myself into triangle window seals. Mine are "OK", but probably not good enough. I have replaced some rubber on the rest of the car, but much of it was just fine. You stock 76 lovers will shoot me, but I started with a rust free (I mean COMPLETELY rust free), no hit, low mile, SoCal car in original paint. It must have been garaged its whole life. Original owner. He had torn it down several years ago for a repaint and then did nothing other than loose the engine sad.gif . I bought it in baskets. Just what I wanted for my project, however.

I did the prep for paint and a buddy here in Bellingham who is much better than me with a paint gun sprayed it.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 7 2019, 03:07 PM) *

Your car looks stunning. smilie_pokal.gif

Thank you!

My vision was a relatively stock looking early 914 but with a little more go.

The engine is just a 305, but it's a Firebird/Camaro LB9 which made about 220 HP stock. The TPI wouldn't fit, so a 4 BBL now. It does have a Thumper cam, so maybe a shade more than 220 HP. Plenty for me!

Mostly Renegade/KEP parts for the conversion.
rhodyguy
2 complete door packages reasonably priced at 914rubber. The outer fuzzy strips are below the side window squeegees. You can't access the screws with the windows installed.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 8 2019, 08:07 AM) *

2 complete door packages reasonably priced at 914rubber. The outer fuzzy strips are below the side window squeegees. You can't access the screws with the windows installed.

Thanks. Sounds like the best way to go.
1970-1914
Looking great!

Pierre
barefoot
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 8 2019, 11:07 AM) *

Those 3 tiny screws where the ONLY fasteners on the whole car i could not break loose, so I did not install new outer door fuzzies. Good luck !
DickSteinkamp
I found this old post from Mikey...

Triangle Window Seal

Thanks for doing this Mikey. It should be in the Tech Articles. Well done!
horizontally-opposed
Wow, does your car look good[u]. I am partial to rich reds, and this one is a stunner. wub.gif

Another good link that I found helpful for the side windows—so helpful it's bookmarked.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2000174

The triangle windows and A pillars are one of the most hasslesome things on the whole car to get right...and mine still aren't right. Part of the problem is the new rubber from Porsche Classic is too hard. Been thinking about changing to Mikey's to see if that helps. In any event, be patient and take your time.
DickSteinkamp
Thanks, HO!
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif wub.gif popcorn[1].gif .............which red is that beauty?
76-914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 9 2019, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 8 2019, 11:07 AM) *

Those 3 tiny screws where the ONLY fasteners on the whole car i could not break loose, so I did not install new outer door fuzzies. Good luck !

FWIW, I ran into that on my '73. IIRC, after I removed the window I was able to drill out those screws with a #40 6" drill bit. Sometimes called an aviation bit. beerchug.gif Highjack over. BTW, nice car. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.