Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know the diameter of the cigarette lighter hole?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Anyone know the diameter of the cigarette lighter hole on a '70 /4 car?

I have a USB adapter but it doesn't fit correctly (too lose) and after some reading it appears that the power ports on modern cars are slightly smaller than old cigarette lighter openings.

I can't get to my car right now to look for myself so i was hoping someone may have solved this already and remembers the size of USB outlet i need.
idea.gif

Olympic 914
Maybe a little Ghetto but I stick a piece of zip tie into the lighter hole then insert the plug.

Works with the Garmin plug and the phone charger.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jun 10 2019, 02:45 PM) *

Maybe a little Ghetto but I stick a piece of zip tie into the lighter hole then insert the plug.

Works with the Garmin plug and the phone charger.

biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a bit more permanent solution.

I don't smoke so i'd like to replace the whole cigarette lighter assembly with a USB outlet, just need to know the diameter of the hole in the dash.
beerchug.gif
wes
On a previous 914 I replaced it with a newer unit I perched at a auto store some years back don’t remember the store but I believe there easily available. All you need is the socket but if I remember rightly it came with the complete unit lighter and socket and the knob unscrewed to change to the old one for aesthetic’s. Easy even for me and this weekend I remembered I need to do it to my present car.
SirAndy
I'm hoping something like this will fit:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4D484N/ref=ss...6b-b7864d6bce3e

IPB Image

IPB Image
jcd914
I tried to measure the hole in the dash panel but the vinyl and metal trim kept interfering.

The cigar lighter body measures 23.5mm OD and has a lip/edge that measures 26mm OD.

Jim

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 10 2019, 05:04 PM) *
I tried to measure the hole in the dash panel but the vinyl and metal trim kept interfering.
The cigar lighter body measures 23.5mm OD and has a lip/edge that measures 26mm OD.

Thank you Sir!

So the USB piece i posted above won't work, the base is wider than 26mm
sad.gif

jcd914
Some of the USB chargers the go in the cigar lighter have heavier springs to account for the different ID of the sockets.
I have 2 from my car and 1 is about 20mm OD and the springs are kind of soft. It fits loose in the 914 socket probably won't keep contact.
The other I have barely fits in a modern lighter socket and is tough to pull out. In the 914 socket it fits snug and would probably stay put.
It is 21mm OD and the spring pieces are at 25mm.

The name on it is iSmart with 2 2.4A ports and seems to work pretty good in my truck and Jetta.
It came through Amazon but I don't remember the cost.

Jim

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I replaced my lighter with a double plug USB port and it’s much better than trying to make one of the adapter plugs work. I also used an ashtray with a phone “clamp” screwed to it to hold my phone. I’ve got an app with a speedometer and one that monitors the sound level. Just picked up 2 sets of Bluetooth ear buds so I can listen to some tunes too.

It a whole new world with tech
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.