Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Avoiding Dash Cracks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
I have a perfect dash and want to keep it that way. I was wondering about these custom sun shades http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=42612 that I saw on eBAy. These shades can be custom made for any car. I don't want a cardboard POS. Eddy
JeffBowlsby
Those shades help keep direct sun and heat from the cabin which is a good thing, but the real culprit on dash cracks is the COLD from the winter. They are shrinkage cracks. Heat expands, cold shrinks. Same with the outside plastic lenses...they crack from exposure to cold. If you car experiences cold, or abrupt changes from hot to cold (like a high altitude setting) it will crack.
fuch toy
Don't have sex on them in a snow storm.
Eddie914
SmoothEddie,

Your car looked great at the Greenwood car show today.

Sorry I couldn't stop and visit.

Eddie
IronHillRestorations
Here ya go!
smooth_eddy
Your car looked great at the Greenwood car show today.

Sorry I couldn't stop and visit.

Eddie

beerchug.gif Thanks Eddie914
ejm
but the real culprit on dash cracks is the COLD from the winter.

That can't be the only factor...my '74 has a perfect dash and has had unheated winter storage at least since '82 with temps to -25. It also has an unfaded heater knob and seat belt "press" buttons so it's been stored out of the sun. I think the sun has a lot to do with drying out the material.

Perry's cover is the way to go cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.