Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT oil breather set up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Retroracer
So my GT tribute is on the road, but in my rush to get behind the wheel (and to get the project off axle stands!), one or two items were "delayed until later". One of the these was to figure out a GT style oil breather/catch tank solution.

Looking through the excellent PBASE photo stash of all things 914-6 GT (thx Mr Serrano!), the oil breather seems to be one of those areas in which the various factory cars differed a little from each other. An old 911 washer bottle seemed to be the preferred receptacle (but not always); The Sonauto cars seemed to place it on the trunk bulkhead, while the Monte and Nurburgring cars favored the LHS rear trunk placement:

Click to view attachment

After looking at the options, I decided to go for a mounting similar to the Nurburgring cars, which meant two key items would be needed:

- an early 911 washer bottle
- a bracket made up to imitate the factory mount

So I scored a copy of an early 911 washer bottle via eBay from a vendor in Seattle. I cannot condone the pricing on these items, but where else are you going to get one? Original ones look like hell and still go for over $100. There is a Mercedes VDO one which has similar dimensions but has subtle differences to the Porsche version. And it's still $90. Anyway, I grumbled a bit and then ordered one.

So having obtained the receptacle, now a bracket would be needed:

Click to view attachment

Looking closely at the pictures and scaling to the washer bottle, I figured out some 1" strip could be bent up to suit. The factory ones looked to be of steel (?), and spot welded at the end to a vertical to attach it to the frame. I decided - mostly as I don't have access to a spot welder - to make up one in aluminum and epoxy it together (I don't see this structure having to withstand heavy lateral loading).

I happened to have some aluminum bar in my stash, so got right to forming it. I used a 1" diameter former to do the corner bends, to roughly match the contours of the washer bottle, and the material was soft enough to be able to hand formed (no hammers needed):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The tab at the end was then drilled on the outside so that when clamped and epoxied, the goop would partially fill the holes, so after painting it would resemble the factory spot weld:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
The vertical was then made from the same material, drilled out as well (this would be on the other side, so would mirror the spot weld effect on the front). Much offering up and checking of angles was needed, as the vertical is - well, not quite vertical - and it angles away to match the frame contours.

Once happy with the fit, this was clamped and epoxied to the lozenge-shaped bracket:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A second, mostly hidden bracket was made up to give some support to the front. This bracket needed a 'jog' in it to line up vertically:

Click to view attachment

The main bracket was then attached to the frame at the vertical using self-tapping, stainless steel countersunk crews (note that that the frame is double skinned here, so the threads do not protrude into the wheel arches). Then the second bracket was epoxied and clamped in place to make sure everything sat together ok:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Once cured, then its all ready for paint prep:

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
Then just a case of prep:

Click to view attachment

semi-gloss black painting and final install:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then just a case of connecting a 5/8" PVC clear hose through to the engine bay, sizing the pipe and adapting that to the breather pipe on the side of the 914-6 oil filler neck (which needed an intermediate 10AN pipe step down, from the 1" dia outlet):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

...and job done.

Next project: mount the Cibie iode 45's additional driving lights to the outside front. I see more brackets in my future....

- Tony
crsedge
Well done!!
rgalla9146
Excellent work.
mb911
Do you have a link for the eBay part?
Retroracer
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 8 2019, 04:33 AM) *

Do you have a link for the eBay part?

this won't age well but:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-New-SWB-91...VkAAOSwUu5b9xrh

- Tony
tygaboy
And with countersunk fasteners... Very tidy all around. Nicely done! first.gif
mb911
Well reluctant to but did it anyway ordered one today.. Guess I will do the same thing it only seems right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.