Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct jack stand placement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seventyfive914
Hello all. I put my car up on jack stands this afternoon down in the garage so I can get up under there and repair some recently discovered rust damage along the inner lower edge where the old floor pan had rusted out. I just want to know if I should be concerned about leaving the car up on the stands for a few days while I get the repairs finished. The longs are still good and rigid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for any input. Regards, -K-
tat2dphreak
mine's been on jack stands for a year... I use the 4 factory jack donuts... you shouldn't have any issues...
Seventyfive914
Thanks for the reply. That'll let me rest easy not having to worry about tweaking out the tub. There's no motor or trans in now either so less weight to worry about stressing the chassis, the old girl has enough issues as it is. Regards, -K-
SirAndy
if you need to work on the long, you can also use the front round part of the trailing arms or the engine cross bar (if sideshifter) if the motor is still in the car.

wink.gif Andy
John
Check both door gaps while the car is on the ground, and while the car is up on stands.

If the door gaps change while jacking up your car or while it is sitting on stands, you have reason to be concerned.

If your door gaps change, then you need to brace the tub to hold the door gaps constant while performing your repairs. If the tub moves during your repairs, it will be more difficult to repair than if you were to brace the car BEFORE any rust repairs are made.

Just my $0.02 worth of advice.

John
Jeroen
anyplace where it isn't rusted laugh.gif
Seventyfive914
Thanks for all the input gentlemen. I currently have the doors off so I have complete access to everything, but I will re-hang 'em to check the gaps now that the cars up on the stands. The doors are super light 'cause I gutted 'em so it's very easy to do. Regards, -K-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.