Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6.5x15 Steel'ies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brainf18
I was looking for a set of 6.5x15 steel wheels for track days. I wanted to run 205/15's all the way around. Wasn't able to find any low cost "off the shelf" solutions for an unmodified 4x130 bold pattern. So I settled on 5.5in wheels and ordered a set from Sierra Madre Classics. ($59 each)

When the wheels arrived, they looks suspiciously larger than 5.5 inchs. So I put a tape measure on them and to my surprise they were just a few mils under 6.5 inches wide. I test mounted this morning and the backspacing and offset were spot on. Problem solved. Though others might like to know...

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Steel-Whe...1-2-p19583.html

[/url] Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
michael7810
I don’t know how to measure wheels but those are 5-1/2 measured on the inside of the bead edge
porschetub
agree.gif its done on the inside where the tyre mounts...wish they made a 6.5'' size they would sell like hot cakes IMO.
mark04usa
Sure is a fine looking steely, though. Haven't seen any 6.5" steelies.
brainf18
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 8 2019, 06:58 PM) *

agree.gif its done on the inside where the tyre mounts...wish they made a 6.5'' size they would sell like hot cakes IMO.

If that's the case then its still a 6 in wheel....Can still run a 205 tire.
DickSteinkamp
Wheels are measured inside to inside of the bead. You have 5 1/2" wheels.
mepstein
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 8 2019, 07:52 PM) *

Yep.
brainf18
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 8 2019, 07:52 PM) *

Well bummer! thanks for the clarification. If you hear of anyone making 6.5in steel wheels let me know. I guess I'll just run 195's and be happy!
michael7810
I run 205s on my 2L Fuchs and they are 5.5s. 30K miles with no problems
porschetub
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 9 2019, 10:58 AM) *

Yep said that dry.gif ,don't know anyone making a wheel this width ,you will be fine with 205's as so many doing the same,keep the profile correct and that saves a incorrect speedo reading also.
chrisg
What do they weigh? I assume all steelies of similar size are in the 18.5 lb. range, but just for curiosity sake, can you let us know?
brainf18
QUOTE(chrisg @ Jun 8 2019, 10:01 PM) *

What do they weigh? I assume all steelies of similar size are in the 18.5 lb. range, but just for curiosity sake, can you let us know?

Digital scale says 18.1 pounds
80’s old school
Have you mounted these up yet? I want to see what these Steelies look like on the car with 195 or 205 tires.
Mark Henry
You could make your own in 15x7"
Grind the welds out of a set of old wheels for the centers, buy a set of barrels and weld them in.

A hub and a lathe with a big enough swing would make the lay-up job easy.
I did the 24" front wheels on my tractor with just a straightedge and a caliper and it runs straight, mounting/measuring on a lathe will be very accurate.

When I bought my barrels 15x7" were available.
sixnotfour
Wheel, OEM VW, Steel, Silver, 15 in. x 6 in., 4 x 130mm Bolt Circle, 5 in. Backspace, Each $62

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-131-5630/overview/
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 24 2019, 01:28 PM) *

Wheel, OEM VW, Steel, Silver, 15 in. x 6 in., 4 x 130mm Bolt Circle, 5 in. Backspace, Each $62

I thought 4.75" was the most backspacing you can get on the rear of a 914
IronHillRestorations
I was wrong. 7" 911R wheels will go on the back of a 914 and the backspacing for those is 138mm which is 5.43"
80’s old school
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 24 2019, 02:28 PM) *

Cool. If this size is for real. This will be the ticket for me.

Thanks.

I will check into this further. I noticed my local Americas Tire carries this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.