Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch plug in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
If for some reason, the red wire that goes to the ignition switch was not plugged in, would that be a reason for it to get hot, and start smoking the wires, and causing the switch to not turn?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Looks like the female connector has a broken or bent locking tab causing it to come loose from the plug,I can't tell exactly but the broken plug may also be the reason the connector has come out.
The melting of the switch will be likely be caused by burnt out contacts inside ,these switches crack @ the return spring slot and fail or they burn out like yours.
Remove all that tape of the loom and make sure the wiring isn't butchered inside also,if so fix it properly.
Good luck.
partwerks
I didn't see any cracks on the aftermarket switch, and put in a OEM one from Pelican, and lasted a few seconds, and so I noticed that after the fact, but not sure that was what caused the smoking wires, but thought I would ask. Has another connector to replace it with.
barefoot
If the red wire had only very marginal electrical contact with the switch, high resistance would produce heat. Not sure what the red wire does ??
wndsrfr
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 9 2019, 04:34 AM) *

If the red wire had only very marginal electrical contact with the switch, high resistance would produce heat. Not sure what the red wire does ??

agree.gif
Easy for there to be a high resistance with a loose fit on the spade connector & heat makes it worse.
Tighten the female ends slightly with needle nose pliers to get a tight connection...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.