Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need an Oil Cooler for my 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmilzoff
I recently had a 3.2 liter installed in my 914-6. I'm running 180 deg. under normal driving but this car will be used primarily for DE track events.
How difficult is it to install an oil cooler up front? Where do I connect the lines? Do I need an oil pump? Are there adjustable thermotats or do I pick a temp for the cooler to operate (180?). I need help in selecting parts and for installation. HELP!
campbellcj
Search the earlier threads for "oil cooler" "fluidyne" "mocal" "troutman" and so forth and you'll find a ton of info and pics...
fuch toy
Do a DE and see how it reacts....unless ya wanna toss money at a percieved problem.
Brando
Look for a Mercedes Benz transmission oil cooler.

Right hieght, width and length for the front section.
neo914-6
Which year/model? Mine (w124 86-93) is integral with the radiator...
Brando
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 26 2005, 12:17 AM)
Which year/model? Mine (w124 86-93) is integral with the radiator...

I'll ask the mercedes guys next door on tuesday... i freakin fergot.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Brando @ Jun 26 2005, 04:02 AM)
Look for a Mercedes Benz transmission oil cooler.
Right hieght, width and length for the front section.

do they use 20W-50 oil in those thansmissions?

'cause the transmission coolers i've seen have had passages *way* too small for use as an engine oil cooler for a 3,2 ... i hate it when the cure is worse than the disease...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (dmilzoff @ Jun 25 2005, 09:31 PM)
I recently had a 3.2 liter installed in my 914-6.
... Where do I connect the lines? Do I need an oil pump? Are there adjustable thermotats or do I pick a temp for the cooler to operate (180?). I need help in selecting parts...

you need a basic and fundamental understanding of how this stuff works. RUN, do not walk, to a bookstore or click to Amazon for a copy of Bruce Anderson's "911 Performance Handbook." he speaks at some length about 911 oiling systems.

do the suggested search here and you will find many threads on installation. another topic to search on "GT AND cooling AND shroud" will give you an idea of how to cut your front trunk for the install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.