Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjustment issues !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Got the car out of storage for a startup and short drive yesterday,noticed the engagement point is high on the pedal (again),obviously isn't happy there,and not fun to drive this way.
Sometime back I shimmed the ball pivot as it was clear the throw out lever was contacting the gearbox casing...not by much but after measurement it appeared my flywheel had been resurfaced @ some stage but still in spec.
Cable was new when I did the 6 conversion 708kms ago,and I cant find any movement in the tunnel tube,clutch is new and all wear parts replaced on the throw-out lever and bearing,have new 914rubber cable roller also.
Really got me buggered this one ,why do I need to adjust it so often.....bad cable who knows.
TIA
Spoke
I went through about a month of clutch adjustments before the cable snapped.
IronHillRestorations
I've seen problems caused by a faulty roll pin in the pedal cluster. The rub is that you can't always see it, and the only way to know for sure is to take out the pedal cluster. A broken tube at the firewall is pretty easy to spot, just have someone push the pedal whilst you watch the tube.
porschetub
Thanks for the replies folks ;
Spoke was the cable new? I don't remember the brand I bought off Pelican but remember most use them,maybe I have a bad one ?.
Perry,pedal assembly fully rebuilt and all good ,new bronze bushes and repaired the the flogged out clutch arm and replaced the clevis.
Done the test on the tube and only slight deflection near the front in the tunnel,I do think the pedal is somewhat heavy however,is that telling me anything ????.
Again thanks.
rjames
Is the nut loosening itself on the transmission end of the cable?
rjames
Double post
porschetub
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 12 2019, 06:27 PM) *

Is the nut loosening itself on the transmission end of the cable?

No both nuts are there and locked together, beer.gif
Rand
Every lurker is wondering if the firewall crack is a thing.
porschetub
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 13 2019, 08:35 AM) *

Every lurker is wondering if the firewall crack is a thing.

No indication of that when last on a hoist to fix an oil leak,car has had little use since then except for running up the motor monthly.
Keep the idea's coming however,I will make a checklist and go into it all,Perrys comment got me thinking about the dreaded roll pin ,nothing to say it hasn't broken after my pedal box rebush job confused24.gif .
beerchug.gif
bdstone914
@ porschetub

' date='Jun 11 2019, 09:12 PM' post='2721801']
Thanks for the replies folks ;
Spoke was the cable new? I don't remember the brand I bought off Pelican but remember most use them,maybe I have a bad one ?.
Perry,pedal assembly fully rebuilt and all good ,new bronze bushes and repaired the the flogged out clutch arm and replaced the clevis.
Done the test on the tube and only slight deflection near the front in the tunnel,I do think the pedal is somewhat heavy however,is that telling me anything ????.
Again thanks.
[/quote]

Another member reported that a Terry cable had more drag and harder pedal. Seems they use larger wire strands.
I woul have guessed it was a broken clutch tube. Can you see if the middle clutch tube support is in tact? A small mirror should let you see. Here is a cut -a - way of the tunnel showing the middle attachment.
porschetub
Thanks Bruce ,guess this should be rechecked as it was a while ago ,it could have broken away since then ?.
My cable is a Gemo brand I got from Pelican,will report back when I get time to do it, beerchug.gif .

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.